SP101 22 Spring Kit and hammer question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dawgmary

Bearcat
I was hoping others could give me a website/part model number for the spring replacement kit in the sp101 22 (model 5765, Cat # KSP-242-8). I have heard all about the Wolf Springs and when I went to their site, I saw the note below.

Important Note:
Due to changes in this gun by the manufacturer, the spring below will not function in SP101 .22 caliber rimfire models manufactured during and after 2011.

I have found the Sp101 22 has a trigger that in no way compares to my Security Six, Single-Ten, Single-Six. To say it is gritty or stiff is an understatement. I should elaborate and say the trigger is not much of an issue for me, but for my wife pulling the trigger it is a non-event. Also, shooting this gun in single action is not much better as the spring is sooooo heavy (so different than Single Ten/Six). For some background information on my wife, she lost her dominant right hand via amputation to cancer some years back. Being limited to single handed loading and shooting has ended us up here today. She loves the Single Ten and Single Six triggers, but single handed loading/unloading is tedious. She shoots her Ruger 22/45 often, but misfires and jams create issues if I am not around. So in my infinite wisdom, I bought the SP101 for her. As we sit here today, she has a $500 paper weight. Any thoughts and/or guidance would be GREATLY appreciated.

I too mentioned something about the hammer in the subject heading as well. Once this gun is cocked for single action shooting, I notice a great deal of play in the hammer. Moderate pressure on the hammer moves it back and forth a noticeable amount. This is something I do not see on my Security Six, Single-Ten, Single-Six. We absolutely love all of our Ruger handguns and rifles, but this gun has me scratching my head. Thank you in advance for all the help!!

paochow

Bearcat
http://www.teslamap.com/public/sp101_trigger_job/index.html

Use the above guide and the Wolff spring kit, and the 12# hammer spring should work (8# rebound). If you experience light strikes, you can use a stock SP101 spring from the 357 model as it is lighter than the .22 SP101 spring. Will give you a very nice trigger if you take your time and do everything properly.

paochow

Bearcat
I have the standard SP101 kit in my 2012 SP101 .22 and it said the same thing when I bought it. I think that Wolff's concern is that the hammer springs are too light to reliably ignite the .22 ammo, unless you do a polish job when installing it. If you just put in the spring kit you will have a bunch of FTF.

Dawgmary

Bearcat
Am I polishing according to the Tesla article? What do I use for polishing? Might you have part # for the .357 spring and is the sku # 17113 the actual Wolf kit I need to buy?