The new SR9c

Help Support Ruger Forum:

blairellis

Bearcat
Just went to go look at it at the local outfitters. Oh yea :) I think I found where my next $429 is going.

OldNavy

Single-Sixer
One last "me too" on the slide lock vs. slingshot issue:

When the Navy was instructing me in the proper care and feeding of the 1911 (circa 1970), the gunner's mate emphasized that the-slide-lock-is-not-a-slide-release. He stated that the only acceptable method of releasing the slide (with a loaded magazine in place) was to retract and release the slide. "If John Browning had intended you to press that thing in the heat of battle, he would have made it as large as the safety!"

I have a Ruger 22/45 which would take two men and a small boy to depress the bolt lock without first retracting the bolt.

Some pistols have slide locks specifically designed to be used as slide releases and some do not. Generally, the relative size of the slide lock is a good indicator of what the designer intended (small=lock, large=lock&release). There are a lot of good choices out there, so pick one that operates the way you prefer.

CBennett

Single-Sixer
agreed, while on toher guns I have used it to release the slide I have no problem slingshotting it..They teach several different methods in the police academy I went to both were taught and basically neither were the ones that they said but THIS ONE is better..they just said do whats comfortable..I didnt know you had to slingshot it so it came as a little surprise to me but it was not a bad surprise, I still love the gun.

eagle111

Bearcat
Hi guys; my first post as I'm new to the forum.

I just got a SR9c in stainless ($430 OTD) and wanted some more info on it and happened to find this place.

Lots of good info on here, and for that I'm appreciative. I too was frustrated with the release stiffness, I could do it but it was TOUGH! I removed the slide and honed the back of the release with a small stone, then I wrapped 320 grit around a popsicle stick and carefully polished the slide cut.

My slide now releases with the lever with a very acceptable amount of force, nearly as light as my 1911 Combat Commander.

I also did a very slight melt on the bottom edge of the frame and slide serrations with the same honing stone used on the release. I also polished the parts indicated in the sticky.

I can't believe how smooth and comfortable this pistol is now, definitely one of my favorites.

Just to let you guys who are frustrated with the release know, it EASY to fix!!!!!!!! Don't get rid of a great pistol like this for an easily fixed "problem".

CBennett

Single-Sixer
eagle111":1yo9k4il said:

I just got a SR9c in stainless ($430 OTD) and wanted some more info on it and happened to find this place.

Lots of good info on here, and for that I'm appreciative. I too was frustrated with the release stiffness, I could do it but it was TOUGH! I removed the slide and honed the back of the release with a small stone, then I wrapped 320 grit around a popsicle stick and carefully polished the slide cut.

My slide now releases with the lever with a very acceptable amount of force, nearly as light as my 1911 Combat Commander.

I also did a very slight melt on the bottom edge of the frame and slide serrations with the same honing stone used on the release. I also polished the parts indicated in the sticky.

I can't believe how smooth and comfortable this pistol is now, definitely one of my favorites.

Just to let you guys who are frustrated with the release know, it EASY to fix!!!!!!!! Don't get rid of a great pistol like this for an easily fixed "problem".

just remember its a SLIDE STOP NOT a slide release...to get it to go forward your supposed to use the slingshot method not hit the slide stop. Im not frustrated at all because I actually read the instructions and knew to slingshot it(that and they teach the sling shot method in the training I did)

eagle111

Bearcat
CBennett":3nmt5yvi said:
eagle111":3nmt5yvi said:

just remember its a SLIDE STOP NOT a slide release...to get it to go forward your supposed to use the slingshot method not hit the slide stop. Im not frustrated at all because I actually read the instructions and knew to slingshot it(that and they teach the sling shot method in the training I did)

I know it's a SLIDE STOP, and I will slingshot to charge ALL the time; if possible. But if one of your hands is disabled or whatever, it's nice to know you CAN charge your firearm with the slide stop lever!

revhigh

Hawkeye
You guys are arguing a silly point ... there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with using the slide stop to release the slide ... no matter what some grizzled old 1911 armorer says.

REV

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
You are suppose to slingshot only and not use the slide release (slide stop)?
I've been doing it wrong most times for a lot of years, I must suck. Seriously, who makes up these rules?

