SR 1911 9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chowser51

Bearcat
Cool. I'll report once I get mine in. We have a range at work so I'll have time to test. I'll start the factory mags with only seven rounds loaded to test function. I already have a CMC 10 round mag that I was given to try out as well. I'll try to figure out the model number for the magazine when I test it.

Just getting into 1911s so this is new to me. My exgirlfriend and my kids got me a SIG 1911 Ultra in .45 for my birthday last week and so far it's worked with the factory magazines, Wilson magazines and MecGar magazines.

I've always wanted a 1911 in 9mm so I decided to give the Ruger a shot. I almost went for a Springfield EMP 4 but I didn't want to have to deal with proprietary parts or mags and I eventually want to suppress the Ruger.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Good deal. We'll get through this one way or another even if we have to compare notes. Right now all I have are the 2 factory magazines for it. Well that's a lie they are with the gun in Prescott. Midway has the Wilson mags for it. I will want to get at least a few more mags for it eventually but I want to see if Ruger can get this mag issue resolved. I have to agree with B.I.A. if only 7 or 8 rnds were loaded in these 9 rnd magazines I don't think we'd be seeing the issues we are.
I'd like to have one of the Sig 1911's. I have a few Sigs and they are probably my favorite semi autos.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
BrotherInArms said:
mohavesam said:
They are aware. In fact the 9mm was on recall for magazine issue s the first month.
Cite, please?

I just searched, fairly intensively, and checked Ruger's Recall and Safety Announcement page, and have found no indication of a recall on the SR1911 9mm LW "Commander".

- SR Procurement Manager (he lurks about here. And owes me lunch). My response was "...why couldn't engineering make the design work around a supplier's existing off-the-shelf magazine, if that was the intended design part?" Then we ordered another Elijah Craig w/one cube. Can't tell you why the recall wasn't on the interweb for you. I'm sure they're perfect now and customers have not contacted the Plant Manager directly if ongoing problems are real.

Bearcat

Blackhawk
mohavesam said:
BrotherInArms said:
mohavesam said:
They are aware. In fact the 9mm was on recall for magazine issue s the first month.
Cite, please?

I just searched, fairly intensively, and checked Ruger's Recall and Safety Announcement page, and have found no indication of a recall on the SR1911 9mm LW "Commander".

- SR Procurement Manager (he lurks about here. And owes me lunch). My response was "...why couldn't engineering make the design work around a supplier's existing off-the-shelf magazine, if that was the intended design part?" Then we ordered another Elijah Craig w/one cube. Can't tell you why the recall wasn't on the interweb for you. I'm sure they're perfect now and customers have not contacted the Plant Manager directly if ongoing problems are real.

They had similar issues with a number of the early .45 ACP mags for the original SR1911s....There is a thread on that somewhere. I had to send back two early "Checkmate" mags. The replacement ones work fine most of the time. But the Chip McCormick "shooting star" mags are the only ones that I really trust 100% of the time.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I just got a email notice from Fed Ex .
My gun is scheduled to ship today 8/15 and I arrive here by 8:00 PM Wed the 17th. Fed Ex generally comes early so I expect it by noon. I'll report back after I see what all they did.

chowser51

Bearcat
My gun got here by FedEx on Sunday. Since it's not due at the FFL till Tuesday, it just sat at the depot all day today.
:x
So maybe I'll get it tomorrow if they deliver early and my FFL calls me.
I'm ready to shoot this thing :) I'm due back at work Wednesday night and I already told my boss I'll be on the range for a bit testing a gun.

Danno

Bearcat
Just purchased the SR1911 9mm today. Frankly I've been lusting for a 1911 in this caliber for awhile. And the reviews for this one seem generally very positive. Anxious to get it to the range but that won't come til the weekend. Will see if there are any mag issues then.

In the meantime, I've field stripped and cleaned up the residue from its test fire. Not bad and a little but not much in the way of shavings and stuff from manufacturing. Did appear very dry. Generally, I'm very pleased with the construction. This is my fourth Ruger, but first 1911. All have been well built, robust and fine shooters.

I have to say, this is my first 1911 and I think I was obsessively careful so as not to add the idiot scratch right off the bat. I'll probably break it down several more times before I get to shoot it.

Love the feel of the pistol and the looks! Will let you all know how she shoots.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I'm anxious to hear how it goes when you guys get them to the range.
Hopefully whatever magazine issues we've been seeing has been corrected by the time your guns shipped. B.I.A. beat me to asking if you loaded the magazines up yet.

Chowster51 that's the hardest part waiting. I'm surprised mine is already on the way back.

Danno you will love the 1911 platform.
I've had several over the years I wish I had kept. This 9mm makes my 4th SR1911's. I've seen allot of 1911's with the Idiot scratch. I hate to admit it many years ago I put a idiot scratch on a old Series 70 I had. It only takes once and you learn pretty fast.
When I cleaned mine for the first time it wasn't very dirty and I didn't find any shavings or chips.
What worries me my gun didn't have any scratches or marks when I shipped it back. I hope it comes back in the same condition. I'll know tomorrow.

