Small of the Back Carry

Help Support Ruger Forum:

axisofoil

Single-Sixer
conceals well for gangstas and such.

opinions on comfort/practicality/etc are just that, opinions. And well, everybody's is a little different.

supposedly it's a little more dangerous.

Don't want to waste money to try it? buy a holster that can be worn at any place iwb like the comptac minotaur/spartan, or anywhere open like most belt-attachment ones and some paddles. place as you see fit. or try it out via mexican-carry.

cruzerlou

Buckeye
I had a Taurus PT908 that came with a S.O.T.B. holster and I found for my self that it was uncomfortable,inaccessible and just didn't like it .now I must admit that I've been carrying strong side I.W.B. behind the hip ,the old FBI style for almost 30 years so anything else feels just wrong to me .I do have several hi quality O.W.B. holsters for my carry guns and a Galco Miami Classic II shoulder rig for my 1911 that I use on rare occasions .Like Axfoil sais ,If it were me I'd go to my LGS and try a few diffrent makes and modes of carry .The key to carrying consealed is this: that it's comfortable and you can draw FAST and of course that it hides the gun well .Everyboby is diffrent ,what works for me may not work for you .I'm not cutting on Axfoil here ,but I'd stay away from the "Mexicain"[no holster ]mode of carry .depending on what gun you carry and the saftey system on it ,it can be really dangrous .I tried it a few times when I first started carrying my 1911 and not only was it uncomfortable but I had the gun slide down my pants leg while crossing the street at a fast walk .No N.D. but it did put a scratch or two on my beloved Kimber which is my off duty gun .My duty gun is a Glock Gen 4 22 and that one just flat out hurts to carry that way .I have a Insight Tech .M-3 light attached to that gun and no one makes an I.W.,B. holster that will allow you to carry the gun with the light on it so I made my own out of one of those no name "Tactail" holsters you can get at the gun shows .It ain't pertty but it works like a champ and it's comfortable to boot .Looks like hell but hides the gun real well under a one size over t-shirt or a dress shirt over a t -shirt and is super fast to draw from.Here's a pic.
Lou
LousPics605.jpg

LousPics606.jpg

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
I'm rather fond of the S.O.B. mode of carry. Some guys say it's uncomfortable, unsafe, or both. If it works for you, I'd say, by all means go for it. Besides, how a man decides to carry his gun is his own business.

A.W.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
For you that carry SOB, do you find it as fast to draw as other more popular concealed carry locations? Having a weapon is better than no weapon but speed is important too.

It seems the main concern about SOB is falling (on ice?) and hurting your back.

Rockimook

Bearcat
In my opinion its pretty comfortable and one of the easiest ways to conceal as long as you don't have plans on sitting down. It sucks sitting down. But the Remora holsters are a pretty inexpensive way to try different options of carry.

Rockimook

Bearcat
ArmedinAZ said:
For you that carry SOB, do you find it as fast to draw as other more popular concealed carry locations? Having a weapon is better than no weapon but speed is important too.

It seems the main concern about SOB is falling (on ice?) and hurting your back.

The draw is fine, the swing around your body is what makes it a tad bit slower. I think it's less obvious if confronted by an attacker though. You can make it seem like you are reaching for a wallet if you play it right. And I think the concern of falling could be a problem in most carry locations.

Verndog

Blackhawk
Rockimook said:
In my opinion its pretty comfortable and one of the easiest ways to conceal as long as you don't have plans on sitting down. It sucks sitting down. But the Remora holsters are a pretty inexpensive way to try different options of carry.

I would agree. I carry SOB often with the Remora holster and find it quite comfortable with SR9c and SP101. Nice thing about the Remora besides being comfortable is trying any location you want and it seems to work. Another + with SOB carry is if you have pants that are on the snug side there is more room to be had there. If I'm going to be traveling much I'll move to console then back.

