What Makes a Good Field Holster by Bob Campbell

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I always thought one of these worked fine.
Especially for the cost.

Holster-M-12-OD-G.I.-Army-Navy-Marines-Air%20Force-Armed%20Forces-Mcguire%20Army%20navy.jpg

Pat-inCO said:
Especially for the cost.

Holster-M-12-OD-G.I.-Army-Navy-Marines-Air%20Force-Armed%20Forces-Mcguire%20Army%20navy.jpg

Yep, and with all the accessories it can be worn a dozen different ways.

It's a wonderful example of what can happen when an expert designs and manufactures something without the government getting in the way. John Bianchi paid for it all out of his pocket. Then the military bought it.

Cholo

Staff member
Yes, but nothing beats quality leather! I found the article fascinating. I especially liked the pics of Craig building that beautiful holster.

DGW1949

Hunter
Pat-inCO said:
Especially for the cost.

IMO, that is the best military holster ever devised, so yeah....it follows that it's an excellent field holster as well.

DGW

DGW1949

Hunter
charlesappel said:
Wow! I have never seen a flap holster with a buckle. :shock:

That's not a buckle. It's a ring which when pulled down and slightly outward, releases the holster's gun-retention device. All in all, a rather well thought out design...secure, easy/quick to use, and more "snatch proof" than the earlier designs.

DGW

CraigC

Hawkeye
DGW1949 said:
charlesappel said:
Wow! I have never seen a flap holster with a buckle. :shock:

That's not a buckle. It's a ring which when pulled down and slightly outward, releases the holster's gun-retention device. All in all, a rather well thought out design...secure, easy/quick to use, and more "snatch proof" than the earlier designs.

DGW
Unlike the rest of you, charlesappel is actually referring to a holster in the article.

It is a buckle and I assume they do it that way because the holsters are made to fit a variety of handguns. Makes it pretty slow to access but definitely secure!

whichwatch

Blackhawk
Jeepnik said:
Cholo said:
Yes, but nothing beats quality leather! I found the article fascinating. I especially liked the pics of Craig building that beautiful holster.

Well, I really don't like using leather when doing activities that involve lots of water, especially salt water.

Don't skinny dip with your holster on :D

whichwatch said:
Jeepnik said:
Cholo said:

Well, I really don't like using leather when doing activities that involve lots of water, especially salt water.

Don't skinny dip with your holster on :D

Sadly, I have a bad habit of falling in when I'm around water. My best one was falling off the stern of my BIL's boat when we had a couple of large blues in the area. I may not have walked on water, but I bet I beat any Olympic record ever set for moving through the water.