The new SR9c

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CBennett

Single-Sixer
eagle111":3f4cwj7e said:
As an added note........page 20 of MY manual states, "Release the slide to move forward by EITHER DEPRESSING THE REAR PORTION OF THE SLIDE STOP or pulling the slide fully to the rear and release it".

That SHOULD put an end to THIS discussion!

kinda like on page 10 it says the slide stop can be released by drawing beck slightly on the slide and depressing the slide stop thumb piece..thats because its pretty darn hard to jsut push it down without puling slightly back lol.

zbird

Bearcat
My manual says the same, but I can see how some people got mixed up. Page 14 in the manual says TO LOAD AND FIRE use slingshot method. But TO RELOAD THE PISTOL page 20 says it can be done either way (depressing the slide stop or slingshot) as eagle111 says. I know one thing for sure, this is a fine shooting pistol, 100 flawless rounds so far.

eagle111

Bearcat
CBennett":czyyn3vy said:
eagle111":czyyn3vy said:
As an added note........page 20 of MY manual states, "Release the slide to move forward by EITHER DEPRESSING THE REAR PORTION OF THE SLIDE STOP or pulling the slide fully to the rear and release it".

kinda like on page 10 it says the slide stop can be released by drawing beck slightly on the slide and depressing the slide stop thumb piece..thats because its pretty darn hard to jsut push it down without puling slightly back lol.

Agreed; VERY hard, nearly undoable! But you would be surprised how much better it is with just a little polishing to remove the tooling marks. ENJOY!!!!!!!!

CBennett

Single-Sixer
eagle111":had456tu said:
CBennett":had456tu said:
eagle111":had456tu said:

Agreed; VERY hard, nearly undoable! But you would be surprised how much better it is with just a little polishing to remove the tooling marks. ENJOY!!!!!!!!

i think im gonna just see if it after a few hundred rounds loosens up. I do know one thing its got one of the stronger slide springs on it that ive dealt with.

waldo1324

Bearcat
hello all -
i just purchased my first gun, a SR9 SS. I had the choice of the C but chose the full size since I want the controlability to manage recoil and so forth in home defense. Also, i dont think its out of the question to CC the big SR9. I must admit, i did notice a tighter feel in the C, which i attributed to the general small-osity of the piece.
that being said, i think the bigun draws more balanced and feels truer to sight.

anyway, fellas, fantastic site and its time to go find some way to clean out this god forsaken packing grease out of my new special lady.

eagle111

Bearcat
CBennett":2k3re0l9 said:
eagle111":2k3re0l9 said:
CBennett":2k3re0l9 said:
eagle111":2k3re0l9 said:

i think im gonna just see if it after a few hundred rounds loosens up. I do know one thing its got one of the stronger slide springs on it that ive dealt with.

Yep; they're VERY stout! I'm sure your pistol will loosen-up with use, I just didn't want to wait because I don't have that much time or $$ to devote to it!

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
CBennett":18tcvife said:
i think im gonna just see if it after a few hundred rounds loosens up.

I did a small bit of stoning of the rear surface of the slide stop and then polished with Flitz. This work did not seem to make anything easier when trying to release the slide with the slide stop. It was so stiff I had to really jam down using the thumb of my left hand.

I have fired 332 rounds so far and now I can relese the slide stop with the thumb of my firing hand. It's stiff, but now possible.

I don't think operating the slide by hand replicates the forces involved, so I think it would take LOTS of hand cycling to get there.

As to whether it's a slide stop or a slide release....I think if a manufacturer makes it so it can only be used as a slide stop, then the manufacturer missed the boat. The fact is lots and lots of people want it to function as a slide release, too.

CenterTree

Bearcat
Iron Mike Golf":3553f18e said:
As to whether it's a slide stop or a slide release....I think if a manufacturer makes it so it can only be used as a slide stop, then the manufacturer missed the boat. The fact is lots and lots of people want it to function as a slide release, too.

OH, i agree ABSOLUTELY. :!:

Too bad what we "want" and what we get are two different things. :cry:

I will just succumb to the fact that the SR9c is made with a slide STOP only.

I will still enjoy this gun though. :)

CBennett

Single-Sixer
CenterTree":368op3jk said:
Iron Mike Golf":368op3jk said:

OH, i agree ABSOLUTELY. :!:

Too bad what we "want" and what we get are two different things. :cry:

I will just succumb to the fact that the SR9c is made with a slide STOP only.

I will still enjoy this gun though. :)

me too its my primary CC gun since I traded the Glock 23 in on it...I like it better than the Glock myself.

SR9c

Bearcat
I sling shot mine anyway, it's the way I was trained, so to me, it's a moot point!

A

Anonymous

I have owned several pistols that the slide stop/release was hard to use at first. I have always been able to loosen them up either by using them or by polishing them.

