Security Six ...."S"....Gun....UPDATE 01-25

Help Support Ruger Forum:

So, I was at the Tucson Az gun show today and found a Security Six with an " S" in the Ser #. I have owned a lot of "S" guns in my day, but have never seen or even heard of Security Six "S" gun before.........OK how rare is it?

Ser # 150-75XXXS. ONE OF THE LAST ONES MADE! Before going to the 151-

Clean up gun?

Scott

hittman

Staff member
Well Scott ...... your serial number is NOT one of the only SEVEN known by the folks at RENE.

This gun would be the model SDA-34.

RENE says the only "S" SDA-34 known is 150-03489S which is over 71,000 earlier than yours.

So, you have ......

1. A "low back".

2. A FIXED site Security Six.

3. The "S" serial number.

Quite the trifecta I'd say ..... good eye mr.deerstalker!

Terry T

Buckeye
Any 'S' gun is a rare beast indeed. Would you be bringing it to Boise for "show and tell"? :shock:
Terry T

I would be happy to bring to Boise, but all my finds in the category go to Hittman......

And as of a few seconds ago....he owns a new "S" gun.....and to be up found about it, i don't really like them to things. I only pick then up for him....

Scott

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Great Snag for a -Six collector!
I think there are only 12 total Type I (low back) "S" guns reported.
I have the only reported RDA-36 revolver #150-60372S.
Terry

Terry,
Funny how yours in a high back 150-60XXX , and this is a higher # low back at 150-75XXX, and there both S guns....hum....and high backs came out after the low backs where made.....I'm thinking this was a late clean up gun.....scott

Terry T

Buckeye
Low backs can be addicting.

The ones on the left are in .38 Spl. (only). Even harder to find.

There is at least a 30,000 ser. no. overlap between the lowest known high back and the highest known lowback. I believe both frames were cast side by side for a number of months.
My low back GA-36 is ser. no. 151-264xx and it's not the highest. High backs begin to appear in the 150-95xxx ser. no. range, I believe (running on memory here so... :oops: ).
With in individual models, the lowest and highest could be farther apart in Ser. no. range.

So...I'd like to confirm a high back with a 150-60xxx ser. no. - seems a bit low to me.
Terry T

Terry T

Buckeye
Thanks, "Hitman".
I believe in the nearly 10 years I've been tracking the Six Series double actions, I've only identified one other 6" stainless low back. (I did find a 3rd but the seller knew it left the factory as a 4" and was sent back to swap on a 6") The 2" stainless are also hard to find. I'd suggest haunting Gunbroker.com. I've made some of my best finds there.
.38 spl. (only) Six Series are quite rare going from maybe 20% of production for Service Sixs and Speed Sixs (LE market) to maybe only 5% of production for Security Sixes with even fewer with 6" barrels. Chad believes only about 500 RDA-86 Low Backs were made.
By the way, my SDA-34 Low Back is ser. no. 150-01244 meaning that the fixed sight frame was being cast from the beginning.

Some of the new 'rules' in Ca. are making it much more difficult to keep going on the hunt for the Six Series double actions. More and more I'm having to leave the fruit on the table for you guys. :shock: :(
I had these Low Backs out at the Washington Arms Collector annual display show at the end of Oct. 2015 as part of a larger display that won Best Hand Gun Display.
Terry T

Terry T

Buckeye
The huge number of documented variations alone was reason enough to begin to try to limit the collection to Service Sixs or Speed Sixs or 6" Security Sixs or ..... :shock:

I've actually had the best luck rounding up my First 20 Years of SP101s. (Had to limit it to only 20 years - they keep adding new variations!) One odd one to go and a couple of ordinary ones and I'll pretty much have the whole pile. The 101s are what are coming to Boise. I'd like to bring a truck load of double actions to another show in the Midwest or East. We'll see. It's a bit of a hike. I did enjoy my times at Harrisburg.

We'll want to hear how your 'S' letter comes out. Will be great if you get the 'extra' details. Sometimes even the ordinary info is revealing - one of my mis- stamped Speed Sixes didn't ship for a number of years after it was made. My guess is that Quality Control held it.
Terry T

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
mr.deerstalker said:
Terry,
Funny how yours in a high back 150-60XXX , and this is a higher # low back at 150-75XXX, and there both S guns....hum....and high backs came out after the low backs where made.....I'm thinking this was a late clean up gun.....scott

Mine is a low back framed gun, not a Type II high back frame gun.
Terry

Terry T

Buckeye
Thanks, T.A.
Sort of what I figured. Some fast and loose with some memories, I'd guess. It happens.
Terry T

Terry T

Buckeye
Thanks for the kind words, Scott.
Looking forward to meeting you in Boise this week.
Terry T

Terry T

Buckeye
Scott,
AWAYS nice to put a face to a name. (And I usually try to reserve 'judgment' until I've spent some time with someone. :shock: )

I'm bringing the SP101s. Near as I can tell from this forum, it may be the only SP101 collection of it's size going. Just don't seem to be a lot of comments here about rare or unusual SP101s. Besides, they're small and pack up easily. :D

My buddy, Dennis, is putting out an amazing Speed Six display that includes a few of mine. Should be very informative. Again, probably one of the largest concentrations of Speed Sixs. ("Weaslemeat" could probably out do us but he's on the other side of the country.)

Doing the (anti) snow dance - may have to chain up over the Sierra's. We do snow differently in Ca. than you do in Alaska. :shock:
Terry T

Terry T

Buckeye
Thanks for the additional warning, RR! :shock:
(I'll try to keep track of my drinks - at least dinner is in the same hotel as my room.)
:D
Terry T