Stevens 311D doesn't like to be open.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hapjack12

Bearcat
Very good pinecone. I've made a few special ones too. The last one I made got me in trouble with wifey. I used her cooking forceps. They worked on my project but PO ed my wife.

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
Thanks again Guys for responding to my Original Post. I haven't had a chance yet to pull the stock off, but I plan to during the holidays. I don't shoot this gun very much so I may forego the repair and just do a thorough lube job on her and see if it helps any.

Pinecone and Motex, your sketches and explainations of tools was most helpful. I'm going to print off all this information and file it all in my "311" file for future referance.

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
motex66, I went ahead and ordered the Model 511 cocking lever from Numrich that does not have the bump on the end.

I looked again at the cocking lever on my 311D and it, sure enough, has the bump on it. So, when I get the new part, I'll install it and let you know if/how much it improves the situation.

I don't see how changing out the part will hurt. If it doesn't work out, I'll just reinstall the old part.

Thanks again for posting the link.

ruggedruger

Single-Sixer
I, too, recently inherited a 311A (D-serial #) 12 ga. It is a little tight to open (compared to my buddy's Red Label 20ga!). But it stays open.

The problem with mine is the rust on the barrel exterior, and the case-hardening (c-h) on the receiver. I'm going to try to reblue the barrel at some point, but not sure what i'll do about the receiver. Either lose the c-h, and blue, or try to clean it up the way it is. Some say the c-h comes off really easy. Some say it's diamond-hard.

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
ruggedruger said:
Some say the c-h comes off really easy. Some say it's diamond-hard.

All the ones that I have fiddled with were very easy to refinish. You can almost sandblast off the case hardening it is so shallow.

I have noticed that the barrels take bluing (rust bluing) very well, but the receivers do not at all. I am actually surprised how soft and mediocre the metal is on the receivers....couple of notches above soup can metal.

Latest posts