SR40: First Malfunction

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WolfePack01

Bearcat
I had the first malfunction with my SR40 today at the range. 296 rounds without one problem. Round # 297 looks to have raised too high or at too sharp of an upward angle and got stuck against the outside top of the chamber rather than sliding into it. The slide was stuck in place until I released the magazine. The mag was also stuck in place, I had to pull it out. Any one else have a problem like this before? Would this be considered a double-feed? After this malfunction I had no other problems.

fixer

Bearcat
could be out of spec ammo. I've been having a rash of bad ammo lately from manufacturers that are normally good.

One bad round out of 296 is definitely suspect ammo.

keep shooting.

boomer1

Single-Sixer
Have you cleaned your pistol recently? What kind of ammo are you using?
There are some brands that are certainly dirtier than others? Which could in turn dirty up your gun and possibly cause jamming issues.

boomer 8)

WolfePack01

Bearcat
I'm really leaning towards an ammo problem. I was using Magtech for the first time. It was all that was available at the range. What do you guys think of Magtech? I'll try something else and run some more rounds through it.

WolfePack01

Bearcat
So far I have used Rem JHP and FMJ, Winchester (whitebox), and today Magtech. I cleaned the gun 2-3 weeks ago after shooting at the range. It should've been in good working order this morning. Please don't tell me I should try cleaning the gun before shooting. I don't think someone breaking in my house will wait while I clean my gun if that's what it will take to work...

captaindanger

Bearcat
So I took my new Ruger SR40 out last night. I had 1 box of 100 rounds of Winchester 165 grain FMJ. 2 boxes (50 rounds each) of Winchester 180 Grain FMJ and 1 box of 100 Remington 180 Grain Hollow Point.

Short story is after an hour of random jams and frustration, we realized that the Winchester 180 Grain FMJ (both boxes) jammed/stove piped every single time. No issues at all with the other rounds.

I bought all of the ammo at the same time from Walmart.

Has anyone ran across this or dealt with this issue?

Thanks

gstan1919

Single-Sixer
I have only run the Winchester 165 grain FMJ from Walmart. 500 rounds with out any problems with my SR-40.
Have you tried anything else after the 165 grain FMJ?

captaindanger

Bearcat
We shot half of the 165s first, no problem. Then switched to the 180. Jam...jam..jam. We took the gun apart, cleaned, etc and relaoded the 180. Jam...jam..jam. Tried the other box. Jam..jam..jam.

After that, we loaded the 165 again. No problem. Then we shot the 180 Remington HP. No problem.

boomer1

Single-Sixer
captaindanger said:
So I took my new Ruger SR40 out last night. I had 1 box of 100 rounds of Winchester 165 grain FMJ. 2 boxes (50 rounds each) of Winchester 180 Grain FMJ and 1 box of 100 Remington 180 Grain Hollow Point.

Short story is after an hour of random jams and frustration, we realized that the Winchester 180 Grain FMJ (both boxes) jammed/stove piped every single time. No issues at all with the other rounds.

I bought all of the ammo at the same time from Walmart.

Has anyone ran across this or dealt with this issue?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum from the Seattle area.
boomer 8)

kel ruger man

Single-Sixer
call me what you want but any good gun should fire any ammo out there. i dont care who makes it. i use all the same stuff you used that jammed your gun, never have any problems. my p95 however did have those issues. my cz40 never failed to fire anything i stick in it. i will have to say your gun has issues.

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
Check the overall length of the rounds. May be a long load.

Could be the extra snap from the lighter round twisting in your hand, limp wristing the gun sorta? Just thoughts. My wife can shoot my G27 with 180 grains but she tends to jam on the 165s. Its a grip thing, it won't do it with me.

So far the SR40s I've dealt with have been garbage disposals, eat anything. The only issues I've seen is Tullammo causing issues with the draging of the cartridge over the old one. Part of that may be the new mags I was using. I cleared up after a few mags of the stuff, now runs fine.

boomer1

Single-Sixer
Egalloway said:
Check the overall length of the rounds. May be a long load.

Could be the extra snap from the lighter round twisting in your hand, limp wristing the gun sorta? Just thoughts. My wife can shoot my G27 with 180 grains but she tends to jam on the 165s. Its a grip thing, it won't do it with me.

So far the SR40s I've dealt with have been garbage disposals, eat anything. The only issues I've seen is Tullammo causing issues with the draging of the cartridge over the old one. Part of that may be the new mags I was using. I cleared up after a few mags of the stuff, now runs fine.

I agree with you Eric. Both of my 40S&W pistols, Taurus PT24/7 and Ruger SR40, have not had any issues with any ammo... they just work! I did break each of them in with about 200 rounds each of American Eagle and Rem of various weights. Now, they eat anything, without a hiccup. The 24/7 has gone through about 1000 rounds, the SR40 about 500 rounds.

boomer 8)

WolfePack01

Bearcat
Could you guys give me some insight on Magtech ammo? I've never used it before. It seemed to make the gun much dirtier than usual, maybe a cheaply made ammo?

fixer

Bearcat
I've used about 300 rds of magtech in 9mm in about 5 years of shooting. no problems.

Amazon Hunter

Bearcat
I have about 200 rounds of the Winchester 165gr from walmart and a small amount of Hornady Critical Defense run through my SR40 so far with no issues. I will be shooting about 300 more through it at the end of April.

WolfePack01

Bearcat
Oh well, it could be any number of things. There isn't a gun on the market that i've looked into that hasn't jammed at some point. It could be my fault, I don't shot all that often. I'm still very happy with the gun overall.

whipster

Bearcat
Sorry to say, I know what you mean. Just got my new SR40. Was very excited to get this gun in my hands and try ity out but my first experience was very disappointing.
I loaded both clips (like a fool) and upon inserting the first and cocking, the friggin gun jammed!
The cartridge got stuck before chambering?!
I ejected it and tried again, with the same result.
I was using MagTech ammo, not sure that matters as I'm fairly convinced this is a problem with the gun, not the ammo after reading the other posts.
I got one to chamber after ejecting 9, so I fired it and it jammed immediately. thanks ruger for such confidence building experience.

Lateck

Single-Sixer
whipster said:
Sorry to say, I know what you mean. Just got my new SR40.
I got one to chamber after ejecting 9, so I fired it and it jammed immediately. thanks ruger for such confidence building experience.

I am sure there is more then meets the eye going on here!

What ammo?, Have you cleaned the gun? You know the basic questions?
I ask them because you used a clip and not the Magazine :shock: :lol:
I have Confidence in all of my Ruger's! :D (now the pilot is another question :D )

Lateck,

Latest posts