Stainless 44 Special.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

xtratoy

Buckeye
You will have to watch the classifieds and gun auction sites. I believe they were a limited run of 500 for TALO. Can someone verify that?

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
xtratoy said:
You will have to watch the classifieds and gun auction sites. I believe they were a limited run of 500 for TALO. Can someone verify that?

Yep -- I believe that's correct. The TALO kinda dribbled out of Ruger between Feb '09 and Sept '10 (approximate dates) and supposedly they shipped 500 during that time. They didn't sell all that well. I got one (new) from Arizona Arms in April '11 that shipped in Sept '10. At that time Arizona Arms charged $500 for it. As I've opined many times; it's a wonderfully finished revolver -- really the best finished Ruger I've handled --- and the most accurate.

I don't see any on GunBroker today.

Good luck with your search.

wheelguner

Bearcat
Buckeye,
Looks like you and I had the same kind of day. On the way home from work an insistent little voice told me to stop at a newly opened pawn shop near home. I listen to that voice and have yet to regret it. The guy behind the counter told me all used guns were $30 off and I spotted a stainless Ruger SA from 10ft and when I got close I saw it was a flat top 4 5/8"and in 44spc at that. It is the least used, used firearm I have bought..... I mean pristine condition with box, papers, blank warranty card, fired case and the keys still stapled to the warranty card (which is where they'll stay). A quick Google told me it was a TALO Distributors item with a run of a 1000. The lock up is tighter than any production gun I've felt so I hope it will be a shooter. Can you feel me grinning?

gramps

Hawkeye
Nice snag wheel gunner, yep we feel ya grinnin. There a bunch here that will
be envious to boot. Pics and range report is mandatory. Ha ha.
gramps

Major T

Blackhawk
I suppose I was lucky on all counts with my SS .44 Special 4 5/8. I got one of the very first ones. I had to make an early morning run to Dallas Love field. Stopped and had breakfast waiting for my favorite Dallas pusher to open Went in the store, spied the Ruger, wrote the check and came on home. As we were doing the paper work, I commented that I did not know they were available. He replied that it was his first, that it came in just before closing time the day before. Lucky me!

In a moment of stupidity, I had traded away my S & W 24 a few years ago, and had felt semi-naked without a .44 special. My first shot with the Ruger was at a baseball sized target at about 40 yards with a fairly stiff loaded 240 hard cast bullet. Target demolished. Still lucky. I also I count myself fortunate that the money was available without straining the family budget, as my gun stash was low.

Congratulations on your find. I hope you enjoy it as much as i do mine. I use mine a good bit when at relatives' ranches. It is handy (holstered) while driving either a truck or a Mule. The first blood was on a rattle snake that needed his neck shortened, just behind his ears. jack

Hondo44

Hawkeye
xtratoy said:
I picked up the 44 Spl today and had a chance to put some rounds through it. It shot great but I was shooting 200 grain bullet at 950 FPS and the rear sight was cranked all the way down and still hitting high at 25 yards. I put a taller front sight I had in the parts drawer that is the stock sight for the Blackhawk 45 Colt with the 7.5" barrel. Now it should be fine with heavier bullets next time out. It came with a Super Blackhawk hammer which would had been great except it was for a blued model and it just doesn't look right. I went to order one and Midway is out of stock until February of 2013. Looks like I will be waiting awhile to swap it out.

Just polish off the blue and you'll never know the difference. Hey, I might even have a stainless I'll trade you for the blue one if you didn't have to shorten it to get it in the mid-frame.

xtratoy

Buckeye
Thanks for the tip and trade offer. I have one on order and plan on swapping the blue Super hammer into my 5.5" blued 44 Special Flattop.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Oh yeah that's the ticket!
orig.jpg

orig.jpg