Speed Six Firing Pin *UPDATE*

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Geezer

Single-Sixer
Who can replace a firing pin in my Speed Six for me? I don't want to return it to Ruger because it seems that they want to keep all Six series revolvers and replace them with GP100's.
I have a firing pin and spring, I just don't have the know-how to replace them.

flatgate

Hawkeye
ruger.gif

Kuhnhausen has you covered. LINK

I've not inspected one very closely but would assume the firing pins are retained exactly the same way that appears on Ruger's Single Action series.

JMHO,

flatgate

flatgate

Hawkeye
Drive the firing pin assembly out of the receiver from "outside to inside". That is from the hammer well toward the barrel. It's in there kinda tight.
Reinstall via a long punch down through the barrel. The only "crux" to the procedure is getting the FP bushing retainer pin back in place "perfectly" such that its' contour matches the rounded surface of the cylinder frame.
I'd "scratch" a little "match mark" on the FP bushing and the breech so it goes back together EXACTLY the way it was.

Patience is a good thing.....

:D

flatgate

Geezer said:
Who can replace a firing pin in my Speed Six for me? I don't want to return it to Ruger because it seems that they want to keep all Six series revolvers and replace them with GP100's.
I have a firing pin and spring, I just don't have the know-how to replace them.

Why do they want to keep the Six Series revolvers and replace them with something else?

Geezer

Single-Sixer
OK, I returned the Six to Ruger for repair. They kept it a couple of weeks and then told me that it couldn't be repaired. They offered me a SP101 for the bargain of $312 and my Speed Six. I told them to return it to me.

All this thing needs is a firing pin. It ain't ready for the scrap heap just yet.

I have a new firing pin and rebound spring. The bushing pin is out. I have tapped on the firing pin from the hammer side and I can't get the bushing to budge. Can anyone offer any help or suggestions on how to remove the bushing and pin?

JLarsson

Single-Sixer
I'm no smith, but if I were attempting that job (may have to at some point), I'd put some penetrating oil in the bushing pin hole and around the perimeter of the bushing from the cylinder side. Then I'd get a punch that is as close to the same diameter as the rear of the firing pin, clamp the revolver frame in my vise using wood or plastic jaws, and start tapping.

Maybe Ruger got to the same point you're at and didn't get anywhere with it, either.

DGW1949

Hunter
Back in the old days, I woulda suggested trying an .89 can of freon, a can-tapper, and a short length of yellow hose because I knew from experience that freezing a pressed-fit bushing can/will draw it up enough that it can be more-easily removed.

Aint suggesting that anyone do anything to break any of our modern-day eco-laws.....

...........Just sayin'.

DGW

Catman

Bearcat
Geezer I had to do this on a GP100 a couple of weeks ago. to get the firing pin and bushing out you need to "tap" it rather fimly. I would sugest a drift punch close to the same diamiter as the firing pin opening. Going back in with the retaining pin will be the hard part for a blued gun. On a stainless I bought a new one, filed ad sanded to match the finish. Good luck and like others said go slow.