What grip frame is this?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MacEntyre

Single-Sixer
Contender taught me to check the grips on a BH, and install a nylon bushing to prevent damage from over tightened grip screws. So, I took the grips off my 4.5" New Model Blackhawk 41 magnum, and found a grip frame I have never seen. It's got a funky gizmo at the bottom of the hammer strut & spring, and one identifier: "H".

What is this? Am I such a lover of vintage iron that I've just never seen the latest?

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
Hondo44 will be along shortly to tell you about this lock and how to remove it with Brownells part number 780-000-948AK. You should have a set of keys to go along with this funky gizmo that will fit in the other side.

MacEntyre

Single-Sixer
Hmmm... no keys came with it.

Is it a Ruger grip frame?

Also, the part# you listed is a different mainspring seat.

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
Yes it is a Ruger Grip Frame. It's a lock to prevent the revolver from operating, one of those genius safety features. They scrapped the idea after several months of production. You can you-tube on how to remove it. According to Hondo44 it is a piece of cake to do away with it. I had some in my Ruger New Vaqueros that I replaced.

MacEntyre

Single-Sixer
Ok, thanks!

Off to YouTube to see what I need to do to get that lock out of there...

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
According to the Guru's on the subject when you cock the hammer back and insert the pin and move the hammer forward you can slip all the pieces out with out removing the grip frame from the cylinder frame. I did mine the old way and removed the grip frame to replace the lock.

If you were closer I'd bring over my screw drivers and we would do it.

Good luck
JPG

MacEntyre

Single-Sixer
JPGLSG said:
If you were closer I'd bring over my screw drivers and we would do it.
Although I appreciate the help, and would welcome your visit, I probably can manage it ok.

The part number you posted is the spring seat that replaces the gizmo, right?

MacEntyre

Single-Sixer
Did a little homework on this 2008 pistol and it's lawyer lock. Since this setup has a lighter spring and longer lock time, and since some grip panels might not fit, I am inclined to change the grip frame, strut, spring and seat... not right away, perhaps after the new year.

contender

Ruger Guru
All good info above.
Yep,a Ruger "lock" to appease the idiots in a few states where locks are required on guns. Glad to see them go away.

Jim Puke

Hunter
MacEntyre said:
and since some grip panels might not fit,

When you remove the lock...the problem of grip fit goes away. With the lock present, there has to be relief area in the grip for the lock...with the lock gone, there is no need for the grip to have that relief cutout, so any of the grips for the New Vaquero's will fit.

cadillo

Blackhawk
JPGLSG said:
Hondo44 will be along shortly to tell you about this lock and how to remove it with Brownells part number 780-000-948AK. You should have a set of keys to go along with this funky gizmo that will fit in the other side.

Just curious. When you replace the original part with the one you've indicated, are you not also changing out the mainspring and strut? If so, what are their source and part numbers?

MacEntyre

Single-Sixer
Jim Luke said:
When you remove the lock...the problem of grip fit goes away.
But the longer lock time remains because the spring is lighter than the one in models with no lawyer lock.

cadillo said:
Just curious. When you replace the original part with the one you've indicated, are you not also changing out the mainspring and strut?
The part number JPGLSG provided is for a replacement spring seat that works in that grip frame, with the shorter mainspring.

It's when you replace the grip frame that you need a new strut, spring and seat.