Small caliber Blackhawks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eveled

Hawkeye
I wonder if you could have it index to skip a hole each revolution. Then alternate.22lr and .22 mag.

Just random thoughts, I know it wouldn't be cost effective or practical. But I would buy one! Lol.

contender

Ruger Guru
While I find the Blackhawk size a very good fit FOR ME,, and enjoy my .327 Blackhawk etc,, too many would complain about a .22 Blackhawk.

They already say; "The .327 Blackhawk is too big,, too heavy, etc" Just imagine the negativity of a .22 LR in one.

I have a 6-shot Redhawk in .357 Mag. Many say it's too big,, too heavy,, etc. But it's a sweetheart to shoot.

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
While I find the Blackhawk size a very good fit FOR ME,, and enjoy my .327 Blackhawk etc,, too many would complain about a .22 Blackhawk.

They already say; "The .327 Blackhawk is too big,, too heavy, etc" Just imagine the negativity of a .22 LR in one.

I have a 6-shot Redhawk in .357 Mag. Many say it's too big,, too heavy,, etc. But it's a sweetheart to shoot.
Of course, you know that there is a 10 shot GP100, and try to find one,good luck. I've shot one (a friend's) and it was pretty cool.A twelve shooter .22 Blackhawk would appeal simply out of uniqueness. To me, anyway.

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
I somehow got stuck in the Bold Italics mode and don't want to yell so here's the rest of my post.
If the bean counters could somehow be convinced to make a run of many shot 22 LR Blackhawks, it would be limited, and probably slow selling (and illegal in NY, NJ, Mass, and California!) so they would be discontinued after one short run for "lack of demand".
I don't see them being made, but if you do see them announced, because after they are prematurely discontinued they instantly become unobtainium!
🐸

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
I somehow got stuck in the Bold Italics mode and don't want to yell so here's the rest of my post.
If the bean counters could somehow be convinced to make a run of many shot 22 LR Blackhawks, it would be limited, and probably slow selling (and illegal in NY, NJ, Mass, and California!) so they would be discontinued after one short run for "lack of demand".
I don't see them being made, but if you do see them announced, because after they are prematurely discontinued they instantly become unobtainium!
🐸
Not illegal in California, SASS made a sweetheart deal with Ca DOJ,and all single actions are exempt from regulations.
I'd buy at least two, one to shoot and one to appreciate in value!

Redhawk41

Bearcat
Of course, you know that there is a 10 shot GP100, and try to find one,good luck. I've shot one (a friend's) and it was pretty cool.A twelve shooter .22 Blackhawk would appeal simply out of uniqueness. To me, anyway.

I have one of those, too. :cool:
While I personally like the S&W model 17 a bit better, the .22LR GP-100 is a great gun.

IMG_20180116_185318134-lightened-reduced.jpg

BULL'S-EYE

Blackhawk
I agree with the above posts, far too heavy. My Single-Nine and Single-Ten are just right for their cartridges. I like the 30 Carbine with it's slender barrel in the Blackhawk myself...But keep hoping for another run of the 8 shot 327's one day. 🤞

Hondo44

Hawkeye
A mid frame Blackhawk would be a 12 shot and not as heavy. US Firearms made one. A large frame Blackhawk could fit 13.

Advancing two chambers at a time would not be that hard; a modified hand and cyl latch, maybe the latch pin in the hammer as well. I'd have to try it to know for sure.

With an even number of chambers like 6, you'd have to advance the cyl one chamber manually every three shots to shoot the other 3 in-between chambers.

With an uneven number of chambers like 7, after every three shots it would start shooting the inbetween chambers. Or a 9 shot, after every 4 shots.
It would be confusing and you'd have to keep track to know where you were!

Back in the day it was easier to ream 3 chambers in a row for 22 LR and the next 3 for 22 Mag. Much simpler, especially if you marked the chambers on the outside surface of the cyl with a stamp or colored paint dot.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
I'd do not think I'd a problem with a BH sized .22 / .22 mag or .17.

My 7 1/2" Freedom Arms 97 in .17 (3 lb.) is one ounce lighter than my 6 1/2" Blackhawk in .357 (3 lb. 1 oz) and I don't feel it's heavy at all.

Yeah a .22 with its little bore might weigh more than a .357 but tapering and fluting the barrel and cylinder, making it a 10 or more round gun and limiting the barrel length might make it palatable to more shooters.

Star43

Blackhawk
Again, I think of the Buckeye Sports Ruger Black Hawk with the 32 Mag and the 32-20 combo gun back in early 90's. A lot of people liked it but not sure if the sales or lack of sales, put the stop to that run. I was just looking at the old gun mag article when that came out. It sure looked nice, but why would most guys anyway, want that when the Single Six is MORE than adequate for the job ?? I mean if you like it, and you want to buy it, that's fine, but to me it's just a bit overkill, to me anyway.

eveled

Hawkeye
I'd do not think I'd a problem with a BH sized .22 / .22 mag or .17.

My 7 1/2" Freedom Arms 97 in .17 (3 lb.) is one ounce lighter than my 6 1/2" Blackhawk in .357 (3 lb. 1 oz) and I don't feel it's heavy at all.

Yeah a .22 with its little bore might weigh more than a .357 but tapering and fluting the barrel and cylinder, making it a 10 or more round gun and limiting the barrel length might make it palatable to more shooters.
You could also make the cylinder shorter.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Speaking of .327; My 4-5/8" Single-Seven is downright snappy with 100 grain rounds …
I'd own a single seven .327 in a heartbeat if...

The stainless models weren't so darn expensive

If I had room in my loading space for MORE brass, bullets and loaded ammo :)

Lastly, I don't need a quest for 327 Fed Mag brass. Even though I could use shorter .32 brass, that would DOUBLE or even triple the space required to feed the gun.

Funny, I bought a lot (that's variety not quantity) of mixed reloading supplies and amongst all of the bullets and brass was a thousand TMJ Berry's bullets that would make a LOT of .327 ammo.