The barrel is rotating

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Triggernosis

Single-Sixer
FWIW, an FFL can ship a gun via US Postal Service for, usually, less than $10. That's what my FFL charges me to ship whenever I sell one over the 'net - $10.

TomB985

Bearcat
Triggernosis said:
FWIW, an FFL can ship a gun via US Postal Service for, usually, less than $10. That's what my FFL charges me to ship whenever I sell one over the 'net - $10.

Thanks Triggernosis. After being quoted $76 to ship this thing via FedEx I sort of figured the same thing. This afternoon I took it to the shop that sold it to me. Yesterday they told me on the phone they could ship it for quite a bit cheaper than that. When I dropped it off they did even better than that; they had me fill out a claim tag and said "we'll take care of it". They told me that they could call Ruger and get shipping paid for under most circumstances. Not sure exactly what's going to happen here, but they seem to be taking care of me. 8)

Acorn

Buckeye
TomB985 said:
Triggernosis said:

Thanks Triggernosis. After being quoted $76 to ship this thing via FedEx I sort of figured the same thing. This afternoon I took it to the shop that sold it to me. Yesterday they told me on the phone they could ship it for quite a bit cheaper than that. When I dropped it off they did even better than that; they had me fill out a claim tag and said "we'll take care of it". They told me that they could call Ruger and get shipping paid for under most circumstances. Not sure exactly what's going to happen here, but they seem to be taking care of me. 8)

Cudos to that shop for taking care of a customer.

stantheman86

Buckeye
There is surprisingly little "torque" to a revolver barrel......many people have removed barrels with two blocks of wood and a garage vice.

I once rebarreled a S&W Victory revolver in my garage :)

Ruger uses, or used to use some kind of thread locker on the revolver barrels that reportedly makes them very difficult to remove, which is a good thing.

Triggernosis

Single-Sixer
stantheman86 said:
There is surprisingly little "torque" to a revolver barrel......many people have removed barrels with two blocks of wood and a garage vice.

I once rebarreled a S&W Victory revolver in my garage :)

Ruger uses, or used to use some kind of thread locker on the revolver barrels that reportedly makes them very difficult to remove, which is a good thing.
Stan is correct.
I took a couple of pieces of 1" oak wood, held them together in my vice, and drilled a hole through the center a couple of sizes smaller than the barrel diameter....then wrapped the barrel with two layers of masking tape to prevent slippage, and have been able to screw barrels right on off...without having to use any kind of "oomph" at all.
After doing it myself, I'll never pay a gunsmith to do it again...unless I get one that doesn't want to budge with just a small bit of torque.

Triggernosis

Single-Sixer
TomB985 said:
Triggernosis said:

I'm actually really surprised that Ruger didn't just send you a shipping label, but it's probably because it's such and older gun. Next time maybe act ignorant and say "I dunno...I've only had it a couple of weeks...nope, can't read the serial number because I lost my eyeglasses at the nursing home when I went to visit my wife...should have me a new pair as soon as Medicare gets things straightened out and I get my scooter working again..." :D Maybe they'll feel sorry for a half-blind old man who can't even walk to the mailbox and send you a pre-paid shipping label.

TomB985

Bearcat
Hondo44 said:
That's great news but let's get your shop's name out to forum members here!

Fair enough. The place is called Gregerson's Ace Hardware in Baldwin, WI. Good bunch of guys and they carry a pretty decent selection of handguns and long guns considering they sell more than just guns. They mentioned something to me about possibly using a local gunsmith and them covering the charge, and so I don't know how this is going to go.

This would be the second time I took this one back to them. The first time was about a month and a half ago, the button that retains the base pin came off. Only a few dollars in parts and a few minutes to put in, but it was still under their warranty so I took it back to them. Same deal, they just had me fill out a tag and "we'll take care of it". A week later I had it back functioning flawlessly.

