a iconic/legendary conn gunsmith soon to close his doors

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bobski

Hunter
for those that know mitch at gunsmithing ltd in southport ct, you are going to have to find someone else soon. mitch decided to call it quits and retire this year. for 45 years he worked out of the back of the old ruger plant on lacy ave. he has reduced his store hours to thurs/fri/sat only and is not taking much more in. he was the best of the best. so, start looking. i asked him who he'd recommend and he gave a head nod to a young new fellow in danbury, but thats all i got.
i wished him the best.
time marches on.

Baxter6551

Bearcat
I heard rumors of this after hearing that Mitch was stressed out after an ATF audit last fall. I was hoping he wouldn't or hoped that one of his employees would take over the business. I noticed my last visit a couple of weeks ago that his used gun inventory was minimal. Mitch is a great guy and a superior gunsmith. I wish him all the best. Another gunsmith I used was LaRocca Gun Works in Worcester MA and he just closed at the end of last year due to landlord tripling the rent. He figured at age 70 might as well pack it in. A dying profession I fear. At home drop in mods for the wave of plastic will become the gunsmithing of the future. Glad I had Mitch and Mike do what they did for me over the years.

Johnnu2

Hunter
he did not mention............
but, does sean work in a wheelchair?
I believe that's him.... it's what I think I heard when I first learned of his existence a few years ago... haven't been there as yet. His website says that Saturday is the only day for "walk-in customers"; he gives a phone number for those who must visit on other days.

J.

bobski

Hunter
atf nailed mitch over stupid cross t/dot i stuff....like not having a full customer address on the work order.
i dont blame him for calling it quits.
i wish him good retirement.
odd that none of his workers are willing to take it on. where will they go....flip burgers?

Baxter6551

Bearcat
I stopped by today. There is a sign posted that effective March 1st hours will be:
Thursday and Friday 10-6
Saturday 10-5