SR9C Slide not closing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

moveon622

Bearcat
I called Ruger today to check on the status of my gun. They said I should have it back by the weekend. I will report their findings once I get it back and can make it to the range for test fire.

PlaythruChazfar

Bearcat
Cheesewhiz said:
Jeff Quinn said:
Have you tried any quality ammunition yet?

Jeff

Jeff, Sellier & Bellot is quality ammo. I have used it for years and can speak for it with confidence.

It may be less expensive than others but is of a very good build, clean shooting, accurate, dependable and consistent. I wish some of the American makers could be so good.

My wild guess is the guy has a baulky extractor but it doesn't sound as though he has many rounds downrange with a centerfire pistol, so it could be just a limp wrist issue.

My sr9c did not like sellier & Bellot at all I had jams shells not ejecting so when I switched to PMC or Winchester NATO the problems went away.

freedomcosts

Single-Sixer
Didn't want to start a new thread but wanted to post the latest- I had fired WWB and Remington JHPs and had the 2nd occasion to have misfires and misfeeds, so sent to Ruger again. I remember the good rev saying I needed to quit using the cheap stuff. But after 17 days I got the 9c back just now. Re: shipping notice, this time they DID send me an email with shipping number ( I shot them an email and thanked em for notice and quick turnaround.) The return packing slip said they repaired the ejector, and replaced the slide. Doesn't say why or wherefor, but sure sounds like it was more than Remington or WWB problems. They test-fired 60 rnds using Black Hills 115gr FMJs- which got me thinking- we know HPs are more difficult for most pistols to feed- and they are the most common SD rounds- seems it would be better to test-fire with HPs? Just sayin'.

freedomcosts

Single-Sixer
So true, that's why it's important they notify you of hte tracking number. You can arrange for an adult to be there when UPS delivers it.

moveon622

Bearcat
UPS just delivered the gun back to me. The repair slip says they replaced the trigger bar reset and they repaired the extractor. they shot 50 rounds of black hills 115G FMJ with no malfunctions.
One thing that is strange is under Condition Notes: it says "received with scratches on the slide"
I know there were no scratches when it was sent in so I looked it over real good as soon as I opened it...... There are still no scratches on it. I have no idea what that is all about.
I will get to the range probably the first of next week and report back.

freedomcosts

Single-Sixer
Strange- Mine said that, too, no scrateches before or after I got it back. But funnier- it said "Goo all over bottom of two magazines." Some of you may have had the finger-extensions on the 17-rd mags pinch your fingers? To keep them from sliding up, and then sliding down and pinching my fingers, I put some cheap glue on them. Works fine but- it did get on the extension, just white, hard stuff. I used cheap glue so I could pop em back off if I needed to.

3rdIDvet

Bearcat
I am new to forum but not to pistols or revolvers. I just wanted to let you know that I had the exact ame problem with my S9C. It wasn't feeding right from the very 1st round. I went through a long list of all the things I must be doing wrong.. then sent it back to Ruger. They returned it and guess what: The paper they sent me said that they repalced the trigger reset and repaired the ejector[/u]. It also said that it was received with a scratch on it. There was none when I sent it or when it was returned. very strange.
I think some of the SR9C 's have some factory defects that they aren't telling everyone about. This is probably the 10th person I have heard from that had the exact same problem with a new SR9C. Since Most have no problems they assume it's the shooter. Since I got mine back I have fired over 800 rounds without any problem at all.

moveon622

Bearcat
I made it to the range last night. The gun worked perfectly. I could not get it to act up. I shot the exact same shells (purchased all of them at the same time) I was shooting when I had the problems. I shot it limp wristed on purpose and could not get it act up. I shot it normal, fast , slow with a correct grip, a light grip and it just kept shooting. At this point I would have to say it is fixed. I guess time will tell.

PlaythruChazfar

Bearcat
When you return it to ruger how is it boxed to protect it and do you buy insurance on it if it gets stolen or destroyed.

freedomcosts

Single-Sixer
If you have the plastic box it came in, box that into the smallest cardboard box you can fit it in to. FedEx and UPS have them (you can't ship it via the US Post Office.) Tape it up good, attach the label and either take it to FedEx or a UPS HUB Office- not one of those UPS stores, they can't ship firearms. Don't write anything on the box, I was tempted to mark it "Firearm" but that's a bad idea. And yes, I put insurance on mine, it's really cheap. You also need to write up a good explanation of what is happening, and include any magazines you were using when it happend- no ammo, no spent shells. As mentioned before, we also write "Please be sure and notify me at (my email address) when you return-ship the pistol." Hopefully they will, so you'll know when it's coming.

I came across this post and joined this forum because I've been having the exact same issue with my SR9c. I haven't had any feeding problems with the pistol, but since the day I bought it the striker has often failed to return to the cocked position when a new round is chambered. This has happened to me both when shooting the pistol and when manually racking the slide after inserting a fresh magazine. At first I thought it might just be a breaking-in issue, but after 2000+ rounds of various types of ammunition and after removing the striker and cleaning the striker channel several times, I still haven't had any improvement. This is not a question of "limp wristing" and is definitely an issue with the handgun itself. I've emailed Ruger and am waiting to hear back from them. I'll update this post once the issue is resolved.

I finally got around to returning the pistol to Ruger. The process was as easy as described earlier in this thread. After a quick email exchange, I called the company and spoke with a customer service representative who promptly emailed me a prepaid UPS shipping label. I then took the gun / magazines in the original plastic container to a UPS shipping hub where they boxed it up and sent it off to Ruger. The day the package arrived there, another customer service representative called to say that they had receive it and were already working on the gun. Within 24 hours it was fixed and on its way back to me via UPS. (Note that UPS requires signature confirmation from an adult over 21 years old at the time of delivery. They can't / won't leave it for you on your doorstep.) When I received the gun, the repair slip said that Ruger had replaced the trigger reset bar. (It also noted that the pistol was received with scratches on the slide - though there were no scratches on it either before I returned it or when I got it back.) Today I took it to the range and fired 300 rounds through it without any problems whatsoever. While it's a shame there were issues with the pistol to begin with, at the end of the day Ruger couldn't have done a better job in resolving them. For an ~$400 compact 9mm, I think it's hard to beat the SR9c - and the customer service that backs it up.