SR9c Able to dry fire without magazine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

markrb

Bearcat
I was reading that the SR9c is suppose to have a magazine disconnect that prevents firing if there is no magazine. I am actually able to dry fire my pistol when no magazine is loaded. I have not tried it with a round in the chamber and don't plan on it either. Is this a concern and should I contact Ruger?

Mark

jmlampert23

Bearcat
There is no magazine disconnect on the sr9c. and it will fire if there is a round in the chamber and the magazine out of the gun. there is nothing wrong with your pistol. that is just the design of the gun.

markrb

Bearcat
This statement comes right from the manual.

Your RUGER®
SR-SERIES pistol is equipped with a magazine disconnect.
This device prevents firing if the magazine is removed from the pistol. You will
not be able to use your SR-SERIES pistol as a single loader (unless you place
one cartridge in the magazine and insert it into the pistol) or to fire the pistol
with the magazine out of the pistol.

jmlampert23

Bearcat
when did you buy your sr9c? they might have changed it. I have had mine for about a year now. I just took mine out of the safe and it dry fires. I dont know what is going on. sorry i could not help more

markrb

Bearcat
I bought it two weeks ago.
I wonder if this only applies to the full size, but they did not properly edit their manual.

jmlampert23

Bearcat
it could only apply to the full size, im not sure i have not owned the full size. deffinitly give them a call

Mike J

Hunter
Jhearne could do a better job of explaining this but there is a mag disconnect safety on the SR series pistols. It will prevent a cartridge from firing if there is not a magazine in the gun. It can damage your pistol if you dry fire without a magazine in place. It does not prevent your pulling the trigger & it releasing the striker however there is a piece that blocks the striker from contacting the cartridge if there is not a magazine in place. Don't dry fire without a mag in place.

rickerb23

Bearcat
The magazine disconnect prevents the firing pin from moving completely forward. You will hear an audible ping if you fire without a magazine, but this is not from the pin striking the breechface. It is from striking the magazine disconnect. When you insert the magazine, the disconnect is pushed upward allowing the striker to move completely forward.

jhearne

Buckeye
@jmlampert23, I don't know where you're finding this info, but the SR9, SR9c, and the SR40 and most definitely ANY future striker fired SR pistols, WILL and DO have a Magazine Disconnect.

SR9 & SR9c Mag DC (from Ruger)

The striker fired SR Pistols share many parts.

Josh

jhearne

Buckeye
@markrb

What's happening is that your SR9c does have a Mag DC and you're actually releasing the Striker into the disconnect. Hope you haven't done it too many times, you might have caused some damage to the Striker or Mag DC. Take a look here at my video how-to on removing the Mag DC. It's on my SR9, but the steps are just the same for the 9c. If you want more detail, click the how-to link in my signature for my text/photo how-to.

Remove your Mag DC and inspect both the Striker and Mag DC for damage. You might not have done any harm, especially if you only did it a few times. If nothing looks marred, it should be fine. If you were planning on removing the Mag DC, I'd leave it out and reassemble. If you weren't, put them back in and only dry fire it with a mag in place. If you see damage on either part, call Ruger and get a replacement for the part that was damaged, or both if you're not sure of any damage. If the Striker is damaged any and even without the Mag DC installed afterwards, it can still cause malfunctions. Rather be safe than sorry.

Josh

markrb

Bearcat
In total I think it was done 3 or 4 times. My friend did it by accident and I did it to verify his results. I will do as you say this upcoming weekend.

Thanks,
Mark

jhearne

Buckeye
markrb said:
In total I think it was done 3 or 4 times. My friend did it by accident and I did it to verify his results. I will do as you say this upcoming weekend.

Thanks,
Mark

Shouldn't be any harm done to the parts, just check for any marring/deformation of the metal. Enjoy the SR9c!

Josh

markrb

Bearcat
I took it apart and I can see some witness marks on the striker and the DC. I wouldn't call it marring and I can't feel it when I rub my thumb across it.
The very edge of the striker where it contacts the DC looks a bit shiny, but it is only about the width of a hair. The rest of the striker looks fine.
Overall I think it's OK. What do you think?

Mark

zbird

Bearcat
I think it will be fine, but don't do it no more. Many people have done what you have done, take her out and shoot it, if you have any problems you will have a good idea where to look.