SR22 Might be crazy but...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

beltron462

Bearcat
I swear the thumb side (right hander) safety button on my sr22 is turning reddish in color. Now i'm not sure if it came this way and I never noticed it, but I had it out last night (it's winter here so I haven't had it out to shoot in a few months) to wipe it down and that darn button looked like it had a red tint to it. Am I crazy? Could anybody check on thiers and look at it for me? Like I said, maybe it came this way and I just didn't notice. The weirder thing is, the button on the opposite side looks plain black. It doesn't look like rust, and I don't even know that it's metal. Looks like polymer to me, and I wipe them down on a regular basis anyway. Thanks.

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
The SR22P magazine release buttons are polymer (plastic). Maybe you could post a pic so we could see how "red" this is.

beltron462

Bearcat
Couple of pics

20130308_160418.jpg.html

20130308_160345.jpg.html

beltron462

Bearcat
Here's a link to the pic

http://s745.beta.photobucket.com/user/beltron462/media/20130308_160345.jpg.html

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
OK, sorry for some reason I though you were referring to the mag button, my mistake. That's a small pic but Yes I can see you're complaint. They harden those parts which can sometimes make the finish difficult to take hold. If it is drastically different from the other side and bothers you to much give them a call and see what they'll do for you.

beltron462

Bearcat
It's actually a little brighter in the picture than it really looks. I guess it doesn't bother me enough to call about it (this is already my second sr22-had to have 1st replaced for crooked slide/frame). I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't anything like rust and just cosmetic. I can live with that. Just odd is all.

cagedodger

Bearcat
ArmedinAZ said:
Ruger is just trying to duplicate the color the old P series slides faded to..... :wink:

I was thinking the same thing.

Ruger uses an anodizing process on some of their alloys that, over time, turns to a deep plum color.

Some people like it, but I don't find it particularly attractive.

Cage 8)

beltron462

Bearcat
I really doubt it. It's like the entire piece changed. Maybe I'll just tell people it's a custom job like somebody else said haha.

cagedodger

Bearcat
Is it metal or polymer?

If it's metal, you could try some cold blue on it.

If it's polymer, and you can remove the part, a soak in black RIT clothing dye may blacken it. I have used this for dying plastic parts before.

Cage 8)

Jeff290

Bearcat
cagedodger said:
ArmedinAZ said:
Ruger is just trying to duplicate the color the old P series slides faded to..... :wink:

I was thinking the same thing.

Ruger uses an anodizing process on some of their alloys that, over time, turns to a deep plum color.

Some people like it, but I don't find it particularly attractive.

Cage 8)

I got my P95 a year ago but within 6 months the blued slide turned "plum"...

At first it bothered me but I think I'll keep it that way as it seems to add a bit of "character" (if not a topic of conversation...) Admittedly, at times I wish the slide more closely matched the frame color. I'm confident Ruger would take care of it , but don't want to be without my HD gun for several weeks.

I wonder if I would have used CLP instead of Hoppes #9 on the slide it would have remained the original blue??? I only use CLP on the frame... :?

Ashlander

Single-Sixer
The Hoppes #9 hypothesis sounds good. I have had my SR22 for well over a year and the safeties are still blued with only a little loss of bluing on the contact points. Nothing is turning red though. I don't used anything on the outside of the gun -- just wipe it off with a microfiber cloth.

Latest posts