Tandemkross "Victory" trigger for MkIV...your impressions?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sparkyvega

Bearcat
I am considering installing a Tandemkross "Victory" trigger in my MkIV Hunter. Not a kit, just the trigger. Has any one done thus, and if so, what were your impressions? I may drop in the Volquartsen sear and disconnector in the future, but for now, just the trigger.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Other than having a takeup and overtravel adjustment I don't see how just a trigger can improve the trigger pull weight and/or creep. The VQ sear/hammer kit certainly does.

photographix

Bearcat
I was considering the TK trigger for my Mk IV Hunter until I watched the install video at https://www.tandemkross.com/Victory-Trigger-for-Ruger-MKIV_p_301.html:

Fast forward to 12:10 of the video. The girl in the video measures the pull weight on the new trigger at 3.5 lbs, and then says that "technically" the pull weight has not actually dropped from the factory 4.5 lbs, but that the perceived weight is lighter due to the lower finger placement due to the flat TK trigger.

So I got the VQ trigger kit.... :p

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
sparkyvega said:
I am considering installing a Tandemkross "Victory" trigger in my MkIV Hunter. Not a kit, just the trigger. Has any one done thus, and if so, what were your impressions? I may drop in the Volquartsen sear and disconnector in the future, but for now, just the trigger.

I've removed a few of those triggers for my customers and installed Majestic Arms, or VC triggers. They're uncomfortable as hell with those pyramids on the trigger shoe face. YMMV.

Danno

Bearcat
I put the TK Victory trigger in a Mk III 22/45. Honestly, I'm very pleased with it. One, I like the flat face and the opportunity to engage the trigger low. Two, the adjustment screws really let me zero in on a clean break and a short reset.

I did have to put some Loktite (blue) on the reset screw as it had a tendency to move on me. Since then, it's been flawless. Bottom line, I really like the trigger. I should say, I've done nothing with the sear.

sparkyvega

Bearcat
I was hoping for more positive responses, as this trigger in the SW Victory has many. Thanks all for your input.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
22/45 Fan said:
Other than having a takeup and overtravel adjustment I don't see how just a trigger can improve the trigger pull weight and/or creep. The VQ sear/hammer kit certainly does.

You're correct, neither are able to adjust "creep", or pull weight. Creep and take-up often are confused for one another. Take-up is where you get to the point where creep begins as the sear slips off the hammer notch. The amount of creep involved is the distance/time it takes for the sear to come off the hammer notch.
The one complaint that I had when five of my customers gave individual reports on their testing of various aftermarket triggers in a Ruger Mark III, was that the over-travel screw on the Tandemkross trigger has a very "wimpy" nylon stop that gets bent, mushroomed, or folded over as it hits the rear of the trigger guard. That act alone will demolish the setting of over-travel.

fz4vgq

Bearcat
Let me start by saying that I've installed flat triggers in a couple of my AR's and absolutely dislike the feel. I installed the full Volquartsen action kit in my Mk4 22/45 Lite. Trigger pull improvement was night and day better but i had a 50% misfire rate after installing the VQ kit. I placed an order for a TandemKross titanium firing pin as a few people told me it would take care of the light strikes (it did fix that problem). On that same order I bought the Victory flat trigger figuring if I hated it I could just sell it for a loss. I installed it and it works with the Volquartsen action kit parts without any fitting or fiddling. I love the TK Victory flat trigger, it makes a huge difference to me. It feels like better quality than the VQ curved trigger too. The reason a flat trigger alone will drop pull weight is because of the leverage ratio. I pull the flat trigger at the very bottom of the trigger face..... more leverage. With the stock or VQ curved trigger you're pulling in the middle of the trigger..... less leverage.

Honestly, I really feel adding the Victory flat trigger turned my Mk4 22/45 Lite into a much better pistol.

sparkyvega

Bearcat
SGW Gunsmith said:
22/45 Fan said:

You're correct, neither are able to adjust "creep", or pull weight. Creep and take-up often are confused for one another. Take-up is where you get to the point where creep begins as the sear slips off the hammer notch. The amount of creep involved is the distance/time it takes for the sear to come off the hammer notch.

Well, I did install the Victory trigger into my Mk IV Hunter last night. It did drop the pull wt. from 4 3/4 to 3 1/2 lbs. A little more than 1 lb reduction. Tandemkross says that it is due to a leverage advantage. Ok, that part is good...the bad is what these guys were saying. The creep is unchanged, and I think this is the issue I have with the crappy trigger. The creep seems excessive to me. I'll shoot it soon and will know better on how it performs.

fz4vgq

Bearcat
SGW Gunsmith said:
fz4vgq said:
Honestly, I really feel adding the Victory flat trigger turned my Mk4 22/45 Lite into a much better pistol.

If I had a FLAT trigger finger, I might try one....................NO!

To each their own. As I mentioned, I've tried flat triggers on rifles, I couldn't stand them.