The new squirrel slayer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
I sold my Mark II because I wanted something I could put a scope on.
Old eyes.
Instead of drilling and Tapping my gun I joined the crowd for something newer.
So I bought this pretty shiny gun for $350. Seemed reasonable.
Now, I am getting some new grips, and a scope. I never had a red dot, but I have to have something and think a scope is what I want. Like a 2 power.
With this gun it's critical I upgrade it because frankly I am shocked at how inaccurate the dang thing is. My old Mark II with a tapered barrel would put holes touching all day long.

I fired 200 rounds of Aquila super max through this target model, no functional issues but you would think just by dumb luck I would have a couple of holes touch! NOPE!
It's about as accurate as my 9mm glock.
Really disappointed with that. The LCI is ok. Besides making a clicking noise. No other issues except I can't hit crap with it.
So boys, why the hoopla over dots? What does a dot do better than a scope on these pistolas?
mark3007.jpg

gh,
I have found that a trigger job really helps. The Volquartsen accuracy kit works wonders for the MK's.

I have redots and scopes. The reddot is fast and fun, and for my eyes about as accurate out to about 25 yards. After that the scope wins, and 2x is all you need as you posted. I do have a Bushnell Trophy 2x6 on a 12" 223 Encore that I really like though. I have a 2x on my 12" 44 Encore and would not have a problem with taking deer out to 100 yards. That is as far as I have shot/practiced with it.
Either sight system is far better than I can do with open sights. My most accurate handgun is my 10/22 Charger. I go back and forth between a reddot and scope on it depending on what I am shooting and/or my mood.
If you get a scope, you can always try a cheap reddot for next to nothing. With Weaver style rings you can switch back and forth.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
I never hear much about pistol scopes. It's always dots, dots, dots.
Being as I have never had either I will try the scope first.
Not much need for fast shooting for me, my arms aren't steady enough.
Hell getting old! :lol:
Just targets and squirrels.

BTW, I figured out why the gun was so inaccurate. Front site loose. I'm sure a lighter trigger would help but I was getting nowhere with the front site flopping around.
Don't know why it took me so long to think of it. I tightened it down and put some federals in it things were normal. Nice tight groups. I was regretting selling my Mark II there for couple of days. And those Aquila Supermaximums ain't the most accurate bullets either, though they always seem to fire, no duds.

I want to be able to slow shoot accurately out to 50 yards, so if the scope is better for that, the scope it is.
As far as a lighter trigger I need to just have someone install it, I don't take these guns apart. Tried once. No thanks, never again. :)

A

Anonymous

I only use open sights on handguns, even though I'm in my fifties and my peepers are hiding behind no-line trifocals. largely because I think handguns belong in holsters. I see no resemblance between holsters and the rigs you have to carry a scoped handgun in.

I do have a simple scope on my 10/22. Being old-fashioned and not liking plastic guns, I would also not care for a sight, or laser grip, that used batteries. Same reason I only wear self-winding watches. Low maintenance and dependable. If I were to upgrade a handgun with optics, it would be a regular scope.

For you SHTF worriers, do you have a bag of red dot batteries in your survival kit?

Good to see ya back, gator. Been a while.

I've shot both dots and 'scopes on handguns. What I notice is how badly they make the gun shake.

;)

Probably depends on which you can see best. My old eyes like the dots, particularly the adjustable ones.

For longer range, the 'scopes are likely better . . . if you can hold 'em steady.

JMHO

:mrgreen:

deserttrans

Buckeye
Per my eye doctor my eyes are really screwed up.... I'm 61 and age has caught up with me. I use a Truglo at 2x42 on my Marks. Helped me alot.

thumbs

Single-Sixer
I put a Bushnell red dot on my Marklll. Day and night over iron sights. I guess I would prefer iron sights only because of holstering and a bit more handy. The problem is I shoot way better with the red dot. I shoot it both ways but if I have to place shots accurately its the red dot.

You asked what is the difference. I think acquisition of the target is faster with the red dot. For distances longer than 25 yards I would use a scope but remember more magnification more apparent shake.

contender

Ruger Guru
I use open sights, red dots, and scopes on different handguns for different reasons. All have their place. Try a scope, and if that doesn't work for you, then try a red dot.
Many folks go the red dot route due to $$$$$$$. It's easier to find red dots, at a cheaper price than pistol scopes.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Ale-8(1) said:

I've shot both dots and 'scopes on handguns. What I notice is how badly they make the gun shake.

;)

Probably depends on which you can see best. My old eyes like the dots, particularly the adjustable ones.

For longer range, the 'scopes are likely better . . . if you can hold 'em steady.

