Security Six ...."S"....Gun....UPDATE 01-25

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chet15

Hawkeye
Scott:
If you send me a PM with the serial number I can add it to the reference.
You must not have a Ruger Reference?
I also have also added another SDA-34 to the reference since the last one was published...150-74629S.

Also, "S" guns aren't cleanup guns. They are guns that were fully manufactured and set aside because of a blemish or because they were used as factory demo's. They may have been shipped later than others, but they are definitely not cleanup guns in the sense of using leftover parts.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
mr.deerstalker said:
Terry,
Funny how yours in a high back 150-60XXX , and this is a higher # low back at 150-75XXX, and there both S guns....hum....and high backs came out after the low backs where made.....I'm thinking this was a late clean up gun.....scott

Who said there was a high back in the 150-60xxx range? Trying to figure that one out.
Chet15

hittman

Staff member
hittman said:
Today I mailed off the $10.00 and letter request on the "S" gun to Ruger. I enclosed with them a begging request to see if they can verify "in writing" that it left the factory as an "S" or when and why it may have been returned and re-issued, etc.

Today the mailman brought me TWO letters from Ruger; in the same envelope along with a usual free instruction manual.

Letter 1.

This is on the beige or tan letterhead I've seen before. It identifies my gun as a "Ruger Police Service-Six" revolver. (It's actually a low-back fixed site gun stamped "Ruger Security Six"). Further, it says my model SDA-34 in caliber 357 Magnum shipped in November 1974. Okay, I thought, this is pretty standard and about what I expected. Then I noticed another piece of paper.

Letter 2.

This letter, hand signed by a lady in the "Records Department" is on white letterhead. The letter states that my "Ruger Police Service-Six" does not contain an "S" as part of the serial number. Rather, the "S" suffix indicates this firearm was sold by Ruger as a factory second ...... it likely had some minor cosmetic imperfection such that it could not be sold as "new".

Great job Ruger people and thank you for going the extra mile to explain in writing what I have.

hittman

Staff member
Oh yeah, Chad nailed it as usual.

Nice having the extra explanation right on their letterhead. Pretty cool.

A few other thoughs, if there so few S guns out there, that means that there
QA gang is doing a great job, or there really not many blemished guns worth saving?

And, now l feel that I have never lost so much money on a gun deal....lol

Good for you Mike

gotta remember back in those days, Ruger was truing to line up many PDs or other "agencies" for marketing their double action revolvers, so these guns were sent out for tests or even taken to factory get togethers at some police range, the guns used, tested , tried out, came back and were refurbished, thus the "S" or in many cases a "U" ( Like the shotguns that went to Vandalia ,Ohio for the National traps shoots)
If guns came back from foreign countries, then many had importers markings on them, or proof marks........