Those pesky boresnakes-What to do?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Boresnakes - What to do?

• I wouldn't use a boresnake if you gave me one!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think they are great and use them all the time!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was cleaning some rifles this weekend. I have several different types, styles and makes of 10/22 barrels. Everything from stock, match, aluminum, forged, .920's etc. I also was cleaning a lever action .22 browning. I found it interesting that I had no problem in useing a boresnake on this rifle and other .22 calibers but the thought of useing borsnakes in my target barrels seemed almost evil. I have to say the boresnake did a nice job on the .22 lever action, especially the magazine tube. I do use a boresnake that I have removed the nylon bristles from their respective location, just something about plastic scraping the nice bore of my target barrels keeps me awake at night. Do you use them on your 10/22's? Maybe I'm just A. Nut case B. Overly Cautious C. Could be on the right path D. Should date more and quit worrying about boresnakes. I appreciate any feedback you can give me on this subject.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I'm a believer in the theory of "evolutionary creationism."

This is the idea that God invented the important stuff before letting us come up w/ the fun stuff. Cleaning rods came first... ;)

BoreSnakes are take it or leave it in my book, and I don't own one, so I didn't vote (on the BoreSnake OR your personal condition!)

Rick C

gunman42782

Hunter
I am of the belief that a .22 is about the only caliber where a boresnake is somewhat useful. They are useful in other calibers, as I see it, only if you are at the range and want to give your bore a quick cleaning until you can go home and clean it proper. They will never get your bore as clean as a cleaning rod, patches, solvent, jags, and bore brushes will. Those that do not believe that, after you think your bore is clean using your boresnake, run a patch full of your favorite solvent down the bore with the traditional methods and see how much crap the boresnake leaves. I do use them, however, on certain guns, and .22s in particular.

Collector1337

Bearcat
I love my bore snake, I think it's the greatest invention for gun cleaning in a great while.

I like mine because it's a .223/5.56 AND .22 of course so I can use it on all my 22s AND my ARs.

I'd get one for other calibers, but they are over-priced if you ask me. It was worth buying for 22/223 since it's multiple guns, but it's not worth it to get more to me. If you have a large collection, have the money or multiple guns of the same caliber, I'd get a bunch.

Why so concerned about your match barrels with a bore snake? I don't think it's going to hurt them.

rich e

Single-Sixer
I use one on my mod.94/30-30 win. simply because its too damn hard to remove the bolt to clean from the bore end. I also have a 22 cal one I use on my semi's for the same reason. They are a handy tool if you don't like to clean from the muzzle end.

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
gunman42782 said:
I am of the belief that a .22 is about the only caliber where a boresnake is somewhat useful. They are useful in other calibers, as I see it, only if you are at the range and want to give your bore a quick cleaning until you can go home and clean it proper. They will never get your bore as clean as a cleaning rod, patches, solvent, jags, and bore brushes will. Those that do not believe that, after you think your bore is clean using your boresnake, run a patch full of your favorite solvent down the bore with the traditional methods and see how much crap the boresnake leaves. I do use them, however, on certain guns, and .22s in particular.
That's pretty much for what my boresnake is used. I only have a 44/45 caliber one for my P90 as well as my Super Redhawk. I use them every 4 to 6 cylinders when shooting lead. If I am shooting jacketed, I give the barrel a run through with the boresnake right before I go home but then I still get out the rods, solvents, and patches. And yup, there is still a lot of crud left behind. But there is less crud though.

Walter Rego

Single-Sixer
I use a pistol length Bore Snake on on .22's only, and for guns that I don't like to disassemble unless they are truly filthy like a Ruger auto or Colt Woodsman. With those guns, a few passes with a Bore Snake and a little solvent on a cotton swab to clean the bolt and breech faces, extractor slot and feed ramp area and they are good.
I also bought a rifle length .22 Bore Snake and found that it the fabric material is much thicker. I believe they are really made for .223 rifles and not .22 rimfires. I could barely pull in through a Mossberg M44 .22 and was afraid it would break off in the bore. I also found that the pistol length Bore Snake is long enough to clean any barrel up to about 24" anyway so I don't use the other one.

CigarGuy

Bearcat
Being the totally inept "mechanic" that I am, I don't know what else to use to clean the barrel of a revolver. The wheel falls out so I can get the rod through each one of those, but NO WAY to use the rod on the barrel.
BoreSnake for me!

A

Anonymous

I don't have one, but I think it could be handy for a "quick clean" at the range. Not a good substitute for a rod, brush, and patch cleaning. This doesn't fit your choices. so I couldn't vote!

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
CigarGuy said:
Being the totally inept "mechanic" that I am, I don't know what else to use to clean the barrel of a revolver. The wheel falls out so I can get the rod through each one of those, but NO WAY to use the rod on the barrel.
BoreSnake for me!
I've seen flexible rods that will solve that problem of cleaning a revolver barrel from the forcing cone end. That said, it is OK to clean muzzle end first if one takes care not to bang the crown.

A

Anonymous

I think the bore snakes are great expecially the viper ones, and have them for each one of my caliber guns, do not know why I would not want to own one whether I need one for the range for a quick swipe or to go through before I clean my guns, their awesome.
Eric

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Here's the deal: Nothing in a bore snake is harder than steel. In order to scratch a material, the scratcher has to be harder than the scratchee. True that softer materials can be smeared onto harder materials. Not possible to damage a steel barrel with materials in a bore snake, basic physics.

JWFilips

Single-Sixer
Rocdoc said:
Here's the deal: Nothing in a bore snake is harder than steel. In order to scratch a material, the scratcher has to be harder than the scratchee. True that softer materials can be smeared onto harder materials. Not possible to damage a steel barrel with materials in a bore snake, basic physics.

Just keep it clean and don't let it touch the ground or a dirty dusty shooting bench.I would imagine if the fabric rope were to pick up bits of sand & dirt that could so some scratching. They say they can be washed ( I have not tried that) but I do try to keep mine off the floor & I have only used it at on my cleaning bench

alkpon

Bearcat
rocdoc is on target. .22 RF are outside lubricated. They are not .460 Weatherby Magnums that foul a barrel with heat, pressure, kryptonite shavings, etc. You'll be surprised at accuracy improvement with a dirty .22 rimfire barrel vs. clean, shiny bore. And, no, it ain't gonna rust from powder/chemical transformation like centerfies.

I use a bore snake often in AR's just to wipe out the bore w/o takedown. Also find them handy for a quick oil application on 10/22 or 22/45 if it gets wet. I don't use them on bolt actions. They will not replace a good cleaning with rod and patch but are better than a weed and paper towel or knotted boot lace.

JWFilips said:
Rocdoc said:

Just keep it clean and don't let it touch the ground or a dirty dusty shooting bench.I would imagine if the fabric rope were to pick up bits of sand & dirt that could so some scratching. They say they can be washed ( I have not tried that) but I do try to keep mine off the floor & I have only used it at on my cleaning bench
I like the basic physics, angle, its simple to understand, thanks for the insight, I still think the guys at the range I know are probably useing incorrect sized boresnakes, that's why they're snappin' the cords. I'm also convinced the older ones are better than the new ones. All mine are a few years old now and I haven't tried any of the new ones. Gosh knows where they're made, and out of what. How can a boresnake be good from HMR all the way to include .223 and larger. Would you use a .223 brush in a .22, HMR etc. and vice a versa? I'm thinking they should be mfg by cal. not a one size almost fits everything mindset.

kelbro

Single-Sixer
Love 'em! Not a substitute for a thorough cleaning but my 22 bores don't like 'thorough cleanings'.