What Parts To Stock Up On?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mike J

Hunter
OK, So after reading about the P90 & P944 being discontinued I started thinking. What replacement parts would an intelligent fellow that owns one of these pistols stow away while they are still available? I was thinking a recoil spring/guide rod assembly might be a good thing to have. Any other suggestions? What spring kits might be available?

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I'm not up on those models, but a standard "kit" would include things like extractors, an ejector or two, a complete spring kit, roll pins, and anything in the mechanism that is subject to wear. Pick up a few extra mag springs while you can, unless the mag is used in other, current models.

-- Sam

roylt

Hunter
I heard people say they have shot thousands and thousands of rounds and their gun is great. How do these parts wear out? and how do you know?

I've heard others say better get a guide rod and spring. Why? I don't get it. I am very new to guns though.

I shoot very little and don't think I can out live any of my guns.

Might be a simple case of me being a novice though.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Demilled parts kits show up on Gunbroker all the time and usually sell for less than $100.00. That would be the quickest way to stock up. I really wish someone like Wolff would make recoil springs for the P-series, right now we're stuck with used or trying to squeeze 'em out of Ruger.

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
Being that there is a million+ P-series pistols out there---I wouldn't worry too much----somebody will pick up the slack if Ruger doesn't step up to the plate.

Rugerlvr

Bearcat
If Wolff doesn't start making springs for them, I'd eat my hat. It will be a few years, and demand will skyrocket.

revhigh

Hawkeye
No need to stock up on anything .... ths sky is not falling, and Ruger will have plenty of parts for these guns. Not only that ... it's rare that any parts on these guns fail anyway.

I wouldn't stock up on anything.

REV

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
No need to stock up on anything .... ths sky is not falling, and Ruger will have plenty of parts for these guns. Not only that ... it's rare that any parts on these guns fails anyway.

REV

That's pretty much the way I feel. No stocking up on things I'd probably never have use for. :)

Hitides

Bearcat
Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:28 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Wolff doesn't start making springs for them, I'd eat my hat. It will be a few years, and demand will skyrocket.

If you want recoil springs Midway has them. #446437, $2.49. The guide rod is #139169, $4.19. I recieved mine yesterday.

P90

Single-Sixer
The most likely part to need to be replaced is the Magazine latch spring. They were poorly designed and Ruger had to replace a lot of them.

roylt

Hunter
I am trying to fix a P944DC and need some springs for the decocker part. Looked around here and "there" and finally called Ruger. The 3 parts I need are 6.50 plus 3.50 ship. I see a lot of new parts for sale here and on other sites that you can get cheaper if you go right to Ruger. It bothers me a little that people are taking advantage but I guess if you can't figure out to go to the source directly than you deserve to pay the extra.

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
Anyone know roughly how much would have to be shot through those barrels before they were shot out enough to best be replaced? I imqagine it's quite some time, but depending on how long you want to keep the gun and how often you shoot it....

resident

Single-Sixer
btrumanj said:
revhigh said:
No need to stock up on anything .... ths sky is not falling, and Ruger will have plenty of parts for these guns. Not only that ... it's rare that any parts on these guns fails anyway.

REV

That's pretty much the way I feel. No stocking up on things I'd probably never have use for. :)

Exactly! Ruger customer-service already takes care of any parts anyone needs usually for no charge at all, so why reduce the available supply just for hoarding?

Verndog

Blackhawk
I've noticed Ruger doesn't even list alot of parts for my SR9c on their site. Stuff like recoil springs, and pins that I may want to have just in case isn't listed. Where do you go to find these parts, and why isn't Ruger carrying these for parts sales?

BulkAmmo

Bearcat
I wouldn't worry about buying a large set of parts unless plan on doing large amounts of shooting 75k rounds plus. You could just keep an eye out for the springs, extractors, but I would only get them if you find them on sale. Ruger CS will take care of you and if you shoot enough ammo to really wear it out. Paying for it to be fixed by Ruger would be money well spent.

GhosT

Blackhawk
Mike J,

Bummed that they discontinued the P90,even thought never owned one.
Still think the second best SEMI-auto handgun Ruger ever put out!
{first..the mark series rim-fires}

Crap, think I would buy 2...so could use one for parts!

one78shovel

Bearcat
I have a P90 I purchased in 92. I have put many a many rounds down her pipe and it just begs for more.

Nothing gives sign it needs attention. Not worried about spares.

So I put about 100 rounds in her tube today.

It's my favorite weapon.

-178S

roylt

Hunter
So there is a wrinkle on finding parts. Or at least I can't find this. Anyone know of a source?

P93DC Guide rod assembly with springs etc. Has to have the tip on it.

Ruger told me too bad. Brownells same. Midway said they aren't sure if it has the tip or not and couldn't get me the answer so told them never mind. Also there is no return and a 60 day wait.

Thanks in advance,

Actually if I could find the guide rod assy without the tip I could change the barrel lug if need be.