Danno

Bearcat
Bro and RedHawk....I have not loaded mags yet. But have noticed the springs are pretty stiff. I'm not expecting it's gonna be easy to get nine rounds in them. But full speed ahead....fingers be damned.

I'll probably field strip it again tonite. Just to get used to it and to have a reason to fondle it until I can get it to the range.

By the way, will other 1911 9mm mags - say from Colt - work? Both 8 and 9 rounders?

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Danno said:
Bro and RedHawk....I have not loaded mags yet. But have noticed the springs are pretty stiff. I'm not expecting it's gonna be easy to get nine rounds in them. But full speed ahead....fingers be damned.

I'll probably field strip it again tonite. Just to get used to it and to have a reason to fondle it until I can get it to the range.

By the way, will other 1911 9mm mags - say from Colt - work? Both 8 and 9 rounders?

Let us know when you get them loaded. A Uplula makes it a easy task. They aren't very expensive and well worth the money especially if you plan on allot of range time.

I know it doesn't take much of an excuse to want to fondle your new toy. Hey go for it.

Your question about other 1911 9mm mags working in the Ruger. I'm about 99% sure they will as long as they aren't for the Colt Officers model which have shorter grip frames. If you can get the 9 rnds in it let it sit for a few days and that will probably make it easier loading. I know the 4 magazines I had came with very stiff springs.
I'll be looking forward to a range report when you take it out.

I stepped outside just before noon and as I walked in the front door Fed Ex was leaving me a message. My lead throwing device is on schedule and will be here tomorrow. They wanted to make sure someone over 21 will be here to sign for it. Hopefully it's good to go.

chowser51

Bearcat
I think any regular 1911 9mm magazines will work. Not the ones for the Springfield EMP since that's a reduced size pistol.

I picked mine up today. Fit and finish looks fine. I had no issues loading the magazines by hand. I cycled the mags twice by hand and had no issues. I'll shoot this thing tomorrow night and report back. I think we only have 147gr FMJ and 124gr+P JHP at work so that's what I'll be testing with.

The Chip McCormick 10 round mag sticks out at the bottom a little. Same issue I had with my Wilsons and MecGars on my SIG 1911 Ultra in .45.

Taking it apart now to clean and lube. The recoil spring is very light? Anyone think it should be a little heavier?

IMG_1898.jpg

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Chowser51 I guess we have identical twins. Smart move checking it and loading the magazines. The recoil spring does feel a little light but I'm also used the spring in my 45ACP SR1911's. I'm sure Ruger tested them with different weight springs. As long as it functions right and it's not slamming the slide we should be good to go.

I got mine back this afternoon around 4:00 PM. It was a long day waiting. I was afraid to even go in the basement thinking I might miss the Fed Ex driver.

The invoice or work order says;

Items Replaced 2-9 round magazines.
Items repaired N/A.
After repair, Pistol was function fired 45 rounds of Black Hills 115gr FMJ without malfunction.

Apparently there was other problems with the replacement magazines again, I know they wouldn't have replaced them for a 2nd time if there wasn't anything wrong with them. This makes magazines 5 & 6 I have now. They enclosed a sticker saying that they did a courtesy wipe down but it was shipped not-lubricated. When the wife goes to bed :roll: I'll slip down to my gun room, clean it good and lubricate it.

I was looking on Midway's site and they have several different 1911 9mm mags. I'm not sure when I'll get back to the range to run it through it's paces again. I'm going to try it first then if there's still problems I'll get a couple different magazines for it.
When I get it back out I'll give another range report.

Danno

Bearcat
So the first thing I did was peel those awful yellow warning stickers off each mag.

Loaded both mags with 9 rounds. Really not too bad, just had to fight the last two rounds. Guess I've done enough with my S&W single stacks to have a good idea. Hope they loosen up a bit.

Still aiming for a Saturday range visit to try it out. Will share my experience and look forward to reading about yours!

chowser51

Bearcat
I noticed with the factory mags the next round sits loose and a little forward after chambering the first round. I loaded it and dropped the mag to top off and a round fell out. It happened with both factory mags. The CMC mag didn't exhibit the problem.

I'm going to try and shoot it soon but we've had three different car jackings already tonight. I have another guy willing to shoot it as well so if I have any issues he will see if he has issues.

This is how I broke in my first 1911 in .45. I had a whole shift for range and let four other officers shoot my .45 while waiting for the next person. We put over 600 rounds through that gun in one day. Not going to happen with the Ruger since I only have three mags (I have eight for the .45). If the CMC mag works fine tonight, I'll buy two more.

chowser51

Bearcat
Well we were low on ammo. There was only 39 rounds of Winchester 147gr FMJ so I grabbed a 50 round box of Winchester Ranger 124gr +P JHP.

Factory mags were loaded to max once with FMJ and once with JHP. Both functioned perfectly.

The 10 round Chip McCormick mag. Not so good. Had failures to feed with FMJ and JHP. I tried until I ran out of ammo.
I cleaned and lubed the gun and grabbed some dummy rounds when I left the range.