And triggernosis, it's good to see that it's that easy to remove and reinstall the barrel of a revolver. Of course my Glock takes all of ten seconds, but I thought it was a more involved process to remove a revolver barrel. It's interesting, as I firmly believe in the superiority of automatics for most any self defense situation. But out of every firearm I've ever owned I don't like any of them as much as I do my SBH.

More Ruger revolvers may be in my future. This thing may not fire or reload as fast as my G19, but it just feels "right". :mrgreen:

flatgate

Hawkeye
Bowen has "homeboy" barrel vice info on his web site. If it was my gun I'd remove the barrel. Inspect the threads. Since it's loose then I'd not even bother to "chase the threads". Clean the threads with some "non-toxic" Brake Clean. Use a "air hose" and clean/dry the cylinder frame and the barrel. Put a couple of drops of "Loc-Tite on the threads and reinstall the barrel. Carefully tighten it until the front sight blade looks "square" to the top strap. Install the cylinder and look at the barrel/cylinder gap. You need a honest 0.002"-0.003" of clearance in a Ruger. Test fire. Things ought to be one heck of a lot better! :D

JMHO,

flatgate

TomB985

Bearcat
Thanks flatgate, I'll certainly remember this for future reference. Of particular interest to me is the 2-3 thousandths clearance between the cylinder and barrel.

Out of curiosity, what determines this requirement? I remember researching the old Russian Nagant revolvers a few years back that the cylinder would move forward to engage the mouth of the really weird looking casing with the barrel. Supposedly this prevented the pressure from being lost between the barrel and the cylinder. Why would you want any space between them? Not that a few thousandths is much or anything...

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
TomB985 said:
...Why would you want any space between them? Not that a few thousandths is much or anything...
I believe most Ruger revolvers spec the B/C (barrel/cylinder) gap at between 2-4 thousands. This gap allows for heat expansion and for carbon fouling to not bind-up the cylinder rotation. After a day of shooting lead bullets there will be some cylinder drag. For complete reliability a policeman might want a 6 thousands inch B/C gap even though some velocity might be lost. :D :D

CraigC

Hawkeye
flatgate said:
Bowen has "homeboy" barrel vice info on his web site. If it was my gun I'd remove the barrel. Inspect the threads. Since it's loose then I'd not even bother to "chase the threads". Clean the threads with some "non-toxic" Brake Clean. Use a "air hose" and clean/dry the cylinder frame and the barrel. Put a couple of drops of "Loc-Tite on the threads and reinstall the barrel. Carefully tighten it until the front sight blade looks "square" to the top strap. Install the cylinder and look at the barrel/cylinder gap. You need a honest 0.002"-0.003" of clearance in a Ruger. Test fire. Things ought to be one heck of a lot better! :D

JMHO,

flatgate
Bingo!

TomB985

Bearcat
Hi guys,

I just got off the phone with Ruger customer support, as it's been over three and a half weeks since it was sent in and I haven't heard back. I'm simply blown away with how well they're taking care of me and my 26-year-old gun!

They are replacing the barrel, cylinder, hammer, and base pin somethingorother. It's currently out getting reblued! :shock: Because I had my LGS send it back in the RMA number changed, and they wouldn't discuss with me whether or not it was covered under warranty because it's between the LGS and Ruger. Called my LGS and they told me not to worry about it and they would take care of it.

I'm a pretty satisfied customer right about now. :p

MikeMcD

Bearcat
Ruger Service Yep. This is what you hear a lot about Ruger's service. My experience is only with the New Hampshire (revolver) guys. They have amazed me with great service and help.
Unlike the deriding and nastiness from another company that markets Brazilian and Spanish made guns, Ruger respects us - the American gun owner. I would have an serious obstacle to buying any other brand of handgun after the way I was treated. God Bless Sturm Ruger.

TomB985

Bearcat
Just picked it up yesterday, and if it weren't for the original grips and the serial number I would have guessed this is a brand new firearm.

2012-09-08083253.jpg

2012-09-08083304.jpg

A few months ago I paid for a 26-year-old gun, and thanks to outstanding customer support I feel like I have a brand new one. Completely satisfied customer here!

Latest posts