I don't own an SR9C yet but I won't let the stiff slide stop/release stop me from purchasing one.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
I've got 400 rounds through mine now, and am now using it as a slide release. A bit stiff feeling when I pay attention to how it feels, but when focusing on my shooting, I am not noticing it too much. I have been shooting 5 rd magazines so it gets full scale slide lock more often. I did that for 250 rds.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
mrme":2xc4p1is said:
A variation of the original SR9 that boasts a unique, high-tech, Nitrodox Pro Black finish over the stainless steel slide. The multi-step blackening process improves durability and corrosion resistance by creating a surface hardness of 68 HRC. The extra hard finish also reduces scratching and holster wear.

I had a choice and picked the stainless over the black and BTW, this will even solidify my statement: because the black is blackened Stainless there is NO DIFFERENCE in price between the two. I like the stainless as it will show less holster wear then black just my opinion ...

mrme: I know you are certain that both variations are a stainless slide and that one just has a surface blackening...and is not some strange alloy...This following quote, however, is all that I can find on the Ruger site: A variation of the SR9c that boasts a unique, high-tech, Nitrodox Pro Black finish over the alloy steel slide and high-performance, glass-filled nylon frame.
If you could provide a link, that would be a real good thing. My other thought is that a HRC of 68 isn't very likely to show holster wear in the near future, just as Ruger says. Thanks.
Sonnytoo

MBane666

Bearcat
Put my SR9c into service this weekend as my CCW gun (my regular carry gun is a Para Carry 9). None of my favorite holstermakers had the gun yet, but Galco did have a Yaqui Slide that does the trick. I wore the gun around the house for a couple of days to make sure I wasn't bumping the little gun out of the slide when I sat down, but it doesn't seem to be a problem with the short slide.

So far, so good. It carries easily in the Galco Slide on a Wilderness Tactical Instructor belt under an untucked shirt or a Cabela's down vest. Right now it has Hornady 124-gr JHPs in it, but I have a shipment of Cor-Bon DPX coming in the next week or so.

I'm going to tool up a horizontal magazine pouch to carry 1 17-rounder fitted with the factory grip extension next week when I get some leather in. I'm also planning on making a driving-style crossdraw for the SR9c...I'm real pissy about driving holsters.

I know Crimson Trace is tooling up a laser; in the interim, I've got an Insight MX6 on the bedside gun.

Michael B

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
WHEW! Gotta mop my brow...
Hey, folks, if ya wanna see how a master does it with one of the best subcompacts out there, click this link. He shoots stock Glocks; no changed springs, barrels, nothing...out to 80 yards. You'll like this video even if you don't like Glocks. And tell me if you can do this with the SR9c. Paste this into your browser.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPvMJcmpVsQ
:) Sonnytoo

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
Rock":3gamws5h said:
As a follow up to my post; I read an interesting review of the SR9c on Gunblast, www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR9C.htm, they seemed to like it a great deal. They tested it with +p loads as well as standard and all seemed to work flawlessly.

Jeff Quinn also did a YouTube video on this gun. He is a very smart fella and tests a ton of guns.
In the video, he says, IIRC, that "it's one of the better choices if you want a smaller, accurate, gun for concealed carry." Or something like that. It did make me wonder what he considers the BEST choice to be.
He also said this about the gun: the SR9c has a thumb safety in addition to the trigger safety and firing pin safeties. The manual safety is good to have, and it sweeps downward naturally with the thumb. I do like this thumb safety, as I'm an old 1911 guy and occasionally just ramming a Glock into my belt, no holster, sometimes makes me nervous.
It also has a magazine safety, which I'm not fond of, but it can prevent an accidental discharge when you're cleaning, for example, a Glock, since you have to PULL the trigger (empty chamber please) in order to field-strip the Glock. You can easily disconnect this mag safety if desired if you don't want it.
Sonnytoo

revhigh

Hawkeye
Sonnytoo":2pnwqfgv said:
Just ramming a Glock into my belt, no holster, sometimes makes me nervous.

Whattsmatta Sonny ? ... you allergic to bullets in your hip/thigh ??? LOL :D

Gotta have trigger finger discipline !!!

REV

Mike J

Hunter
I'm not slamming Glocks but I would not carry one without a hoster that covers the trigger. It would suck to have a Plaxico Burress moment.

Rock

Bearcat
This post has developed a life of its own, sure interesting how the right subject keeps everyone's interest.

Thought I would post my buddies latest update on his SR9c, he has put another couple hundred rounds down range and has still not experienced any malfunctions. He has not observed any peening issues at this point.

He has been putting reloads together with various powders which include True-blue, HP38, W/W 231 and HS6. He is using 115gr. and 124gr. bullets and has been pushing loads close to top pressure without any observed issues at this point.

He finally found a Hi/Vis front sight and it should be delivered this week, once he gets it mounted I will let all members following this post know what his observations and results are with this sight change.

The one thing he has continually mentioned is how pleased he is with the accuracy of his SR9c; he is a very experienced shooter and has a good collection of .9mm handguns of different manufacture so sure knows something about what works and what does not regarding this caliber. He mentioned to me that he has already sold several other small .9mm he owned to other CCW holders he shoots with as the Ruger has become his favorite at this point.

Regards,

Rock

Latest posts