to sell or not to sell, a 22 sp101 that is...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

harley

Single-Sixer
I have noticed lately that some sp101 22lr guns have surfaced. I konw people were selling before the article but it seems to me now that I see more out there. Are people thinking about selling their guns thinking the value will drop if Ruger brings it back to the market? Will the value stay the same as it will not be made the same? Will it increase if the new version has issues.... what do you think. We are holding on to ours in our family. It shoots one ragged hole and is the family favorite. Of course we will get a new one. But should we snatch up all of the old ones we see too...

lark63

Single-Sixer
My thoughts are like yours- I like the guns. I think they are way over priced for what I would give for one on the auction sites. If I found one locally at a good price I would be a owner of course
As for the new ones- Yes I will buy after the intial introduction.
Look at some of the prices lately for the 10/22 mags on GB-WOW crazy.
Glad you are keeping yours.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I think some greedy folks are selling them before the new ones are out.

Personally I'm pretty stoked about the new one but I'd still buy an old one as long as I wasn't getting ripped off.

Major T

Blackhawk
I will buy the new one after the prices "settle down," but the fiber optic sight has to go. I am a shooter, rather than a collector so the older ones at big money have no interest here. jack

Major T

Blackhawk
I will buy the new one after the prices "settle down," but the fiber optic sight has to go. I am a shooter, rather than a collector so the older ones at big money have no interest here. jack

contender

Ruger Guru
I too own one, and have no plans to sell. The newer ones, whenever they become available, will be different,,, so I think most folks will keep theirs IF they are shooters who appreciate them. It's those folks who buy with the idea of making a buck who seem to sell all when they think they might lose money due to a market change. (This does not include the group of folks who NEED to sell or who no longer have an interest in that model.) Maybe the ones that have come up for sale are just a sign of the times where folks are needing money.

Simms65

Bearcat
I sold mine because I honestly didn't use it. I thought I'd shoot the .22LR a lot as cheap training compared to .38/.357 but I just haven't been. I just shoot my Single Six and H&R 922 a large magnitude more, and I just wasn't grabbing the .22LR SP101 out of my safe. I can't stand having a gun laying around I don't use, so away it went.

Would I buy one of the new ones at some point in the future? Maybe if one fell into my lap at the right price, but otherwise probably not.

A

Anonymous

I think a lot of people just "have to have the latest", so they are selling their old .22 SPs to get new ones. Kinda dumb. They'll likely lose money and only get two extra chambers in the deal.

I won't likely ever buy either because of the grip design, but otherwise I would prefer a six shot over the eight.

Pale Horse

Bearcat
Since I am a guy who has wanted, and shopped for, a .22 SP101 for several years now I will give you my input. I like the looks of the older ones better than the picture of the new one, but I assume the price of the new one will be around the same as the price of the other new SP101's and I will not be paying extra for a used pistol based solely on the looks.

I highly doubt the quality of the new ones will be an issue and I personally like the two extra shots. A couple months ago I almost paid $700 for a LNIB SP101 in .22 but couldn't justify the cost when a new S&W 617 cost the same. Now that I know the new SP101 is coming there is no way I would pay that price for an old one.

It's just my opinion but I think if you want to sell the older guns the time is now before the new ones hit the shelf. I doubt you will be able to get as much for it in 6 months.

Flash

Buckeye
Pale Horse said:
Since I am a guy who has wanted, and shopped for, a .22 SP101 for several years now I will give you my input. I like the looks of the older ones better than the picture of the new one, but I assume the price of the new one will be around the same as the price of the other new SP101's and I will not be paying extra for a used pistol based solely on the looks.

I highly doubt the quality of the new ones will be an issue and I personally like the two extra shots. A couple months ago I almost paid $700 for a LNIB SP101 in .22 but couldn't justify the cost when a new S&W 617 cost the same. Now that I know the new SP101 is coming there is no way I would pay that price for an old one.

It's just my opinion but I think if you want to sell the older guns the time is now before the new ones hit the shelf. I doubt you will be able to get as much for it in 6 months.

I must agree. I've owned a few over the years and never paid more than $350 for any of them and the prices they've reached are far greater than their worth, in my opinion. I definately prefer the 4" barrel over the snubbies and lastly, fully adjustable sights. The good thing about the original model is that they have paid for my new model. :)

Darkangel1846

Bearcat
Ruger Packer said:
I don't think they'll lose any value. They're an earlier version. 6 shot vs 10 shot. Metal sights vs fiber optic sights.

For now, I'm hanging onto mine. 8)

Thats what I thought was going to happen with the S&W 317 in 3 inch...instead it went up another $150.00

magnaportssk

Bearcat
P9185812.jpg

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
IMVVHO these SP's are a restart of manufacture of a product line by Ruger. It has been "improved" perhaps by the addition by the addition of two extra chambers. I sure hope so. It is going to change the trigger.
I posted on a similar thread above. I know several folks that have gone on to become very good double action revolver shooters and own GP-100's after learning the basics of DA shooting on the SP .22 six shot. I do not think the introduction of the updated product line will lower the value of the older guns. The new construction will put guns into the hands of those who want them. Mine is a training aid. Now I may have the option of a .22 magnum trail gun without great gun smithing expense. Best. Calthrop

stantheman86

Buckeye
I think that, in my opinion, the new .22 LR SP101's will lower the value of the older ones.

Not by a whole lot, but the shooters who are looking for a "trainer" will just buy the new SP.

The collectors will still buy the older ones for the insane prices 8)

I collect Ruger revolvers, and when it comes to the DA's like Sixes, GP's,etc. I look for the older ones and the odd variations.

I have always, and probably always will think of .22's as plinkers and trainers and I would pay for a new .22 SP101, rather than the same or more for a used older one.

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
I agree with all what has been written. IMMVHO the greatest value of the older guns is the instilling of muscle memory. Six timed fired shots from a .22 SP is the same as six form a 9X19mm or .32Mag. The notion that two of the three guns are obsolete, discontinued or collectable by either factory or shooters seems to matter little.

I have found that I do not shoot the older or odd variants I have accumulated over the years. I have not made much money on them either. Mostly I find them good homes.
MY .22 is showing some end shake. It is worth the money as a trainer to repair. Primarily because its trigger reset is the same as the other SP''s I have and more like the GP's.
I slept on the question last night. For the rest of the year, in the current continuing economy, I have some safe queens that I have been vacillating about. It looks as though I going to sell and repair. Calthrop

Pale Horse

Bearcat
For someone who wanted a six shot for training they could always just fill six of the eight cylinders. Personally I can see no advantage in having a lower capacity gun that is the same size.

magnaportssk

Bearcat
Purchased a 4" and had Mag-na-Port cut the barrel to 3 1/16th, and all the purty stuff. It cost one weeks pay and no, it is not for sale. It almost always go to the hunting field with me- back up gun in case of a squirrel charge. :D