Stainless 44 Special.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

xtratoy

Buckeye
I have been kicking myself in the rear end ever since I didn't get one of the stainless 4 5/8" flattops a while ago. I had the chance but was holding out for a stainless 5.5" which never happened. I also foolishly passed on a great price on one of the "goof" 7 1/2" Bisley framed Shootists guns. Even though these were not stainless I knew deep down I should have bought it. Unfortunately all this was happening in a time when I was unemployed. I did get a regular production 5.5" in blue and it shoots as good or better than any other S.A. I own. Today I was able to get the stainless 4 5/8" 44 SPL. I prefer the 5.5" models but that little 4 5/8" stuck in the back of my mind all this time. Plus the fact that all who had one talked about how much they liked theirs. I waited overnight to see if someone would save me some money but it was still there this morning and I am off to the bank to get a money order to send for the gun. Hi, my name is Bill and I am a Ruger Single Action Aholic :shock: :lol:

sash

Bearcat
Bill, funny you should post this. My local pusher has a stainless .45 on the flattop frame that just speaks to me. I just picked up a blue one 5-1/2", when lo and behold, there appears the one I really wanted in the first place! Back to well for another dipper, I guess!

Welcome to the "aholic" club!

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
It's one of my very favorite handguns.

a668c219.jpg

gramps

Hawkeye
I was wanting a .44 special also now that I sort of like SA. 32mag wouldn't trade my 629-3 for his beautiful .44 spcl (He said it took too long to find it, I countered with "look with all the Rugers you own you will never miss it".) Anyway I've ended up buying two .44 mags ss 4 5/8 inch barrels with the non-fluted cylinders. I can still shoot .44 spcls.
gramps

xtratoy

Buckeye
sash said:
Bill, funny you should post this. My local pusher has a stainless .45 on the flattop frame that just speaks to me. I just picked up a blue one 5-1/2", when lo and behold, there appears the one I really wanted in the first place! Back to well for another dipper, I guess!

Welcome to the "aholic" club!

I feel your pain. :lol: I already have a mid frame 45 colt/45acp stainless flatop :D with a 5.5" barrel. I am your typical accumulator! I just hope this gun shoots as well as my blue 5.5" gun.

xtratoy

Buckeye
I have a bunch of 300 gr hard cast bullets I really want to use in the gun. Does anyone have a 44 special load using heavyweight bullets that will be suitable for this revolver?

xtratoy

Buckeye
Larry , how about a picture from the the rear to see the thickness of the grips. Are they about the same as stock grips? Thicker, thinner?

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
xtratoy said:
Larry , how about a picture from the the rear to see the thickness of the grips. Are they about the same as stock grips? Thicker, thinner?

The 44 is out in the truck right now, but although the left grip panel is only a tiny bit thicker than the original plastic grips, the right panel is quite a bit thicker than the left one. If you look closely at the pictures (at the very front of the grip, in front of the emblem) you can see the difference.

xtratoy

Buckeye
I picked up the 44 Spl today and had a chance to put some rounds through it. It shot great but I was shooting 200 grain bullet at 950 FPS and the rear sight was cranked all the way down and still hitting high at 25 yards. I put a taller front sight I had in the parts drawer that is the stock sight for the Blackhawk 45 Colt with the 7.5" barrel. Now it should be fine with heavier bullets next time out. It came with a Super Blackhawk hammer which would had been great except it was for a blued model and it just doesn't look right. I went to order one and Midway is out of stock until February of 2013. Looks like I will be waiting awhile to swap it out.

williamc

Single-Sixer
I had the same issue with mine shooting high. I called Ruger, and they sent me a new sight free of charge. had it installed in 30 min.

You got a great deal on that sixgun! Congrats!

xtratoy

Buckeye
weconway said:
I had the same issue with mine shooting high. I called Ruger, and they sent me a new sight free of charge. had it installed in 30 min.

You got a great deal on that sixgun! Congrats!

I called Ruger up and they were totally clueless about a replacement front sight that was taller for this gun. They acted like they had never heard of this issue. I even told them that it was the sight for a 7.5" stainless 45 Blackhawk. They tried to sell me a hi-viz sight off of shopruger.com. :roll:

davidj

Bearcat
Larry from Bend said:
xtratoy said:

The 44 is out in the truck right now, but although the left grip panel is only a tiny bit thicker than the original plastic grips, the right panel is quite a bit thicker than the left one. If you look closely at the pictures (at the very front of the grip, in front of the emblem) you can see the difference.

The different thicknesses...by your design or did they just come that way? I ask because I ordered some oversized grips and just 1/16" on each side is almost too fat. I am considering sanding them down a little.

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
davidj said:
Larry from Bend said:
xtratoy said:

The different thicknesses...by your design or did they just come that way? I ask because I ordered some oversized grips and just 1/16" on each side is almost too fat. I am considering sanding them down a little.

Mine just came that way. I know what you're referring too .... It doesn't take much added width to get grips that are too fat.