Wysiwyg101

Bearcat
When I was doing my initial research into owning and possibly carrying a handgun, my preferred way to carry was going to be the small of the back way. As I researched more and more into it however, my personal belief changed to that of the more practical and traditional 3 O'Clock position. What changed my mind was a couple of websites that mentioned that if you ever fell backwards for any reason the possibility exists that having that hard shape pressed into your back could cause some sort of permanent spinal injury. The second thing that really motivated me involved the draw movement from the small of your back. Even though we train to draw and have our finger placed on the side of the weapon until the muzzle has arrived on target, the prevailing wisdom says that most likely we will develop tunnel vision on our target and draw with our finger entering the trigger well before our draw is complete. Since the gun is crossing over major portions of our anatomy during most of the initial draw, we could actually destroy kidneys, hips, stomach, etc in our moment of crisis.

I know, most people are going to say, "That couldn't happen to me because I'm smarter, I train more, I'm better than that" or whatever. For me, I just didn't want to take that chance. It's up to you though. Good luck.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Wysiwyg101 said:
When I was doing my initial research into owning and possibly carrying a handgun, my preferred way to carry was going to be the small of the back way. As I researched more and more into it however, my personal belief changed to that of the more practical and traditional 3 O'Clock position. What changed my mind was a couple of websites that mentioned that if you ever fell backwards for any reason the possibility exists that having that hard shape pressed into your back could cause some sort of permanent spinal injury. The second thing that really motivated me involved the draw movement from the small of your back. Even though we train to draw and have our finger placed on the side of the weapon until the muzzle has arrived on target, the prevailing wisdom says that most likely we will develop tunnel vision on our target and draw with our finger entering the trigger well before our draw is complete. Since the gun is crossing over major portions of our anatomy during most of the initial draw, we could actually destroy kidneys, hips, stomach, etc in our moment of crisis.

I know, most people are going to say, "That couldn't happen to me because I'm smarter, I train more, I'm better than that" or whatever. For me, I just didn't want to take that chance. It's up to you though. Good luck.

A researched and well thought out decision. I never gave any thought to sweeping your own body on the draw. Some quick, informal practice draws seem to show me that the quickest and most natural way to bring the weapon to bear is indeed with the muzzle sweeping you hip inside your hand. There's more complex motion and distance to swing through as well. Thanks for this info, I was interested in the possibility of SOB carry, going to do some more thinking and research before I change anything.

wingman

Single-Sixer
SOB is very uncomfortable when sitting unless of course you move the gun while sitting. That can be problematic too as far as exposing the gun in a sensitive area. It doesn't take much to FU your back so I would check it out before committing, like others have said.

Cape Cod Terry

Single-Sixer
:D I carry my SR9c S.O.B. most of the time, no holster, just tucked into snug fitting jeans.
When you are seated in a car just remove the gun and put it in a convenient place. Just about any holster (except a shoulder holster is tough to use in a seated position). The advantage of having the gun in the center of the back is not only does it conceal better but it can be accessed with the weak hand if the strong hand is injured or grappled by an opponent.
Cape Cod Terry :D

axisofoil

Single-Sixer
Cape Cod Terry said:
:D I carry my SR9c S.O.B. most of the time, no holster, just tucked into snug fitting jeans.
When you are seated in a car just remove the gun and put it in a convenient place. Just about any holster (except a shoulder holster is tough to use in a seated position). The advantage of having the gun in the center of the back is not only does it conceal better but it can be accessed with the weak hand if the strong hand is injured or grappled by an opponent.
Cape Cod Terry :D

I can draw weak-hand from 3:30 just about as well as SOB.

FREEMAN

Bearcat
Thanks again for all the input. Got my Remora Holster today. Man, I love this thing. You can pretty much place this anywhere around the beltline with ease yet it DOES NOT MOVE ON ITS OWN! This one is for my LC9. Just ordered another for my SR9c. SOB will work for me with this holster.

Verndog

Blackhawk
FREEMAN said:
Thanks again for all the input. Got my Remora Holster today. Man, I love this thing. You can pretty much place this anywhere around the beltline with ease yet it DOES NOT MOVE ON ITS OWN! This one is for my LC9. Just ordered another for my SR9c. SOB will work for me with this holster.

Remora is a very handy and good quality comfortable holster. Much of the reason I carry SOB when I do is I cannot carry a weapon at work, and it seems it's in and out all the time. So with the Remora, the whole thing comes out, gun is still protected and back to carry when done with work or business.