That was a quick 50 years - New Model Super Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I was shooting this Super Blackhawk a couple weeks ago and I realized I had bought it 50 years ago. At the time I wanted a 44 magnum and was looking for a M29. Of course, Dirty Harry had made them very difficult and expensive to find. Because of that the Rugers were fairly scarce as well, you had to get on a waiting list, and they usually went for well over list price when you did find one. I did get this one for MSRP in '73 not long after the New Model came out.. I shot it a lot, but still wanted a Model 29. I found a Smith a year later and for some crazy reason thought I didn't need two 44 mags. A friend wanted the Ruger, so I sold it to him for what I had paid for it. I regretted letting it go immediately. So I said the usual, that if he ever decided to sell it, to let me know first. This time, it actually went that way. Six months later he got tired of it and wanted to fund something else, so I bought it back. He put the red front sight insert in while he had it. I would have rather he hadn't done that, but it wasn't a showstopper. Back then I liked red inserts myself. I recovered from that affliction later on. I don't let its presence bother me too much. He did do an excellent job of installation. I learned my lesson, so it will be with me until I croak.

It came out of the box with a trigger that rivals an S&W, correct chamber throat and groove diameter dimensions, good forcing cone, and chamber alignment. It shoots very well.

right.jpg

left.jpg

Glad you got it back! Wish I could get a few guns back that were sold over the years, only to be later regretted.
There are a few that got away from me, too. One was an very early Colt Trooper MK 3. The fit and finish on it was nearly indistinguishable from a Python. It was also one of the most accurate revolvers I've ever had. I shot it so much that the breech end of the barrel eroded away nearly to the edge to the point that any more wear would start to widen the barrel/cylinder gap. The barrel diameter on those where it comes through the frame is rather small, like a K-frame Smith. So it went as partial trade for a Triplelock target (which I still have). Later on, I acquired the tools and know-how to set revolver barrels back and could have fixed it. But it has been gone for over 40 years. Oh well, can't keep everything.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I'm a little younger and got my first .44 Mag in 1976 or 77 at a gun show in Boulder, CO. It was a S&W M29 6.5" with the wood case/tools and cost me $350 in hard-earned Burger King dollars (I was in High School then and the vendor had no issue selling to a teenager). It wasn't until about 1979 or 80 that I got my first Super Blackhawk at a local gun shop in Northglenn, CO. It was a 5 digit no-prefix old model and I still have it. Dealer said the guy who traded it in had been a trapper in Alaska and had carried it daily, but it was in really good condition, and the dealer commented that it didn't look to be fired much. The old guy denied that and said that he shot it a LOT... maybe 50 or 60 times!

I was 19 then and my dad had to do the paperwork on the Ruger. I hung out in that shop a lot and got several good deals there, but my fondest memories of the shop are of dating the owner's daughter ;)

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Time does fly, nice gun, and cool that you have kept it all these years.

The longest I've owned a gun is my Ruger 10-22 I got in the 60's

41Dude

Single-Sixer
I was shooting this Super Blackhawk a couple weeks ago and I realized I had bought it 50 years ago. At the time I wanted a 44 magnum and was looking for a M29. Of course, Dirty Harry had made them very difficult and expensive to find. Because of that the Rugers were fairly scarce as well, you had to get on a waiting list, and they usually went for well over list price when you did find one. I did get this one for MSRP in '73 not long after the New Model came out.. I shot it a lot, but still wanted a Model 29. I found a Smith a year later and for some crazy reason thought I didn't need two 44 mags. A friend wanted the Ruger, so I sold it to him for what I had paid for it. I regretted letting it go immediately. So I said the usual, that if he ever decided to sell it, to let me know first. This time, it actually went that way. Six months later he got tired of it and wanted to fund something else, so I bought it back. He put the red front sight insert in while he had it. I would have rather he hadn't done that, but it wasn't a showstopper. Back then I liked red inserts myself. I recovered from that affliction later on. I don't let its presence bother me too much. He did do an excellent job of installation. I learned my lesson, so it will be with me until I croak.

It came out of the box with a trigger that rivals an S&W, correct chamber throat and groove diameter dimensions, good forcing cone, and chamber alignment. It shoots very well.

right.jpg

left.jpg

right.jpg

left.jpg
BBQRuger002.jpg

Here's my favorite again. 45 years old. Many thousands of rounds. Last firearm I would ever give up.
I take it along to the range to show grandkids what a REAL handgun is like 😉
Yours is a beauty 😍

41Dude

Single-Sixer
P.S. I had an old school Browning Hi Power years ago. It shot like a laser beam. You could not miss. Most accurate handgun I have fired. One of those times when a manufacturer assembled everything perfectly.
I wish I had it back. I have no clue why I traded it away. :cry: