OM Single Six Hammer concern

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HogMaintainer

Bearcat
This really isn't so much of a concern, than just a desire to get the gun to have the appropriate locking positions for the hammer. The gun shoots fine as is, but I would like to have a hammer that locks in the 3 positions that it was designed to. Is the best way to "fix" this by buying a hammer second-hand? I'd imagine they are pretty difficult to find.

Aaron

Has the gun been "converted" by Ruger or is your Old Model hammer damaged?

There are several OM Single Six hammers for sale on eBay currently.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted,, make sure you get an OM hammer,, OF THE PROPER HEIGHT. there are (2) different Single-Six hammer heights. see the picture,, (as it was provided long ago by our good friend, and former forum owner,, Flatgate! RIP Carl, whom as I've been reminded of,, stole the picture from WMG!)

Ruger hammers.jpg

The far right,, a Bearcat hammer, the next two to the left, Single-Six hammers. the shorter one is for the guns with adjustable sights,, while the taller one is for the fixed rear sighted guns.

Last edited:
just a note, they do NOT "lock" in all three positions, only the the two of them, all OM Rugers as the Colt SAA go "click" 4 time and lock ( stay) in two of them....;)

hmm, seem to recall I had an old cap & Ball and it may have stayed back on the first (low position notch to keep off the nipples???hell its been almost 60s years ago??:unsure::rolleyes:

...and YES, if you have adjustable rear sight there will be a "flat" at the top of the front edge, of the hammer,to clear the sight if its adjusted all the way DOWN......;)

Last edited:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Remove your hammer to inspect:
the trigger sear will only lock into the first two notches, but they can be busted off if the trigger is pulled too hard or the gun is dropped on the hammer when locked into one of them.

The 3rd notch, the full cock notch is just a ledge. If either of the first two notches are no longer a hooked shape, the hook has been broken off.

Let us know what you find.

Latest posts