Wal Mart 10-22 question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
My local Wal Mart quit selling guns some time back. At one time Ruger produced a 10-22 for Wal Mart with a stainless rifle length barrel, rubber but pad, sling swivel loops, and hardwood stock.

I've been thinking a 10-22 should be part of the firearms collection and the above Wal Mart gun appeals to me more than anything currently in the catalog.

Anyone know if they still make this gun for Wal Mart?

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=222212898

No, they made this rifle for Walmart and sportsman's warehouse. I think its called a 10/22 Sporter. The stocks have an identical staining shade but the sportman's warehouse version was walnut. Goodluck on your quest because the velocity and accuracy are awesome. I can drill squirrel heads all day off my porch rail at 110 yards. The appeal for me is wood, leather, and stainless combination. I was going to build one from parts until this came along.

Ruger1022.jpg

Dirt Nap

Bearcat
LuckenbachTexas said:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=222212898

No, they made this rifle for Walmart and sportsman's warehouse. I think its called a 10/22 Sporter. The stocks have an identical staining shade but the sportman's warehouse version was walnut. Goodluck on your quest because the velocity and accuracy are awesome. I can drill squirrel heads all day off my porch rail at 110 yards. The appeal for me is wood, leather, and stainless combination. I was going to build one from parts until this came along.

Ruger1022.jpg

You have a beautiful classic rifle. :)

firebirdude

Bearcat
I think I read.. on this message board I believe... that the 10/22 offered at WalMart was slightly different than the "real" model Ruger released. If I remember right, it was some lower quality offerings.

9x19

Hunter
firebirdude said:
I think I read.. on this message board I believe... that the 10/22 offered at WalMart was slightly different than the "real" model Ruger released. If I remember right, it was some lower quality offerings.

If you read it, it was BS... the WM 10/22s were of no lesser quality than any others at the time. I suspect some of those who have to compete with WM for sales likely start such nonsense rumors.

There was one difference between these and regular 10/22s... The receivers on the WM 22" bbl guns were marked 10/22 Rifle rather than 10/22 Carbine.

1022TR1.jpg

1022VR.jpg

Miata Mike

Bearcat
I have owned a 1981 era 10/22 Sporter model forever, and just love it! Too bad it isn't stainless steel. but for $75 I'm not complaining. :D

Dirt Nap

Bearcat
Here is my favorite 10-22 and it is a Carbine type. I got this rifle my 10th B-Day in 1973, and it's 40 years old. It has the original stock, barrel, trigger, springs, bolts, and sights. I have added several different scopes over the years on her. If you notice the Bi-Pod legs are reversed. That is because I have a favorite range bag for this rifle and when the Bi-Pod legs are installed properly it puts a lot of tension on the bags zipper near the barrel. By switching the legs, it goes in the bag nicely and I never shot this rifle off-hand unsupported any longer.

I treat this rifle the same as they day I got it from my father.

I have hunted rabbit, fox, squirrel, Turkey and even bagged a Pheasant a long time ago with this rifle. I bet I have close to a million rounds shot from her. That is not an exaggeration because when I was a small boy the local farmers would hire me to clear their property of wild game, and in return they would by my brother, friends, and I boxes of ammunition as payment. We set up a shooting range in the meadows and would shoot all day long and just around sunset and at dawn, we would bag a fox or two. We would hang the fox from the farmer's front tree, and the next day he would have a few boxes of ammo, a couple bottles of coke, and sometimes when we were lucky, a homemade apple pie in a nice package under his front tree. We cleaned up our brass and never left any trash on his farm. We were regulars at his family farm for years and the farmer and his wife basically adopted all the local boys. They are good people and shared their land and in re-turn we learned respect.

My four daughters learned to shot using this rifle and in about two years my grandson will also get behind the trigger of our family Ruger and learn how to y respect and shoot firearms.

I have bought dozens of rifles and pistols. You couldn't make me an offer on this rifle. Not while, I am above the dirt. :) I shoot this rifle at least once a week at the range and give her a good cleaning every time.

Dirt Nap

196456_1931561134671_1411543399_32212194_1903791_n.jpg

black1970

Blackhawk
The WM designation was K 22/22. Meaning stainless and a 22 inch barrel. I have one NIB. Everyone says they shoot. I think I am going to finf out.