Stainless ROA

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Old and grumpy

Single-Sixer
Just picked up a Stainless ROA. Very good condition. How would I look up the date it was made? sn #1352. Thanks.

Oh come on guys, tell ole grumpy his is one of the first ones( Non pre-fix) made in 1975, and the next year 1976, they started to use the #145 prefix....and by the way his gun does fall in the early range of a "possible" backwards rollmarked cylinder.. :rolleyes: ;)
...how about a picture????(y)

Old and grumpy

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the info. I thought this might be a "good one". She is almost perfect, as new. Has been fired but well taken care of. No dings or dents. Will try to get pictures up. --- Never been a hard core "collector" but have owned lots of Rugers and you have my interest now. What is this backwards rollmarked cylinder? I am old with not much I have to do except go down rabbit holes like this. I want to learn. --Questions. Is there a special Nipple Wrench for her? And where would I find one. Would it be a SIN to put a Kirst converter on her? They are drop in and I only load light. (any one have a extra to sell?) I am taking the 11 year old grand son to the Antique gun show in Vegas this weekend. https://www.antiquearmsshow.com/ He is a shooter,blade man, and is learning the bull whip I gave him for Christmas. Any of you have a booth I might drop by. Again thanks.

Old and grumpy

Single-Sixer
Looked for pictures of the backwards role mark. Can't find one. What do they look like?

yes, just need a picture from the side of your gun ,close up in the cylinder area.........
like this from either side no need for the serial number,just the cylinder itself.....
close up as you can

Attachments

• old army stls end rt.JPG
    old army stls end rt.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 50

chet15

Hawkeye
Looked for pictures of the backwards role mark. Can't find one. What do they look like?
If you read the cylinder inscription with the gun pointed away from you it is normal.
If you read it while the gun is pointed at your torso it is the scarce backwards inscription.
Your gun was produced in 1975. I assume it does not have a LIberty rollmark on the barrel.
Chet15

G2

Hunter
You will notice that the "For Blackpowder Only" is on there backwards, You have to point the gun at yourself to read it,,,,, well kinda sorta. It was mistake that happened to some of the early stainless guns.

The stainless guns without the pre-fix are interesting tidbit, because the blue guns were introduced ~ 1972 and they all had pre-fix. Then ~ 1975 along came the Stainless guns .... Initially no pre-fix….🧐

1975 serial numbers 1 to 2694
1976 serial numbers 2695- up.

sorry about the PB watermark it was not my intent.

1706201256311.jpeg

golferboy426's recent GB sale of sn# 103 was not a reverse rollmark. Picture for comparison.
1706202458734.jpeg

Last edited:

Threespears

Single-Sixer
Chet, a Buddy of mine dose have a stainless old model #5629 that dose have the Liberty barrel.
any input would be appreciated.

Old and grumpy

Single-Sixer
:DOK! It is just like #646. No "Liberty" on barrel. Over the years I passed on several ROAs because money was tight. Still is but this one was yelling "buy me". $499 plus tax. I read someplace that perhaps 500 reverse cylinders got shipped? What am I dealing with here?

You will notice that the "For Blackpowder Only" is on there backwards, You have to point the gun at yourself to read it,,,,, well kinda sorta. It was mistake that happened to some of the early stainless guns.

The stainless guns without the pre-fix are interesting tidbit, because the blue guns were introduced ~ 1972 and they all had pre-fix. Then ~ 1975 along came the Stainless guns .... Initially no pre-fix….🧐

1975 serial numbers 1 to 2694
1976 serial numbers 2695- up.

sorry about the PB watermark it was not my intent.

View attachment 38284
golferboy426's recent GB sale of sn# 103 was not a reverse rollmark. Picture for comparison.
View attachment 38285
Hey who said you could steal my pic???? LOL