Static in powder measure?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

triker

Single-Sixer
I have the Lee pro auto disk measure and it usually drops a little light. When return powder to can the last of it sort of sticks in measure. Is this why it drops light some of the time? Any way to stop this? Does it with most of my faster burning powders. Any suggestions? thx triker

Cholo

Staff member
I've noticed it with my RCBS Uniflo measure, but I don't believe it affects my charges as it's so slight. You might try rubbing things down with a used dryer sheet and see if that helps.

contender

Ruger Guru
I don't spray anything in & around my powder. However, I use old dryer sheets. I store one inside my powder hoppers when not in use.

BCB

Bearcat
triker said:
How do you put the sheet in the powder measure? triker

I believe you just rub the powder measurer with it and that helps eliminate static...

The other poster put the sheet in his hopper when not in use to probably help eliminate static build-up...

I have done both and neither worked at all...

More than likely it is the atmosphere an surroundings in your reloading area. My area is quit dry and I know that can lead to static...

Like touching metal objects in the winter when wearing certain clothing types...

Good-luck...BCB

GP100man

Buckeye
Put some powdered graphite on a fluffy peice of rag/towel & put it in the hopper ,then shake it around a bit to coat everything good .

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Never tried the dryer sheet trick--but I have run a ground wire from shotshell machines to a grounded screw on a wall plug to help, though. Those machines are mostly metal, as is the Uniflo on the bench. Dunno if this trick would work w/ a mostly plastic measure, like the Lee "Perfect" measure next to the Uniflo.

Lee suggests, w/ their dippers, to wash 'em w/ dish soap and water, then let dry WITHOUT rinsing. That trick has worked for me. I s'pose one could wipe out the plastic hopper of their measure, or wash the plastic disks, w/ a soapy rag (not TOO wet--don't want water running down into the innards!) and see what happens?

Rick C