Security Six or GP100?????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

one shot hunter

Bearcat
I am going to get another 357 revolver and I am down to a 4" Ruger Security Six or a 4" GP100. Any experience with either one or opinions on either would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I happen to have both. In fact, I have a pair of 4" Security-Sixes, and a 4" & 6" pair of GP-100's.
I enjoy all of them.
Either one is an excellent choice.
You will find a better selection of aftermarket grips for the GP than the discontinued SS.
The GP Match champion is one SWEET handling & shooting model.
The SS is a hard to beat staple to many of us here.

I guess it'll be your decision as to which one fits YOU better. Neither one will be a bad choice.

coach

Hunter
Just because the SS is discontinued, I'd probably go with the GP. Tell that to to owners and buyers of old model single actions though. If I already had a GP the SS would be interesting to acquire.

I had a 6" Security Six for 20 years and recently gave it a new home with a buddy who always admired it. I replaced it with a Match Champion, I put thousands of trouble free rounds through that SS and really liked that gun. The Match Champion is, as Contender said, and incredibly sweet gun, it's great right out of the box. I'm not a collector so I would recommend a GP100 over the SS for practical reasons, but if you like the idea of having an older gun you can't go wrong with a Security Six.

good info above, I've had LOTS of the older Speed,Service and Secuitry sixes, loved them ,carried them ,BUT they are NO longer "supported" or parts available, or serviced by the factory, sooooooo,go with current production, lots of good , current stuff out there,,,most of the "collectors" that I know have 'retired' their old models, especially if in the box ,as new, mint, safe queens ,whatever one likes to call them...the other guys, ( owners, users, have them shoot them) and will till they fall apart or quit................last few we had sent back to the factory for service, were NOT serviced, NO parts, and returned to the owners ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sorry discontinued is discontinued.......

jimd441

Blackhawk
As always, Contender make great points and the point about aftermarket grips became relevant to me. I bought a new 6 in. SS GP100 a few years ago and found the stock Hogue grips both ugly and not designed well for my fairly small hands. I replaced them with the old style rubber grips with the rosewood inserts which I really like.

Jim

brushunter

Single-Sixer
Never had a Security Six ... can't comment there. Had and have Gp-100s. At present I have a 3", a 6" , and a new 5 1/2 "- .22 Gp. ( having some technical problems with the .22. It'll work out though ) With a few spring changes and some tender care on the actions ... they're very fine revolvers. Tank strong ...probably over kill . Kinda fits my way of doing things. Watch for a good price , you can't go wrong.

regards brushunter

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Buy a GP100 and keep the workers in the anti-gun states working.
Although in my experiences:
I've had a brand-new GP100 that needed two PITA factory returns to be dependable/safe.
I've had no PITA factory returns with ANY of my Security-Six guns, to be dependable/safe
Experience talking.

eveled

Hawkeye
I wish every question had 2 good answers and no bad answer.

Seriously you can't go wrong with either, but I'd go with the GP just because it is still made and supported by the factory.

hittman

Staff member
The chances of you breaking a "discontinued" Six Series double action are slim. The chances of you not being able to fix it or get it fixed are very remote.

I'd have NO fear of the Six Series. In fact, I bought one yesterday. They're my all time favorite hand gun.

On the GP side, I've got 3-inch and 6-inch. Hard to go wrong with any GP either but .... they're heavier and more bulk just isn't that necessary.

Either one would serve you well. One (or more) of each would be even better.

Get a Security or Speed Six. Yep, the prices are climbing, but not yet out of reach. Odds are it'll never break, but if it ever did , there are lots of shooter-grade and/or parts guns available to facilitate repairs.

When folks say the P-Series Ruger autos are kind've clunky, I feel the same about a GP-100, when compared to a Security Six.

WAYNO.

You didn't say what your purpose for it is, but for carry I'd go with the Security Six. For target or hunting then the heft of the GP100 may be better. I have both and have had Security Six's for 35 years as they were my favorite back then, over Smith or anything else. Now, my 4" GP100 is what I use most. Extremely accurate and has a better sight system. Both are fine revolvers.

41-44-45-48

Single-Sixer
I faced the same dilemma a couple years back. Ended up finding a nice 4" security six in 95% condition for $300 on gunbroker and never looked back. Two years and about 1000 rnds of 357 later and it's in the same condition I bought it in. Yeah the collectors will tell you to put it away and buy a GP to shoot, but I don't believe in unused guns.

Just buy whichever one fits your hand best and/or presents the best deal.

Tip

Single-Sixer
As others have already said, you can't go wrong with either.
I found my 4" SS GP100 for a little over $300 in a local pawn shop late last year or early this year... I can't quite remember. It's a well-made sweet shooter -my wife even has enjoyed shooting it!
Made in 1988, it features the old-style rubber grips with Gonçalo Alves inserts and the solid pin grip frame. Both the single action and double action trigger pull is very smooth. The fit and overall quality is superb.

Good luck in your quest!
Lots of good Rugers out there.

i1l1sp.jpg

glockman99

Single-Sixer
I have had quite a few Ruger DA revolvers over the years, and I have to say the the GP100 is my favorite...I love the full-length underlug, (which you can't get in the "Six" series).

rwt1405

Bearcat
As for me, I'll take the SS's any day, all day, all week.

The feel in my hand is far superior to the GP's, but that's just me I guess.

I have two ss models, a 2 3/4 and a 6in both in stainless. Also have
a 6in blue GP100. I like the SS models better ( feel and size) however
If I was inclined to shoot lots of hot, max loaded, fire breathing stuff
I'd use the GP100, I think it's a stronger built gun.
The 6 inch SS was bought new in about 1980 and has many thousands
of rounds through it.....still very tight.
Dave

Latest posts