SP 101, ejector rod?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DB30

Blackhawk
Have a 570 prefix .22 SP101 6 shot that has not been fired much until recently. It shoots well and is accurate but noticed that the ejector rod has become floppy. Still works but wondered if this typical. Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks,
DB

NikA

Buckeye
How floppy? All Ruger ejector rods I've encountered are pinned instead of threading as S&W rods do. As a result, they all have a little play in them. If it's not rubbing in a concerning way and it functions, I would leave it be.

woodsy

Blackhawk
Mine was a little "floppy" the day it was born. That's about 1000 rounds ago, and nothing has gotten worse, or showed any effects whatsoever.

trapperon

Blackhawk
My sp ejector rods are floppy as well--especially as compared to a smith revolver. If the cylinder closes fine without the ejector rod hitting the shroud I think all is fine.

Ron

If you look at your parts breakdown of the SP101 you will see why it is "floppy". When Ruger designed the GP100 and the SP101, the ejector rod does not screw into the ejector like the Six series did (or S&W or Colts). The ejector rod in the GP and SP was not made to help lock the cylinder in place (again like it was on the Six series). The cylinder and crane are locked in place differently than the old models and the ejector rod doesn't need to be screwed into the ejector. They all will "flop around" to some degree.

DB30

Blackhawk
Yes,
Thank you all for the replies but noticed upon disassembly that the rear edge/lip has been worn out of round... ordered a new one.
hpISaRLt.jpg

Regards,
DB