JMHO

Good to be back. Just been lurking a while.
So how bad does a 2 power scope shake? I guess that is a stupid question since there is no quantatative way to tell me.
But it has me concerned that I spend $100 and I get more shake than I can shoot with.
My hands already shake. I don't need more.
If I am braced it shouldn't make a difference right?
I have to shoot with my arms braced on something anyway.
My days of weaver stancing are behind me since nerve damage to my arm.
I shoot a couple of rounds standing up non braced and my hands shake so bad I couldn't hit a Plate at 7 yards.
That's why everything I own now is geared towards low recoil sitting down or kneeling braced shooting.
I am starting to be Mr. 22.
I got the .22 magnum rifle with scope, Bolt 223 with scope, 22 marlins all scoped.
So I thought a .22 scoped pistol would at least allow me to shoot pistols again.
My P93's and Glock just draw dust now. I can't really shoot em anymore.
I guess the positive thing is it's cheap shooting. :wink:

"So how bad does a 2 power scope shake?"

Twice as bad as a 1 power 'scope!

Har-de-har-har.

Dunno what's gonna work the best for ya. As mentioned above, you can get into a dot cheaper than a decent 'scope. That's where I'd start.

JMHO

:)

Richbaker

Blackhawk
gatorhugger said:
I want to be able to slow shoot accurately out to 50 yards, so if the scope is better for that, the scope it is.
As far as a lighter trigger I need to just have someone install it, I don't take these guns apart. Tried once. No thanks, never again. :)

Red dots are designed for fast acquisition more than accuracy, you'll probably be happier with the scope...

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
My Mark III Hunter is much, much more accurate than I am, but the red dot certainly helped me tighten my groups. As has been mentioned, if you want to go out to 50 yards you will want a magnified scope.

I shoot my scoped handguns from some kind of rest, usually shooting sticks when hunting, 99% of the time.
Red dot sights are much easier to shoot offhand, though I usually use sticks all the time.
With a scope, I can shoot 5 shots under .5 inch at 50 yards with my Charger. With same ammo and the red dot 5 shots go right about 1 inch.
With my 44 Redhawk and a red dot sight I get about 1.5 inches at 25 yards.
I use my red dot more I do a scope on my Charger for squirrels.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have to disagree that red dots are not as accurate as a scope.
Problems with accuracy in red dots happens when a dot is bigger than the target. Too often folks get a red dot optic that has a dot too big for the caliber & normal distance they plan on shooting. I usually prefer a smaller dot for accuracy, and when I do this, I'm never dissatisified with the accuracy.
And yes, the red dots do allow quicker target aquisition.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I found that with a dot scope on my centerfire guns - namely a S&W 629 set up for tree stand whitetails - the red dot is fast right now; and lets me put all bullets on-target and with great accuracy.

I also found my best method is to 'shoot the target' not the front sight. By this I mean I have easily trained my feeble brain to stay on the target and bring the dot to the point I want to punch, then hold and squeeze.

This can be done by cranking the brightness DOWN to the setting where I have contrast but not a feeling of "looking into the headlight", which is an accuracy-killer.

Works for me.

smokeyw

Bearcat
You probably know this but it is not really the scope or dot making the pistol shake. It only shows you how much you are already shaking due to the magnification.

Ale-8(1) said:

;)

JMHO

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
I know, and my hands shake plenty. That's why I have to brace and even then I am fighting shake.
I tried out my first dot today. A BSA $49 buck one from Academy.
It's small, not too lenghty, has the different dot sizes ect that are standard on all these things.
I am gonna get one, just to give it a whirl.
I heard BSA were crap, but the guy letting me shoot his gun loved his.

But first I just ordered a Tasco Ebay special. a 2x22, old style JAPANENSE GLASS, it's a pro-class so I expect it to be as clear as scopes costing a lot more. These old Tascos were good! I have compared them against Nikons and can't tell the difference.
$56 shipped. Cant go wrong there.
Plus my new wood grips came today, off a Mark III competetion, brand new. It's gonna look like a new gun and shoot like a new gun too with this scope and grips on it.
50 yards shouldn't be problem as long as it's not too windy.

Gee . . . ya think?!

:wink:

smokeyw said:
You probably know this but it is not really the scope or dot making the pistol shake. It only shows you how much you are already shaking due to the magnification.

Ale-8(1) said:

;)

JMHO

smokeyw

Bearcat
As far as dot scopes go, you get what you pay for. You may want to check out the UltraDot scopes. I have two MatchDots and love them. The MatchDot gives you the ability to change the MOA to 2,4,6, or 8.