CBennett

Single-Sixer
eagle111":2uanwaov said:
CBennett":2uanwaov said:
eagle111":2uanwaov said:

I know it's a SLIDE STOP, and I will slingshot to charge ALL the time; if possible. But if one of your hands is disabled or whatever, it's nice to know you CAN charge your firearm with the slide stop lever!

you could even without that if you can catch the edge of the slide or sights on your belt or something..its a drill they made us do in the academy....

CBennett

Single-Sixer
Cheesewhiz":ogicsbcz said:
I've been doing it wrong most times for a lot of years, I must suck. Seriously, who makes up these rules?

its not a rule and its different for different guns. ive seen some guns that specificaly call it a slide release and say that you can use it as such and others like the SR9c that say its a slide stop and to slingshot it.

CBennett

Single-Sixer
revhigh":1xdjg9ae said:
You guys are arguing a silly point ... there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with using the slide stop to release the slide ... no matter what some grizzled old 1911 armorer says.

REV

yuo can do what ever you want or can..I was just stating the instructions said its a slide stop and to use the shotgun method...so people crying about it the slide stop not working as a slide release because its too "hard" have nothing to really cry about as its not supposed to do what they want it to lol...even if they had done it on other guns B4...I tried to use it the first few times also till I actually read and found out WHY it didnt release like other guns have for me in the past..because it was designed not to...

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
CBennett":l543esb9 said:
Cheesewhiz":l543esb9 said:

its not a rule and its different for different guns. ive seen some guns that specificaly call it a slide release and say that you can use it as such and others like the SR9c that say its a slide stop and to slingshot it.

I only know that Glock doesn't recommend someone using the "slide stop" as a "slide release", when you get close to 100,000 rounds thru a single semi-auto gun get back to me, I have had two that I got around that mark. I still have one of them, most of the time I used the "slide release" to chamber them. One was a Ruger and the other is a CZ.

CBennett

Single-Sixer
Cheesewhiz":3slb0m72 said:
CBennett":3slb0m72 said:
Cheesewhiz":3slb0m72 said:

I only know that Glock doesn't recommend someone using the "slide stop" as a "slide release", when you get close to 100,000 rounds thru a single semi-auto gun get back to me, I have had two that I got around that mark. I still have one of them, most of the time I used the "slide release" to chamber them. One was a Ruger and the other is a CZ.

thats not the point. The point was people were IMO WRONGLY crying/complaining about the slide STOP lever not doing what they thought it should do and they thought it should release the slide..well if these same people had read the instruction manual it basically says that its going to be real hard to do this because its NOT a slide release and to use the sling shot method...I just found it strange that people would complain about something that the guns not really supposed to do as if it was supposed to so it when it states its NOT. I dont see a problem...manual says use sling shot method because the slide STOP may not work or be too hard...so do what the manual says..does not seem a hard solution.

So I think in some peoples reviews I had seen them say something like :
slide release does not work or is very tight/hard to use as if it was a fault or part of a bad review...when im screaming at the computer...read the damn book its not supposed to work that way!!!!! its NOT a flaw or defect its just NOT supposed to work to release the slide!!! so quit thinking that because it wont work for what its NOT supposed to do just because people have had other guns that thats whet they have done...that its some kind of defect or something

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
CBennett":3fi00hkw said:
thats not the point. The point was people were IMO WRONGLY crying/complaining about the slide STOP lever not doing what they thought it should do and they thought it should release the slide..well if these same people had read the instruction manual it basically says that its going to be real hard to do this because its NOT a slide release and to use the sling shot method...I just found it strange that people would complain about something that the guns not really supposed to do as if it was supposed to so it when it states its NOT. I dont see a problem...manual says use sling shot method because the slide STOP may not work or be too hard...so do what the manual says..does not seem a hard solution.

slide release does not work or is very tight/hard to use as if it was a fault or part of a bad review...when im screaming at the computer...read the damn book its not supposed to work that way!!!!! its NOT a flaw or defect its just NOT supposed to work to release the slide!!! so quit thinking that because it wont work for what its NOT supposed to do just because people have had other guns that thats whet they have done...that its some kind of defect or something

Some pistol owners may expect their new gun to function as their older ones but you are right, the manual does call for the slingshot method for the SR9/SR9C.
It does make some sense as these guns are polymer framed and they (Ruger, Glock, etc..) may be couching the wear and tear on the frame.
I have shot my SR9 a lot and have not used a slingshot at all but that's just me. If you look up my past posts CB, you'll see that I have been an SR9 supporter for two and a half years as I enjoy mine quite a bit.

