The Mark series has a new competitor from S&W.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ProfessorWes

Hunter
Looks like Smith is taking dead aim at the Ruger Mark series and the Browning Buckmark with their latest offering: The SW22 Victory .22 target pistol.

http://americanhandgunner.com/exclusive-a-victory-from-smith-wesson/

MSRP of $409. Kind of an odd-looking gun, but if it's as reliable and accurate as Roy Huntingdon claims it is at the link . . .

ranger1

Buckeye
Saw it a couple days ago on S&W's website. Very interesting handgun.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_804153_-1_757752_757751_image

dingode

Single-Sixer
I'm looking forward to hearing more about this gun. It's weird looking, but I kind of like it.

jjas

Single-Sixer
If the "real world" reviews are positive, then this would definitely be a pistol I would purchase.

Jim Puke

Hunter
It will be a wannabe...it has a LOOOONNNGGG way to go to be the equal of the Mark's.

They just didn't have a "target" pistol in the line up...the way production of the Performance Center Model 41 comes and goes.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I've yet to ever see a review by the magazines, printed or digital that gives a negative review. Too many advertising dollars at stake. However, the switch-barrel expect has one over on the Ruger's I guess although personally, get the one you like and stick with it.

TucsonDirt

Single-Sixer
Actually, if its takedown is easier than Ruger's infamous disassembly/reassembly, esp. the MKIII's w/ mag disconnect, they might just get a piece of Ruger's market share.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
I like the concept of barrel changes by user, could it be possible for them to offer a 17 M2 barrel option that would work in this pistol?

Lexspeed

Bearcat
As a new MkIII owner I hope that the SW new offering is a great pistol. Why? Well, good competition keeps the arms manufacturers on their toes for making better products and keeping prices reasonable.

transalp1961

Single-Sixer
Volquartsen is already making barrels for the new S&W

https://www.volquartsen.com/tags/38-new-products,52-sw-22-victory

steelshooterco

Single-Sixer
They say imitation is the best form of flattery....

Looks like Smith has taken a page out of Ruger's playbook, like when Ruger came out with an improved version of Walther's 22 pistol in the form of the SR22.

In this case the S&W version has a list price of $409 and looks like a knock off of the KMKIII512 or model 10103 at $629. With a gun that looks like the Ruger and has slight improvements (potentially) in terms of take down and sights (fiber optic), trigger stop screw, etc. You're talking about a gun that is 30%+ cheaper in terms of list. Will have to see what that translates to street pricing. Also noticed the put the serial number on the frame and not the barrel/bolt, so they can sell accessory barrels in the future, with others already offering these. Think that was a decisive marketing move, that will immediately differentiate it, even if you never buy a 2nd barrel.

The closest Ruger version is a Talo special with the fiber optic sights, and it lists at $664.02 with a sell price of $580.00 from Tombstone Tactical.

Think Smith may give Ruger a hard run for their money, if the gun is any good.

Ruger will have to lower their price and cut profits to remain competitive, unless they come out with a better mouse trap version of the MKIII!!!

Be interesting to see what the trigger is like on the Smith guns, as the Ruger needs work to be decent (opinions as usual LOL)

dingode

Single-Sixer
I sent a "tell the CEO" to Ruger a few weeks ago suggesting it was time for a MKIV pistol. It went something like this.

1. Stick to their newer theme of de-lawyering guns. No mag or external safety. The mag safety is the first thing most people take out, and I don't know of anyone that uses the external safety on a MK.

2. The upper needs to stop being the serialized part! Make some dimensional changes so MK1-MKIII pistol frames and uppers aren't interchangeable with the new MKIV series and start putting the serial #on the frame.

3. Ruger seems to have a fascination with take down models as of late. Make the barrel on the new MKIV easy to swap out.

It would seem like S&W is ahead of Ruger on 2 and 3. Time to play catch up Ruger.

And there was a suggestion about spending a bit more time on triggers. For what Ruger charges they can put a better trigger in their guns. My SR-556 trigger is beyond terrible and my MKIII 22/45 isn't much better. So it would seem S&W has them beat here too, at least their new pistol has a over travel screw in it, so they are trying anyway.

Unless it is better quality than the previous versions, Ruger has nothing to fear. IMHO the first thing they should have fixed is the terrible grip design. It's very uncomfortable to me. However they did move the magazine release to the "1911" location. I always enjoy seeing if big box gun store clerks can find it on the current versions.

contender

Ruger Guru
dingode,,, I can agree about the mag safety removal,,, but the external safety should never go away. I teach firearm safety & a lot of clinics. An external safety for these firearms should stay.

I have to POLITELY ask why you feel an external safety is unnecessary?