Sights on Security Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

meshugunner

Single-Sixer
I picked up a very nice 6" Security Six in SS for a good price. It looks like it's not been shot much. At the range it shot great groups but about 1' high at 10 yds! I had to crank the rear sight down till it bottomed to get the gun shooting close to POA. SA, DA same thing.

I'd appreciate any tips before I tear into this thing or send it back to Ruger.

Precision32

Blackhawk
My 4" in 357 shoots POA at 50 yards. I can hit wheel rims at 200 yards holding over 1/2 the front blade width.

meshugunner

Single-Sixer
These were 148gn WC running about 1260 fps. Should be pretty darn flat. While this is considerably different from a 900 fps 158gn bullet, a foot high @ ten yds is seems a lot to blame on the ammo. It seems strange that a flat trajectory is not within the adjustment range of the sights. After all this is a .357 mag revolver and a Ruger and 1260fps is nowhere near the max, especially for a Ruger. I really ought to be able to zero the sights for my ammo. I will ask Ruger about this if I call them.

I bought this gun used. I doubt it had the factory settings when I got it.

It sounds like the front sight is way too short. I would be interested in seeing a picture (side profile) of the front sights and what year the gun was made (I wonder if someone before you possibly put on a different Ruger front sight that was meant for a different barrel contour). I know that Ruger made a 6" Security Six for the PA State Police and it had a different sight installed per the PSP's direction because they were going to chamber a specific .357 round and only ever use that round.

meshugunner

Single-Sixer
Ron,

I think that must be it. Or at least the solution is a new FS blade. About $5 at Numrich. I also found this, perhaps it's what you were talking about?

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1218200.htm

I might get that one. It has the insert. By eyeball it does look taller than mine. I will post pix later.

IIRC, there are several different heights of front sights, one for the fixed sight guns (Police Service Six and Speed Six) and several for the Security Six depending on when it was made. The one that egunparts (Numrich) has for the PSP (the orange insert) is a taller sight but should fit in the slot on your gun ok (maybe just a little hand fitting). It is definitely a taller sight and that would bring your POI down.

wapiti22

Blackhawk
The Numrich sight does require some fitting but its doable with a file. The hard part is drilling the cross hole for the pin. I installed one on my 4 inch stainless model because the sight is stainless and I like the orange insert.

MarkL_01

Bearcat
This is not a trajectory issue.
If I were having this problem, the first thing I'd try would be to shoot some standard ammunition. 1200fps wadcutter ammo seems a little odd, but if I were going to guess, I'd expect it to shoot lower than 158s, instead of higher.
If more standard loads still show the problem, then I'd consider the front sight.
Good luck, and please let us know what you find.

A side question: would you share the info on the load, at least bullet and powder type? It's a solid WC (bevel-base or double-ended), not hollow-base, right?
Thanks.
-Mark

MarkL_01

Bearcat
ooops. Just noticed that this thread is a few months old.

Were you able to resolve the problem?

-Mark