I truly don't understand the difference in wear and tear or function that a drop from a slide release and the slide going back in battery after being fired as the force would be the same at least, just me asking questions.

CBennett

Single-Sixer
Cheesewhiz":2ia5grji said:
CBennett":2ia5grji said:

Some pistol owners may expect their new gun to function as their older ones but you are right, the manual does call for the slingshot method for the SR9/SR9C.
It does make some sense as these guns are polymer framed and they (Ruger, Glock, etc..) may be couching the wear and tear on the frame.
I have shot my SR9 a lot and have not used a slingshot at all but that's just me. If you look up my past posts CB, you'll see that I have been an SR9 supporter for two and a half years as I enjoy mine quite a bit.

I truly don't understand the difference in wear and tear or function that a drop from a slide release and the slide going back in battery after being fired as the force would be the same at least, just me asking questions.

agreed 100% I dont get it either..I have seen on some other sites though people complaining about the "slide release" being so tight it wont work right..I just want to scream and say its working 100% right because its a slide STOP not a slide release....and then people later in the thread will say...man I was psyched for this gun but after your review im having second thoughts...I pitty them because a MORON reviewed a gun..didnt read the manual and gave a poor review because something that is PERFECTLY FINE didnt work like he was used to or thought it would...its because they didnt bother reading the book/manual that they gave the bad review..not because the gun is actually bad..

I had been waiting for this gun since the SR9 came out..I had no need for the full size because its too big for CC..but when this came out I TRADED IN A GLOCK(yeah I used the slide stop as a slide release on that and didnt slingshot it a single time ) 23 for this gun and am totaly happy with the results..to ME its a better gun than the glock ...why...because its just as reliable so far, it has more choices and better ergonomics than the Glock also..

I was just getting sick of people giving it mixed reviews because of truly a non issue with the slide stop. because they either thought or were used to using it as a slide release..this gun does not deserve that...at worst reviews should say something like...ive used the release on all my other guns as a release..this gun says its a stop and in shooting it I was aware its not really to be used a s a release so I sling shotted it...I was not used to this but its the guns design NOT a fault...

SgtSam

Bearcat
A mountain out of a mole hill! I tempest in a teapot! A hammer to kill a fly! This has turned into one really rediculous discussion. :lol:

Why in the world can't people just accept it as it is. It's a design thing called out in accordance with the requirements of the engineers that designed it. If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you choose to do things otherwise, then accept the consequences of your actions. But don't ask the facts to change because you happen to "want" them too. :shock:

Facts are Facts! Designs are Designs! Conditions are Conditions! No amount of munching and grunching is going to change that. :lol:

If it's a slide stop, it's a slide stop. If you use it as a slide release that doesn't make it a slide release. A srew drive is a screw driver. If you use it as a pry bar, or a chisel, that doesn't make the damn thing a pry bar or a chisel. :roll:

During my 21 year military career, and my 26 year design/manufacturing career, I've come across this kind of thinking over and over again. And while it will make sense to the individual who's trying, and often very intensely, to change the "facts" due to their thinking and actions, in the long run, it will come home to roost, and usually not in a good way. :roll:

Accept the facts, reject the facts. Do what you want. But, move on!!! :arrow:

SgtSam 8)

eagle111

Bearcat
CBennett":3sbb2oca said:
eagle111":3sbb2oca said:
CBennett":3sbb2oca said:
eagle111":3sbb2oca said:

you could even without that if you can catch the edge of the slide or sights on your belt or something..its a drill they made us do in the academy....

I'm aware there are many ways to rack a slide; that being said, if you want to take your weapon off your assailant and aim it at yourself to try and hit your belt, if you have one, or find some other suitably firm area to catch the slide or sight to release it, be my guest. Good luck with that. An exercise in a "class at the Academy", is far from a real-life confrontation.

As I said earlier, I have no problem "slingshotting" the slide, and will all the time, I believe you should be ABLE to use the stop/release if NEEDED!

That's MY view, you have yours, and I can respect THAT........

eagle111

Bearcat
As an added note........page 20 of MY manual states, "Release the slide to move forward by EITHER DEPRESSING THE REAR PORTION OF THE SLIDE STOP or pulling the slide fully to the rear and release it".

That SHOULD put an end to THIS discussion!

Latest posts