SR9/ SR9c & SR40/SR40c Trigger Reset Fix.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Verndog said:
revhigh said:
You guys just keep on 'improving' your guns until they don't work at all.
REV

Rev, come on now, even a Ferrari can be improved, it all boils down to cost vs benefit. 8) That said, when it comes to a CCW, I will lean heavily toward the if it works don't fix it camp.

But if you follow this line of thinking to it's ultimate conclusion, I guess I shouldn't have added the Crimson Trace Laser and pinky finger extension to the Taurus TCP that IS my CCW? You got to draw a line somewhere on what limits you'll allow the lawyers to lay out for you.
You buy your ticket and you take your ride.
Sal

revhigh

Hawkeye
Nah Sal ... that stuff is add-on stuff and perfectly fine. Like changing the sights or grips ... no issue ... in my opinion at least.

By the way ... for range work ... do whatever the hell you want ... change out the springs for clothes hangers for all I care. I say go for it.

It's for carry that I don't think that serious change-out stuff should be done, and I think most SR's are used for carry by people here.

Every one of my guns is stock ... EXCEPT for my Springfield 1911 GI ... it's had some drop-in stuff done and a scary excellent trigger job ....DEFINITELY range only .... I won't even let anybody else at the range touch it unless I know they're an experienced shooter and well-versed in 1911's.

Truth be told ... the rest of my guns are higher end Colt 1911's and Ruger and Colt revolvers. Never felt a need to do ANYTHING to them, but most of the Colts are Pythons and Gold Cups, so they don't need any work anyway. I have all three calibers in Super Redhawks, and a GP100, and they all have perfectly acceptable triggers. A few MKII's which are fine the way they are. Honestly ... none of my guns have ever needed any work. I bought a well-used Colt Python once that had slight timing issues when I bought it ... I sent it to Colt and it was repaired PERFECTLY for $85.

Buy good guns, test them first, and don't buy a gun knowing it needs work or doesn't meet your needs, and your amateur gunsmithing days are a thing of the past. :D

If you flat out just like to tinker .... tinker with your range guns ...

By the way .... guns like the one that the OP is talking about (with all that amateur stuff done to it) is the reason many FFL's will ONLY accept transfers from other FFL's. WHY ??? Liability. If an FFL accepts a transfer of a gun from another FFL ... and there is a problem or an issue with the gun and somebody gets hurt ... he KNOWS that he can go back against that FFL (who transferred it to him) .... who he KNOWS has deep liability insurance. Accepting a transfer from Joe Citizen who has nothing but a 1987 Chevy to his name is a liability to the receiving FFL if it turns out that the gun in question has been hacked up and messed with by some amateur kitchen-table gunsmith.

There's a lot to think about when modifying the fire-control system of a gun ... including disclosing all that stuff to a potential buyer. If anything bad happens ... you WILL be sued. Sure you can say you don't know anything about it, but that would be fairly easy to disprove .... especially if you posted it on the internet in a gun forum. :D

The internet is FOREVER, and lawyers just LOVE to let their junior partners search for stuff like that, as well as interview all your friends and acquaintences that KNEW you did that stuff to your gun. The question is ...will your buddies commit perjury for you ?

REV

Verndog

Blackhawk
Sal1950 said:
But if you follow this line of thinking to it's ultimate conclusion, I guess I shouldn't have added the Crimson Trace Laser and pinky finger extension to the Taurus TCP that IS my CCW? You got to draw a line somewhere on what limits you'll allow the lawyers to lay out for you.
You buy your ticket and you take your ride.
Sal

Not really, the stock sight doesn't work in the dark. :wink: I lean heavily, not necessarily 100%. My main intent with a CCW is to avoid becoming a victim, while Keeping in mind you can become a victim on the streets, and also in court.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I doubt if hanging a flashlight or laser is going to be a liability issue with a CCW/defense pistol, changing sights wouldn't be a problem either. A couple of things about flashlights and lasers is they can make a big difference in the handling of a gun and holsters are now a bit more difficult in choice and now bigger so a little harder in the concealment department.

