SR9 vs. Glock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TRanger":3b85ldi0 said:
The Glock works and shoots just fine with the factory guide rod. The metal after-market rods rank right up there with extended slide releases for suckering people into buying unnecessarry parts. As I said, the Glock is not my favorite pistol. I once viewed it with a skeptical eye. But I have now seen literally hundreds on the firing line and have owned seven over the years, myself. Many have been in the hands of people who maintain them indifferently or not at all. I have yet to see one that had an accuracy or reliability problem that was not the fault of the user. There must be a few somewhere, but I haven't seen them. Either I have incredibly good luck, or the Glock is one heck of a dependable pistol.

HUGE +1 to that. I wish it felt good in my hands though.

greener

Single-Sixer
Fun and (very) opinionated read. I don't own a Glock. I've fired a number of them. All had decent triggers, felt pretty good and were quite accurate. I'm not a Glock fan, but wouldn't have any problem getting one for carry. When I was in the market for my first 9mm, I bought an M&P.

I recently purchased an SR9. I liked the way it felt and liked the ease of target acquisition. Out of the box, it wouldn't eject the 125gr lrn I shoot in the M&P and would not shoot slightly hotter loads accurately. It does a fine job with 115gr FMJ. I also had to do serious polishing to overcome a really gritty trigger. During this time, the M&P fired every load I made accurately and without problems. It also has a lighter and smoother stock, factory trigger. Now that I've worked out the problems, the SR9 is a pretty good, very accurate pistol. I have no problems carrying it or using it for HD.

Better than the Glock? Out of the box, mine wasn't as good as any Glock I've fired. It certainly isn't a better pistol than my M&P. The SR9 is my 12th Ruger of some type. I was disappointed in the out of the box quality. It's a keeper and I may decide down the road that I like it better than the M&P, but it has a ways to go to prove itself.

ConradM

Blackhawk
greener":3fusix00 said:
Fun and (very) opinionated read. I don't own a Glock. I've fired a number of them. All had decent triggers, felt pretty good and were quite accurate. I'm not a Glock fan, but wouldn't have any problem getting one for carry. When I was in the market for my first 9mm, I bought an M&P.

I recently purchased an SR9. I liked the way it felt and liked the ease of target acquisition. Out of the box, it wouldn't eject the 125gr lrn I shoot in the M&P and would not shoot slightly hotter loads accurately. It does a fine job with 115gr FMJ. I also had to do serious polishing to overcome a really gritty trigger. During this time, the M&P fired every load I made accurately and without problems. It also has a lighter and smoother stock, factory trigger. Now that I've worked out the problems, the SR9 is a pretty good, very accurate pistol. I have no problems carrying it or using it for HD.

Better than the Glock? Out of the box, mine wasn't as good as any Glock I've fired. It certainly isn't a better pistol than my M&P. The SR9 is my 12th Ruger of some type. I was disappointed in the out of the box quality. It's a keeper and I may decide down the road that I like it better than the M&P, but it has a ways to go to prove itself.

No doubt. It's no big secret that SR9 triggers are hit and miss. I was lucky with mine I guess. Smooth (although heavy) trigger out of the box and zero failures to date. The fact that I modded my trigger is just a bonus for me because I seldom leave anything the way it was intended.

greener

Single-Sixer
The key to any pistol is that it works reliably. All the major manufacturer's seem to have accomplished that and make firearms that are reasonably consistent shooters. Accuracy is something the shooter does. After that it is a matter of owner preference and confidence in the weapon. "Better" is a relative term and the subject of much discussion.

kujiin

Bearcat
Ok here is my two cents.

I don't have the biggest set of paws in town. In fact I have short fingers. I've tried the following: Taurus PT-840, Taurus 24/7 OSS. Glock 19 and lastly the SR9. The 840 and the 19 grips were way to big. The 24/7 OSS grip was just about right. Finally, the SR9 fits perfect and it shoots like a dream for me. XD's brag bout being an extension of your hand. I feel that way about my SR9. Its very natural to point and shoot with. Since I'm left handed the take down pin's long flat shape makes a perfect memory pad.

kuj

jhearne

Buckeye
Read through all the posts and there's quite a few opinions on the subject.

I've shot a few Glocks in my short life and handled many more. They are quite reliable in my experience and accurate enough for me, and I'm sure with more trigger time with one I could grow to be a better shot with one. But the grip angle is not the same as my SR9, which is more comfortable for me to hold and shoot. I shoot my SR9 ok, I can hit about what I'm aiming at, but I'll admit I'm not a great shot with most of my pistols (my hands aren't the steadiest, pretty shaky IMO). Relatives have shot my SR9 and do better than I can with it normally, and they group it well. I'll put it in the "It's accurate enough for me" category. And there is a difference in what a shooter can do and what the gun is capable of grouping.

Despite my personal dislikes, I have to say most Glocks are better pistols than the SR9. The Glock has dominated it's own niche in the Striker Fired market for quite some time and has built up quite a name for themselves. The availablility of parts, it's ruggedness, and overall reliability makes it a better product in comparison. I feel that if Ruger wanted to take a serious chunk of the Striker market, they would have raised the bar a bit and knocked it out of the park. Don't get me wrong, I love my SR9, but there's too many smaller teething flaws to overlook across the short life of the SR9. In time the SR9 could work out of it's growing pains, but right now it's still in it's awkward teens, still figuring things out.

The XD and more recently the XDm are new to the Striker Market as well, along with a few more names to boot, but I haven't heard (nor gone looking for) anything bad about them. The XDm looks great, but the grip isn't for me, the old XD is more along my lines if I had to.

