Those pesky boresnakes-What to do?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Boresnakes - What to do?

• I wouldn't use a boresnake if you gave me one!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think they are great and use them all the time!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

guitarpicva

Bearcat
gunman42782 said:
...Those that do not believe that, after you think your bore is clean using your boresnake, run a patch full of your favorite solvent down the bore with the traditional methods and see how much crap the boresnake leaves. I do use them, however, on certain guns, and .22s in particular.

It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that I don't find it all that important. Using a good CLP and a BoreSnake gets the bore plenty clean and I have never had any issues with corrosion, gunk, or accuracy. It's AWFULLY shiny down in there! Spotless bores are highly overrated.

Also, I find I am more willing to clean if I use the BoreSnake. That is value in and of itself.

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
Peter Cummalotta said:
I'm thinking they should be mfg by cal. not a one size almost fits everything mindset.

What planet are you on? Boresnakes are offered by speciifc sizes.

http://www.hoppes.com/products/ca_boresnakes.html

alkpon

Bearcat
Pete, the Boresnakes are available in different calibers. As for "snapping" the cord, it wasn't a Boresnake. Ain't no way. I do recall that years ago, there was a "pull through" cord that you could lower from muzzle to chamber and screw on a regular rod-type brush. That, I can see perhaps snapping. I don't think it made any fame. With Boresnake, you'll get a little brush action and a LOT of patch action. Perfect for .22 Rimfire.
More rimfire accuracy ruined by continous, ham-fisted, scraping, gouging, mirror finished bore cleaning than any other act. 100-500-1000 rds, pull Boresnake through. Whenever.
Keep action half-a%& clean and protect from rust with occasional oil rag rubdown. Good to go. Accuracy will remain for several liefetimes and beyond.

cruzerlou

Buckeye
Heres another thing some guns by design Must be cleaned from the muzzle end .I'm not a fan of doing this ,as your putting powder fouling, lead and copper from breach to muzzle as you fire the gun.,thats how it should be cleaned .My bolt guns and M-4. are ALWAYS cleaned from the breach .My M1A , Deerfeild,10/22 Etc. have to be cleaned from the muzzle if using a cleaning rod . I soak my bore snake in hoppe's No.9 and pull it through just enough to get all the rifling and ust let it soak for 5-10 minuites and then pull it through a few times . I also have pull through brushes that I use to scrub the bore . Then I'll use a cleaning rod to get whats left with a jag and patches .One or two patches and there comming out clean using this method .
Lou