Suppressor for 22/45 threaded 22LR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Marthor

Bearcat
Just bought a 22/45 threaded barrel today. Anyone know where I can get a reasonable suppressor?

I'd also be interested in making one myself if anyone has any pointers.

paul105

Single-Sixer
Third topic from top is about fabricating your own suppressor. Lots of other stuff regarding suppressors -- makes, models, application process. Also, you can google Class III dealers in your state.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/

Don't expect "Hollywood" quiet from your threaded 22/45. Contrary to popular belief, they are suppressors, not silencers. Short barrels and semi autos are not as quiet as long barrels and fixed breach guns.

If at all possible, find a dealer and try as many different makes as you can before deciding on one.

Paul

mattsbox99

Hunter
Even if its not Hollywood quiet, it'll make you giggle like a schoolgirl. :)

100_0762.jpg

MKIII 22/45, Tac Sol Pac Lite, AAC Pilot. Mousefart quiet with CCI Standard Velocity.

radicalrod

Hunter
Hi, my MKII KMK512 is noticeably quieter than my KMK10 with the same suppressor on either pistol.....both using standard velocity LR ammo. Sure is a hoot to shoot :lol: :lol: :lol: They should come this way stock.......RR.

98_1LE

Single-Sixer
I have a Liberty Kodiak TL and am very happy with it.

Other cans I would suggest you look at are the Silencerco SS Sparrow, AAC Element or Prodigy, & SWR Spectre. They are generally well regarded.

A couple budget manufacturers that look good to me but I have zero experience with them, and haven't read a lot are Thompson Machine & Huntertown Arms. I am planning to buy a Thompson CHD this week. Both of these have attractive prices and designs.

They get very dirty so I suggest a take apart can.

This is my suppressed 22/45:
2s7t7io.jpg

captainkirk

Blackhawk
Marthor said:
WTF? There's a $200 tax fee to get a suppressor?
Is that true everywhere?

Yes, in the US. Supressors are treated much the same as machine guns and short barreled rifles and short barreled shotguns.

Marthor

Bearcat
315674_264589866908052_233140073386365_856985_1882821983_n.jpg

Here's my new "suppressorless" Ruger 22/45!
I replaced the 1911 grips with all-black replacement grips.

I'm thinking about one of those "fake" suppressors just for fun and to tide me over until I'm rich enough for that $200 fee to not matter to me. :)

$200 fee plus the cost of the suppressor.... along with a background check, approval of your local sheriff and ect....

I would seriously consider when looking for the suppressor to look for one that could be used on other guns like a 10/22.

you can move that 'taxed' suppressor from gun to gun.... so might as well buy the best one you can.

mattsbox99

Hunter
At least with the suppressor you only have to pay it once. Its a 3 month wait right now with the BATFE after you get the paperwork sent in.

I've been in talks with my senators and representative to get the process tweaked a but so you can buy one stamp and have as many toys as you want. The Government doesn't even care about your $200, they bask in joy of making you wait for 3+ months.

mattsbox99

Hunter
radicalrod said:
Hi, my MKII KMK512 is noticeably quieter than my KMK10 with the same suppressor on either pistol.....both using standard velocity LR ammo. Sure is a hoot to shoot :lol: :lol: :lol: They should come this way stock.......RR.

My Charger with the 10" barrel is much louder than either my 10/22 or MKIII with the suppressor as well.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I havr a TAC-65 supressor and I use it on a number of guns including my Glock 22lr conversion, Walter P22, Ruger 10/22, Ruger 77/22, AR-15 with 22 conversion and probably others I missed.

A 22lr supressed is as close to Holywood quiet as you will get and a thread mounted can is the best investment to get into supressors. Well worth the one time $200 tax and hurdles to get it! Shooting all day at the range with no ear protection is simply awsome!

Smee781

Single-Sixer
I have one of these and love it, user can take it apart and clean it and its SS so it should last almost for ever.

http://www.tacticalinc.com/quest-stainless-steel-premiumbrlightweight-suppressor-p-552.html

Hog Sniper

Bearcat
+1 on getting a can you can take apart. I have an SWR Spectre. A very nice can that will take 22 mag, 57, full auto etc. Spend the extra and get a good one that will last and can fill your future needs.

alkpon

Bearcat
One "stamp" per toy. On your ATF application, you must provide the equipment serial number, in addition to local LE chief sign-off approval/fingerprints/mug shot. Your Class 3 dealer submits, ATF approves, equipment is sent to the Class 3 dealer from mfg. for your pick up, with whatever fees you and he agree for transfer.
Pretty straight forward. Suppressed full auto 10/22, $200 for weapon stamp,$200 for suppressor stamp. It is a document having pic and stamp of approval from ATF for each widget. Safeguard originals, keep copies with you.
And, don't even be caught with unregistered, serial numbered or not Class 3 designated widget. It will certainly bring you alot of misery in fines and prison time.
Hate to pop the bubble, but strictly enforced. One stamp per Class 3 designated item.......

Richbaker

Blackhawk
With an NFA trust, CLEO sign-off is NOT required..... makes it a little easier in an area where the CLEO doesn't approve of such things.