I loaded the CMC mag up with some dummy rounds and hand cycled them. It worked just fine. Did it a few times and had no issues.

Dummy rounds were round nose. The Winchester FMJ and JHP were sort of flat points. I have a bunch of 147gr round nosed FMJ at home. I'll try again this weekend with that ammo. I think I have some 147gr JHP at home as well. I don't have any 115gr to try out. Wondering if that flat point is an issue for the CMC mag.

Also dug through our parts bin. There was a Wilson magwell in there along with a nice set pf Hogue wood grips. I'll have to leave a note of thanks for whoever donated it. We have a donation box on our range. Anything someone doesn't want, they toss it in there in case someone else can use it (We let four other departments use our range).

I'll report back after the weekend. My 8 round .45 CMC mag works perfectly so I'm wondering if my 9mm CMC mag is bad.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Danno said:
So the first thing I did was peel those awful yellow warning stickers off each mag.

Loaded both mags with 9 rounds. Really not too bad, just had to fight the last two rounds. Guess I've done enough with my S&W single stacks to have a good idea. Hope they loosen up a bit.

Still aiming for a Saturday range visit to try it out. Will share my experience and look forward to reading about yours!

Oh come on those orange/yellow stickers on the magazines give them some class. The two they shipped with my gun yesterday already had them removed. What a disappointment that was. I'm sure they will loosen up some. First time I loaded mine by hand the last couple rounds took some effort. Leave them loaded for a few days and check them.
I hope you get to fire it on Saturday. I'm not sure when I'll get back to the range. When I do I'll give a range report.

I do feel a little better about it after loading the magazines then trying them in my gun. Knock on wood they don't seem to have the issues the first 4 mags did.

rugerdczr

Blackhawk
I have the SR1911 9mm and it's the best shooter 9mm I own very accurate and smooth ,Magazines are hard to load the last round but that's the way the 3- 10 round Chip McCormick mags load also. I put around 600 rounds thru it with two jams which I was using a mix bag of different ammo at the time

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
chowser51 said:
Well we were low on ammo. There was only 39 rounds of Winchester 147gr FMJ so I grabbed a 50 round box of Winchester Ranger 124gr +P JHP.

Factory mags were loaded to max once with FMJ and once with JHP. Both functioned perfectly.

The 10 round Chip McCormick mag. Not so good. Had failures to feed with FMJ and JHP. I tried until I ran out of ammo.
I cleaned and lubed the gun and grabbed some dummy rounds when I left the range.

I loaded the CMC mag up with some dummy rounds and hand cycled them. It worked just fine. Did it a few times and had no issues.

Dummy rounds were round nose. The Winchester FMJ and JHP were sort of flat points. I have a bunch of 147gr round nosed FMJ at home. I'll try again this weekend with that ammo. I think I have some 147gr JHP at home as well. I don't have any 115gr to try out. Wondering if that flat point is an issue for the CMC mag.

Also dug through our parts bin. There was a Wilson magwell in there along with a nice set pf Hogue wood grips. I'll have to leave a note of thanks for whoever donated it. We have a donation box on our range. Anything someone doesn't want, they toss it in there in case someone else can use it (We let four other departments use our range).

I'll report back after the weekend. My 8 round .45 CMC mag works perfectly so I'm wondering if my 9mm CMC mag is bad.

Sounds like you have plenty of access to your range

I have early LCP that sat in the safe for 4 or 5 years. I bought it cleaned it and put it away. A few months ago I took it to the range for the first time. I had that Winchester 380 ammo FMJ. When I bought that crappy ammo and even took it to the range I didn't realize it was that flat point crap. It caused that little LCP problems. Several would feed but wouldn't let it go into full battery. Once that garbage is gone there won't be anymore of it.
Shooting that FP Winchester I wouldn't be to quick to blame your gun. I'm sure that LCP will be fine with RN FMJ or JHP's. I polished the feed ramp and worked the slide several times. That's another one I need to run through the paces.
I don't plan on ever carrying this 9mm 1911 but I still want it 100% reliable. If I'm going to carry a 1911 it will be with the 45 ACP.
I would like to read some reports of what magazines work well in these Ruger's . As for the hard loading by hand that is a slight inconvenience. The good thing I have my Uplula right there usually.

If Ruger really did fire the 45 rnds they claim then my gun only has maybe a little over 115 -120 rnds. With that being said it's not even broken in yet.

Rugerdczr. The little I have fired mine it does seem pretty accurate. I appreciate the info about the different magazines. I think if we can find decent magazines our problems will disappear.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
chowser51 said:
I noticed with the factory mags the next round sits loose and a little forward after chambering the first round. I loaded it and dropped the mag to top off and a round fell out. It happened with both factory mags. The CMC mag didn't exhibit the problem.
That's probably the same thing mine was doing. When it fed the chamber a 2nd round came completely out of the magazine and was loose in the mag well. The little I tried it last night these replacement magazines aren't doing that. I only did it a few times. I'm not real comfortable chambering live rounds inside the house.