Signs of VERY EXCESSIVE PRESSURE - Super Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Paul B

Hunter
It would be interesting to see what the powder looks like. it's easy to mistake Bullseye for #2400 and W231 for W296 if you're not paying attention. The definiely looks like a Bullseye mitook for 2400 scenario to me. Use 231 for 296 if you want. Same reults. wrecked gun either way. Come to think ofit? Wasn't there a recall of 2400 a few years back because the cannisters were filled with Bullseye by mistake?
Paul B.

gunslinger

Bearcat
Looks Like a over load to me. Your lucky to be alive. What the powder load specs? I am glad your ok WOW!!!!

gunslinger

Mike Mulligan

Single-Sixer
Paul B said:
It would be interesting to see what the powder looks like. it's easy to mistake Bullseye for #2400 and W231 for W296 if you're not paying attention. The definiely looks like a Bullseye mitook for 2400 scenario to me. Use 231 for 296 if you want. Same reults. wrecked gun either way. Come to think ofit? Wasn't there a recall of 2400 a few years back because the cannisters were filled with Bullseye by mistake?
Paul B.

This along the lines of our thoughts. We're hoping that finding out what the powder charges are will give us the answer.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I sure could use the elevation screw from that Millett sight!

I came upon a couple of sights but neither have elevation screws.

flatgate

Mike Mulligan

Single-Sixer
flatgate said:
I sure could use the elevation screw from that Millett sight!

I came upon a couple of sights but neither have elevation screws.

flatgate

That sight was noticed the first day, so you'll have to wait in line!:lol:

The new owner knows there is interest and I will advise should he decide to part it out.

THE FORENSIC DATA IS STARTING TO COME IN! The former owner was supposed to be using H110. The first case taken apart revealed what appeared to be a reasonable load for H110....... Of the TWO powders in the case neither matched H110, 2400, or Bullseye......probably not the double load some folks were thinking! :shock: More info as we get it.

captainkirk

Blackhawk
Ale-8(1) said:
"Of the TWO powders in the case . . ."

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Aw shucks, didn't Mr. Keith himself (or was it mr Casull) load duplex and triplex loads while developing the big boomers? Something like Bullseye+unique+2400? Not to advocate this now, but it has been done.

Do not try this at home...

Rclark

Hunter
Of the TWO powders in the case neither matched H110, 2400, or Bullseye
And you can probably rule out Trail Boss ;) , Green Dot, Red Dot, or Blue dot :) .

Two powders ... interesting. He certainly found an 'over the top' load!

Bucks Owin

Hunter
captainkirk said:
Aw shucks, didn't Mr. Keith himself (or was it mr Casull) load duplex and triplex loads while developing the big boomers? Something like Bullseye+unique+2400? Not to advocate this now, but it has been done.

Do not try this at home...

Dick Casull did indeed use some imaginative triplex charges in that poor old weak .45LC case while developing the .454 so I've read. Not sure what his "special blend" was, believe a little Bullseye went in first just to get things going... :wink:

By all means, don't try that at home! :shock:

Mike Mulligan

Single-Sixer
I thought we would find a pretty good indicator when we checked the cases. I hadn't thought of an actual deliberate attempt to create a duplex load, but did think that it might have been accidental- perhaps too many types of powder on the bench at the same time and mixing them up or opening that yard sale partial container that you are sure is....... when it's not!

Paul B

Hunter
I don't recall Elmer using several powder in his "duplex" loading. IIRC, he threaded thetube inside the rifle cartridge case so that the powder would be ignited near the base of the bullet rather than near the primer as is commonly done. It's been a long time since I've read his books so i'd have to take another look.
I do remember Casull using Bullseye, Unique and 2400 as a triplex loading though while experimenting with what would become the .454. I have just about all of Elmer Keith's book including severak that have beenout of print for years. Try and find a copy of SIXGUN CARTRIDGES AND LOADS, copyright 1936. No mention of duplex handgun loads in that one. There is no mention of duplex handgun load in SIXGUNS as I just double checked. Elmer did blow up a few guns ussing #80 powder but if he ever did try using several powders, I don't think he ever wrote about it.
Paul B.

Agreed, Elmer's use of the term "duplex" was applied to the use of extension tubes to produce initial primer ignition at the front of the powder column. This is covered pretty well in HELL, I WAS THERE. He applied this to the .50 cal rounds, and some smallish artillery rounds, with some success.

I'm pretty sure he mentions multiple-powder loadings somewhere, but will have to check HIWT and GUN NOTES again, and that's a time-consuming process. And of course, I could be wrong.

;)

Mike Mulligan

Single-Sixer
Paul B said:
I don't recall Elmer using several powder in his "duplex" loading. IIRC, he threaded thetube inside the rifle cartridge case so that the powder would be ignited near the base of the bullet rather than near the primer as is commonly done. It's been a long time since I've read his books so i'd have to take another look.
I do remember Casull using Bullseye, Unique and 2400 as a triplex loading though while experimenting with what would become the .454. I have just about all of Elmer Keith's book including severak that have beenout of print for years. Try and find a copy of SIXGUN CARTRIDGES AND LOADS, copyright 1936. No mention of duplex handgun loads in that one. There is no mention of duplex handgun load in SIXGUNS as I just double checked. Elmer did blow up a few guns ussing #80 powder but if he ever did try using several powders, I don't think he ever wrote about it.
Paul B.

This is along the same lines of information that we are finding/have- Casull being noted for his triplex loading. The weight of the charge was 28.5 grains in our dissected remaining round- plenty high enough with some powders to be this exciting!

revhigh

Hawkeye
Looks OK to me .... just wipe it down and continue shooting ....

REV