Two Piece Bolt Picture Needed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SATCOM

Blackhawk
Can somebody please post a picture or drawing of the old two piece bolts use in the .22 autos in the early 50s? I have pictures in books but need a digital picture for a guy on another site. You know it is difficult to explain but picture makes it easy.

Thanks.

SATCOM

look in the center of the 'flat' and you can see the outline of the two pieces together, there is another variation, where the "flat" is the opposite........

note, , if you have a gun that has this type of bolt, just a word of caution, they can and do "come apart" when firing, years ago, you could send your RST or MK I back and they would install an updated ,one piece bolt....they also years later came out with another version of this type of set up,but an improved method of putting the two pieces together,but gee, they stopped it again........this was in an effort to "save" metal" as the bolts were turned down from a larger piece of steel, and to save steel for the Korean war effort, they used a I-inch bar stock, smaller, and pressed on the "plate" ( ear piece/wing)

hope this helps................

no, the "original" one piece bolts, all in the 'white' started at 1949 and the 'two piece did not appear until as I noted , the advent of the Korean War conflict and part of the "war effort" to save, not waste steel, Ruger went to the two piece bolt, little waste of materials, this was around 1953...YES, many years later, the Mk IIs did "try again" and use the the two piece method, but see they again went back to one piece design.........
the bolts are always in some 'flux" of changing, either to make cheaper, easier or to strengthen, make BETTER??
and over al these years these changes have occurred, as noted by the collectors and well pointed out in the Hiddleson Encyclopedia of Ruger Rimfire Semi Auto 1949-1992.................
another point if you look closely at the above picture the two different steels used in these bolts were quite different, , we often find (see) pitting in the 'flat' pieces and none in the round ( bar stock) I questioned if they used "used"??? steel................the flat pieces seem softer, and not as hard as the round stock ,could be in the 'heat treat' of the materials used...often if you come across one of these that was 'reblued" there will be a color difference in the finish, to me , its the hardness.............and again, they do "loosen" and may come apart!!