Is it fair to compare the SR9 vs a Glock? Yes and No, the Glock has seen it's what, 3rd or 4th generation now? Plus it's available in numerous calibers and sizes. It's also been a choice weapon for Police and Military around the world. The SR9 has not, in any way, seen any serious variation except for having a 17 and 10 round model available in a blackened and OD Green variation. I give the SR9, right now, the edge in Ergonomics and Appearance only. Mine shoots flawlessly, but I am only one person and have only shot my SR9. However, I have seen many many more problems with the SR9 through this forum, it's not a perfect gun as a group. Neither is the Glock, or any realistic product for that matter, but the sheer number of production and service it's seen weighs in it's favor.

Josh

ConradM

Blackhawk
jhearne":1nku42tz said:
Read through all the posts and there's quite a few opinions on the subject.

I've shot a few Glocks in my short life and handled many more. They are quite reliable in my experience and accurate enough for me, and I'm sure with more trigger time with one I could grow to be a better shot with one. But the grip angle is not the same as my SR9, which is more comfortable for me to hold and shoot. I shoot my SR9 ok, I can hit about what I'm aiming at, but I'll admit I'm not a great shot with most of my pistols (my hands aren't the steadiest, pretty shaky IMO). Relatives have shot my SR9 and do better than I can with it normally, and they group it well. I'll put it in the "It's accurate enough for me" category. And there is a difference in what a shooter can do and what the gun is capable of grouping.

Despite my personal dislikes, I have to say most Glocks are better pistols than the SR9. The Glock has dominated it's own niche in the Striker Fired market for quite some time and has built up quite a name for themselves. The availablility of parts, it's ruggedness, and overall reliability makes it a better product in comparison. I feel that if Ruger wanted to take a serious chunk of the Striker market, they would have raised the bar a bit and knocked it out of the park. Don't get me wrong, I love my SR9, but there's too many smaller teething flaws to overlook across the short life of the SR9. In time the SR9 could work out of it's growing pains, but right now it's still in it's awkward teens, still figuring things out.

The XD and more recently the XDm are new to the Striker Market as well, along with a few more names to boot, but I haven't heard (nor gone looking for) anything bad about them. The XDm looks great, but the grip isn't for me, the old XD is more along my lines if I had to.

Is it fair to compare the SR9 vs a Glock? Yes and No, the Glock has seen it's what, 3rd or 4th generation now? Plus it's available in numerous calibers and sizes. It's also been a choice weapon for Police and Military around the world. The SR9 has not, in any way, seen any serious variation except for having a 17 and 10 round model available in a blackened and OD Green variation. I give the SR9, right now, the edge in Ergonomics and Appearance only. Mine shoots flawlessly, but I am only one person and have only shot my SR9. However, I have seen many many more problems with the SR9 through this forum, it's not a perfect gun as a group. Neither is the Glock, or any realistic product for that matter, but the sheer number of production and service it's seen weighs in it's favor.

Josh

Well said. :)

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
IMO (or, as much as I hate to admit it), the Glock has become a modern classic. There is as rich an aftermarket for accessories for it as there is the 1911. Other companies have been cloning and modifying the design for 10+ years, and we now have "next generation Glocks" in the XDs and M&Ps, and ok, SR-9s of the world.

I'm not a huge fan of Glocks, but I've owned several over the years and still have one, despite the grip angle. I can detail strip one in my sleep, and my G17L is actually a fairly good target gun. The finish on this one is nicer than any Glock I've ever seen, and it is a nice, sleek function-before-form, no nonsense pistol. I much prefer "blued steel and walnut" (or even anodized aluminum and rubber, in the case of my Sigs), but its hard to argue with Glock's success.

-- Sam

ConradM

Blackhawk
peanut":tj7cz7nw said:
SR9 triggers are hit and miss? How?

Just varying reports of weight, grittiness etc... I handled about 4 different SR9's before I bought mine and all the triggers felt slightly different. I made sure to get a nib model when I got mine. :lol:

That being said, I think they all eventually work out to be about the same after break-in and or polishing. (and clipping coils off in my case)

snakespit

Bearcat
]
conradm":29m06cdj said:
No doubt. It's no big secret that SR9 triggers are hit and miss. I was lucky with mine I guess. Smooth (although heavy) trigger out of the box and zero failures to date. The fact that I modded my trigger is just a bonus for me because I seldom leave anything the way it was intended.

how can the SR9 be better than the glock if the trigger is a crap shoot.

greener

Single-Sixer
Yosemite Sam":18yvmjzq said:
peanut":18yvmjzq said:
SR9 triggers are hit and miss? How?
Sometimes ya hit, sometimes ya miss. Some folks blame the trigger. :D

-- Sam

When I miss it's either the gun or the ammo. I reload the ammo, so it must be the gun. Can't think of anything else that might cause it. :lol:

The SR9 trigger is generally heavier than the Glock. Some, not all, can be gritty. You can probably fire enough rounds to smooth it out, but polishing the trigger bar and other parts is easier and faster.

ConradM

Blackhawk
snakespit":211p569p said:
]
conradm":211p569p said:

how can the SR9 be better than the glock if the trigger is a crap shoot.

It's not so much that it's better... Just that the Glock (to me) isn't the godsend everyone makes it out to be.

A

Anonymous

hey all, sorry to threadjack, I am a first time gun owner and just purchased my first ever gun, the sr9 a couple of weeks ago.

I noticed a couple of you mentioned you had to send your sr9 back to ruger for peening.

What is peening and how do I know if my gun needs to be fixed for peening, please forgive me as I am a literal newb and just barely learning all of this stuff.

Dustin

aWoods

Single-Sixer
IMHO, most SR9s would be better than most glocks if they improved the SR9's trigger.

That's the thing I don't get. You have this really sweet pistol with crazy good ergos, and the trigger is bleh.

XD is definately better than the glock imho, and the XDM is that much better.