SR1911 vs Kimber .45

Help Support Ruger Forum:

peterw

Bearcat
Hi,
Now it is time to ask for opinions.

Anybody that wants to compare SR1911 & a Kimber .45?
Please disregard the prices of the guns.

/Peter

bsnake

Single-Sixer
I've had a SR1911 for about 1.5 years. I also have 2 Kimber Custom II's, 1 stainless - 1 blue. 1000's of rounds thru them all.
In my opinion, the Ruger & Kimber Custom II's are very comparable in fit and function.

peterw

Bearcat
And if I want to go for serious bullseye shooting?
Want would you go for?

peterw

Bearcat
Thanks for your opinions
My friend think that I should by a Kimber, but I sort of have a thing for Ruger.

First gun - Ruger Mark II .22
Second gun - Morini CM22M .22
Third gun - Ruger SR9 (Probably the first in Sweden)
Fourth gun - Ruger SR1911? Probably as I feel now 8)

revhigh

Hawkeye
peterw said:

How can you 'disregard price' in your inquiry ?

The SR1911 is an entry level 1911 ... Kimber makes all levels of 1911's, including some 'supposed' very high end guns.

I don't even like MIMbers, but for equivalent (priced) guns ... I'd pick the Ruger .... If you asked me between the SR1911 and any gun in the MIMber line-up .... there is no question that I would pick a higher end MIMber .... and then I'd sell it and buy a Springfield or a Colt.

REV

peterw

Bearcat
Ohh, are they both 1911's? :shock:

Reason for not wanting it to be a price discussion, is one
And the other is that I can afford the Kimber (even high end ones), but I don't know if I want it.

And I kind of got a thing for Ruger.

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
I despise the Swartz firing pin safety the Kimber utilizes. I don't necessarily mind a firing pin safety, I just don't like the Swartz system. I like the Colt series 80 system better.

'Course it's a moot point with the Ruger. Don't need it, don't want it. ;)

Kimber's base Custom II is worth its price. More expensive models - just window dressing.

Not a single one of my Kimbers (I've owned 14 over the years) did anything the Ruger couldn't do. In fact, the Ruger did things that a number of the Kimbers couldn't. Like run reliably with a plethora of different loadings without a silly break in period. Like not having so tight a chamber that it'll run with 230 LRN all day long.

Not a single one of my Kimbers was more accurate. In fact, the Ruger beat most of them in that area.

I'm not bashing Kimber, that's just my experience and opinion. They're fine guns. I'm just happier with the Ruger.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Skalkaho Slim said:
I despise the Swartz firing pin safety the Kimber utilizes. I don't necessarily mind a firing pin safety, I just don't like the Swartz system.
You left out one little detail . . . . . .
"on some models"
There are many Kimbers with no FPS.

Phoenix too

Blackhawk
Peter! Are you Swedish?! In Sweden? Our daughter was there some years ago, for about three months, studying on a fellowship.

PS: I like my Ruger 1911, but I have no real experience with others.

MAC702

Single-Sixer
I carry a Kimber everyday. I bought it a couple years before Ruger announced the SR1911. If it had been available, I'd have bought it then, at half the price.

I have played with a Ruger recently. It has a superior trigger than the Kimber, thanks to the Series 70 design with the titanium firing pin versus the firing pin block on the Kimber II series.

Tweety Bird

Single-Sixer
My newest Kimber (Super Carry Pro) has no Schwartz pin FPS. My Custom II and my Tactical Pro do. My Gold Cup and my GSG 1911-22 both have the Series 80 FPS. My RIA has none of all that.

Frankly, I don't care whether they have the FPS or not; they all function perfectly for me every time I ask 'em to do so. The only change I've done to any of them was to remove the magazine disconnect from the GSG.

bczrx

Single-Sixer
Skalkaho Slim said:
I despise the Swartz firing pin safety the Kimber utilizes. I don't necessarily mind a firing pin safety, I just don't like the Swartz system. I like the Colt series 80 system better.

I am not trying to start any conflicts, but why do you despise the Swartz but like the series 80 system better?

I have 1911s with and without the Swartz, but I have no series 80 experience for comparisons of the two FPS systems.

Again, I am genuinely curious. I am not trying to troll or sucker anyone into an arguement.

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
The Swartz depends on the grip safety rather than the trigger to disengage the FPS. Timing within the components has to be just right or severe peening of the firing pin can occur.

Also, if one does not have the perfect grip whilst drawing in a stressful situation and does not engage the GS enough to depress the FPS plunger, but enough to drop the hammer, all one gets is a resounding "click" rather than a bang.

Some folks don't like the Series 80 style as they feel it interferes with a light trigger pull. I've never really been able to tell the difference. 'Course I don't like sub-4# trigger pulls.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I think a more interesting comparison might be one of the new Colt 70 Series which will hurt one to about $1K or more and an SR1911. I have owned a bunch of Kimbers and still own a couple. They are just way overpriced for what you get. Years ago I bought a Grand Raptor. Nice looking pisol although the ouch was about $1.1K. Pretty, but never that accurate. A couple weeks ago I bought one of the new Colt GCNMs with the round top. Again $1.1K, but the Colt is fantastic. Yes it is also a range gun and not as pretty as the Kimber, but puts the lead where you want it if you are good.

montegomx70

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
peterw said:

How can you 'disregard price' in your inquiry ?

The SR1911 is an entry level 1911 ... Kimber makes all levels of 1911's, including some 'supposed' very high end guns.

I don't even like MIMbers, but for equivalent (priced) guns ... I'd pick the Ruger .... If you asked me between the SR1911 and any gun in the MIMber line-up .... there is no question that I would pick a higher end MIMber .... and then I'd sell it and buy a Springfield or a Colt.

REV

MIMBERS........that always makes me laugh, :lol: :lol: