what makes an OM single six worth $1600 ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I'm new here and if this type of post is not allowed please remove and accept apology.

I watched a Gunbroker auction for a 1955 flat latch single six. Pretty good shape. It sold for > $1600.

I'll link it if that's acceptable but easily found if you search Completed and sort by Bid count High-low.

What am I missing on the value?

Curiously only NR and low bid count bidders after $500. Legit or just a fake-shill auction?

thanks

If I wanted to give people the benefit of a doubt, I would say it was people that didn't know any better and got caught up in the auction. I haven't looked this up. What kind of rating did the seller have?
I can't think of very many circumstances where I would pay that much.

They are worth what collectors will pay. While it's not hard to find a flat gate single six, a matching box with paperwork will bring a premium. Anyone who thinks these guns are still only worth $600 well here's your example 🤷‍♂️

Durango Dave

Single-Sixer
It takes at least 2 people bidding for something they really want to drive the price up.
On the other hand you can get great deals on collectables when no collectors happens to see it.
This is just a 22LR.
outragous.jpg

Papalote

Single-Sixer
And then you have the sellers that get someone to bid on it and run the price up. Of course I'm older and still don't trust things on the net. I have met some very nice people on the forums and received good answers to my questions

contender

Ruger Guru
For the OP,, first off,, "Welcome to the Forum!"

As for why a FlatGate Single-Six would bring that much,, it would have to have a specific reason.
A 2-digit serial number,, or maybe a 3-digit serial number for example. But if it was made in 1955,, then that's not very likely,, since they came out in 1953.
Then,, maybe there is a provenance of who previously owned the gun,, say a famous gun writer or other celebrity type.

Or,, maybe it has an unusual marking,, such as a "S" (sample gun) or whatever.

Otherwise,, that gun sold for more than what most real Ruger collectors would pay for one.

That would have to be very special in some way or the bidders didn't know what it really was.
I am heading to a gun show on Saturday and taking the price page from RENE and my RENE pocket edition and a copy of my 03 FFL. I know what I am looking for, just hope I find it.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Here is the link:

It is a nifty palindrome serial number but that shouldn't necessarily drive the price so high. Maybe the buyer has a consecutive number. RENE value for a nice Type 3 flatgate is $725 and another $210 for the early no-catalog number box, so a $1K price wouldn't be too shocking. RENE prices are consensus guidelines from a survey of collectors valuing 95% or better condition guns and certainly higher condition examples will bring more. This one does look to be a high condition revolver. Blue Book shows 100% at $1150, 98% at $900, and 95% at $750, but makes no distinction for the types (a type 1 would fetch considerably more than a type 3 for instance, so Blue Book is more generalized).

...nice ,but I too feel top, top of the cost/value ,ala "too much"...but as we say again its the "pucker factor".....maybe someone has the consecutive number?? I sold the same vintage gun in Dec boxed and all at the Akron show for $950........basically a $600-700 gun with a $200 plus box, if nice, with papers, etc,,,add more if you got the shipper, and I recall the last one we got for my wife had the "split shipper"........oooohh sweet:cool::rolleyes:;)

You guys are getting this What Is It Worth thing upside down. Don't look at what it is worth to you that doesn't mean crapola It is what it is worth to the buyer that counts Son and I run into this all the time with airplanes or houses on airparks. We see a plane/house sell for high $$ and say what the hell was that all about. For example Grandson sells planes for a living and sold a Carbon Cub to the Walton family. Do you think they care about price if they want something bad enough. What if it was Hank Williams Jr that wanted the flatgate in the OP. Do you think he would care about a few hundred $$$. Bottom line if you got the big $$$ and want something bad enough. Well that is what having the big bucks is all about. If you are going to run with the big dogs you have to get off of the porch with the puppies :):):)

Latest posts