SR1911 Breach Face J-cut issue?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
Claimed it was your ammo? Seriously?!

How the hell is that supposed to be? What, like the ammo came that way?

I'm glad they fixed it, but I'm constantly amazed by the ineptitude of manufacturers these days. It's too bad firearm manufacturers don't hire people who actually have a passion for guns and know what the hell they're talking about.

Wickedgt

Bearcat
Yeah, they actually recommended I change the type of ammo I use. I think it is a canned response so they will not have to "admit" there was an QA issue during a particular phase of assembly. The bottom line is that they fixed the problem and I have my gun back. It is, far and away, my favorite gun to shoot. Smooth as butter and accurate as hell! As noted in the pic above.

Nice to finally have a sweet 1911 in my arsenal.

TONY357

Bearcat
I have a 9mm that does the same thing, i have reloaded casings over 9 times it is annoying though because the outer rim becomes oval and it will rock on the base.. makes you think you have a primer that is not seated all the way..

OnTheSide

Bearcat
Nice shooting Chief. I don't have such a steady hand these days. Glad to hear it's fixed, but like Slim, I'm dismayed at the Ruger rep's alibi.

kevin seyer

Single-Sixer
i had the same issue with mine plus the grip safety didn't work. sent it back in and all is fixed no charge.
Kevin

Wheelgun

Bearcat
Wickedgt said:
.... From what I've gathered from around the net, I think it was just a small portion of SR1911 slides that were released with this machining flaw.

That sort of thing occurs when a machine operator changes the end mill that makes that cut. It happens when the new end mill is 'set' too short and isn't compensated for by making an offset change in the CNC milling machine prior to running the first part with the new end mill. A good machinist wouldn't let a part like that go on to the next operation. He or she would re-run that part after making the offset change in his machine.

What it really boils down to is that Ruger doesn't have true production machinists anymore. They couldn't make the kind of profit they're now enjoying if they had to pay people that knew how to keep from sending parts like that down the line...
:roll:

hpman66

Hunter
I was in a gun shop that had three new SR 1911s that they had just got in. Because I had just read this post, I examined all three. Two of the three pistols had the same condition(not as bad) as depicited in the pictures posted earlier. The third SR 1911 had been milled correctly and the cut was almost unperceivable/imperceptible.

kscott

Single-Sixer
I've been away from here far too long. Been busy with school, I guess, but had the same issue with mine and sent it back a couple months ago. I know at least 2 other people that have had the same issue. All of ours have been resolved, but one guy said his came back with a scratch (small gouge) on the dust cover that wasn't there before.

hpman66

Hunter
kscott said:
I've been away from here far too long. Been busy with school, I guess, but had the same issue with mine and sent it back a couple months ago. I know at least 2 other people that have had the same issue. All of ours have been resolved, but one guy said his came back with a scratch (small gouge) on the dust cover that wasn't there before.

Dust cover? I had to Google that one. I guess it is the portion underneath the slide and frame that covers the recoil spring and guide. Learn something new every day(even though the 1911 is over 100yrs old :D ):

WEB:
https://www.google.com/search?sourc...lz=1T4ADFA_enUS378US378&q=1911,45,+dust+cover

PICS:
https://www.google.com/images?sourc...lz=1T4ADFA_enUS378US378&q=1911,45,+dust+cover

kscott

Single-Sixer
Yep. Sure is. Basically the part of the frame forward of the trigger guard where the safety notice is. Hey, if you're not still learning, you're doing something wrong. haha

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
My SR1911 was making marks on the fired cases, i smoothed that area of slide with a small file and it took care of the problem.

harcypervin

Bearcat
I've noticed the same issue on mine, although it's not as bad as the OP's, it is there. Will Ruger correct this for a 2nd owner? (I bought it used from a gun-store)

Wickedgt

Bearcat
They should take care of it. Just call them and tell them what your issue is and obtain an RMA# and send it in. I wouldn't disclose your are the second owner jus t to be safe. Ruger stands behind their guns!

I will say this though, Unless you plan on reloading your spent casings, it's really not a big deal. It is fairly common among all 1911 manufacturers. Mine was pretty bad and I decided to send it in.

Hope this helps. BTW, how much did you pick yours up for, second hand?

Rick

harcypervin

Bearcat
Thanks. I may just deal with it myself. It's an interesting deal actually. Apparently one of the shop regular buys two of everything because he doesn't like letting his wife shoot his guns....anyway, she get's to try each new one, and if she doesn't like it, he returns it. So, I got it for $600 with what I'm assuming to be 20-50 rounds through it.

He returned it with two of the 8 round magazines instead of one each of the 7 and 8 rounders, and kept the range bag. All in all, I thought I got a decent deal.

harcypervin

Bearcat
Thanks. I had it out last weekend and it ran perfectly. Although I don't put it in the same class, the owner of the Colt Gold Cup kept saying how much more he liked the Ruger...That Colt is a beautiful gun, even though it's older. We were shooting glass bottles at 40-50 feet at his backyard range. I'm loving it so far, although I would like to add some texture to the front strap, get some more interesting grips and maybe even change up the backstrap/magwell. I will say that the accuracy is great.

2013-02-15%2019.52.53.jpg

snowman.jpg

dead%20snowman.jpg

any ruger

Blackhawk
harcypervin, I put what is called non-skid on my front strap . It comes on a roll and has a paper backing you peel off and it will then stick to your frame . Its used on trailers and places where the surface gets slipery when wet.

harcypervin

Bearcat
Great idea, I've seen that done, I've also seen skateboard deck tape used. I don't think it's 100% necessary, but I do like the look of it

Latest posts