...I have seen and read of issue with poorly designed rail mounted accessories causing the pistol to not function properly. Most had more to do with a crappy designed clamping system. There was a particular flashlight that when mounted on some XD's caused them to become single shot wonders that I heard about three or four years ago, I don't recall the brand or model of light but I'm sure it could be found on an XD forum.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
RobbyRotten said:
I hope this thread dies real soon. It's just mind boggling to me that there are so many people so preoccupied with protecting me from a liability suit.

Edited to remove the phrase: "I GOT IT!!" - because I really don't get it.

Rev stresses the liability issues quite well and take it for what you will.

I'm more focused on the safety and reliablity part of it. I have seen many a "kitchen table" wonder do some really cruddy stuff at the range. If in a quest for the ultimate target trigger for your micro mini pistol that you keep loaded with the best self defense ammo available, that you disable a passive safety and drop that gun and it fires, it becomes a safety issue many minutes before it becomes a liability issue.
If you fix and improve your gun just to the point of not functioning that could also be a bit of a problem at some point.

Got it yet?

revhigh

Hawkeye
RobbyRotten said:
I hope this thread dies real soon. It's just mind boggling to me that there are so many people so preoccupied with protecting me from a liability suit.

Edited to remove the phrase: "I GOT IT!!" - because I really don't get it.

There are some that think beyond the mere act of carrying the gun, which most newbies don't do (not saying you're a newbie RR). They get their newly minted CCW license and strap on a gun. Then they want lasers, flashlights, hollow points, night sights, +P+++ ammo, and all kinds of other tacticool crap. Many times it's the first gun they've owned, they have a few hundred rounds experience ... no training ... no legal understanding of carry laws, and absolutely no tactical experience at all.

That's what we're discussing now.

It always makes me laugh when somebody asks 'What self-defense ammo should I use ?' Then they go about talking about one-shot stops, muzzle energy and blah blah blah. If you need to ask what self-defense ammunition to use ... you shouldn't be carrying a gun. Most of these tacticool mall ninjas can't hit a full size silhouette at 7 yards consistently ... and they're walking around carrying the most deadly 9MM or .40 ammo AND two extra mags.

Shot placement is EVERYTHING ... give me one well aimed shot with a .22 rather than 16 misses with the newest hottest ++P+++ mega buffalo bore XTP QRS at 2800 fps and a muzzle flash that leaves you blind at night.

There's a LOT of people carrying guns that really shouldn't be ... I see them at the range all the time. Poor muzzle discipline, NO ... and I mean ... NO ... trigger discipline, sweeping the range every time they turn around, etc etc. I just hope I'm not around when they open up and start spraying with their extended 19 round mags and two backups.

REV

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
RobbyRotten said:
Well, it's just that after a while, it's had to determine whether "liability" is the real issue or whether "liability" is being used to rationalize ones personal beliefs/preferences.

Side note: I do not remove my firing pin blocks. :lol:

The "you" was a collective you, not you, now I confused.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
RobbyRotten said:
Cheesewhiz said:
RobbyRotten said:
Well, it's just that after a while, it's had to determine whether "liability" is the real issue or whether "liability" is being used to rationalize ones personal beliefs/preferences.

Side note: I do not remove my firing pin blocks. :lol:

The "you" was a collective you, not you, now I confused.

Just didn't want to be included in the collective "you"

Never was my intention, my friend.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Hey Cheese !

How many SP01's ya got now ? I'm still waiting to buy one of your castoffs ...

REV

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
It's to bad I really fill this thread could of helped people with the reset problem. But it is not worth all the rubbish that it caused.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
mn_doggie said:
On a gun forum, I'd rather hear about amateur gunsmithing than amateur lawyering.

jstanfield103 said:
It's to bad I really fill this thread could of helped people with the reset problem. But it is not worth all the rubbish that it caused.

AMEN and my apologies jstanfield.
Sal

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I am very glad that it helped freedomcosts, did it also make you're trigger a lot smoother?
If you email me I will give details to who ever request it.

A

Anonymous

I'm waiting for it to come back from Ruger...I won't be doing anything til I fire it a good bit when it comes back. But thanks for the offer.

Latest posts