Ruger with Colt grip frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
So I was wondering is it possible to make a Colt SAA grip frame work on a Ruger Single Action. I know the main spring setups are way different as well as the hammers. I just wonder if anyone has done it or tried it. Thanks

Xrayist

Single-Sixer
Power Custom makes a Colt spec frame for Ruger single actions. There is a video on fitting one. I personally think it could be done without the need for rebluing, as shown in the video due to a lot of file marks on frame after fitting. One other issue, for me, is that you need to either use the grips they sell, or have custom grips made, or modify a set because they use 2 grip screws to attach.

have way too many of the old Colt single action 22 frames cracked at the back top over the years due to the mainsping type of setup........do whats noted above..... ;)

picture shows "why"........ then theres the SAA.....

Attachments

• Colt scout  or new frontier grip frame....jpg
    Colt scout or new frontier grip frame....jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Colt SAA grip frame.....jpg
    Colt SAA grip frame.....jpg
    7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
Power Custom makes a Colt spec frame for Ruger single actions. There is a video on fitting one. I personally think it could be done without the need for rebluing, as shown in the video due to a lot of file marks on frame after fitting. One other issue, for me, is that you need to either use the grips they sell, or have custom grips made, or modify a set because they use 2 grip screws to attach.
Thanks for the heads up I watched the video it looks pretty labor intensive to make it work. I will look at it but it might not make the cut as being done by me. Thanks again

Paul B

Hunter
Do it the easy way, buy an old model flattop.
I have a couple of flattops but I am not sure what you mean. How does that make a grip frame fit any easier unless you are referring to the lock work of the revolver itself.

If I understand it correctly, the original old model flattops used the exact same type grip frame as the Colts. I have both, an OM .44 mag and an original Colt from 1908 and I can't tell the difference in the feel or look of the grips or frame. I'd give it a try for spits and grins but my clumsy hands would probably bugger up a few screws so I'll let someone else give it a try.
Paul B.

DGW1949

Hunter
So I was wondering is it possible to make a Colt SAA grip frame work on a Ruger Single Action. I know the main spring setups are way different as well as the hammers. I just wonder if anyone has done it or tried it. Thanks
It's been done before but as you have guessed, it takes a LOT of work....Once upon a time, I began posting photos of an OM-357 that I was doing using a Uberti (Colt copy) gripframe. I got about 2 or 3 post into presenting the process when Flatgate himself interrupted my efforts to explain that it had not only been done before, but that there had been a write up presented before....so....I took that to mean that for some reason he didn't much want me to post additional info, and that was that....I can say for sure that the conversion does make for a better balanced (as well as a much stronger) six gun than the el-cheapo pot metal XR3 grip frame that Ruger used......At any rate, all of that aside...yeah, it is doable.

DGW

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Adapting a Colt grip frame to a Ruger would take more work than it's worth and requires welding to use the Ruger hammer spring.

The Power Custom is an excellent choice but a little pricey. And as posted above requires fitting and bluing.

The OM Ruger XR3 alloy grip frame (1953 - 1963) is a very close copy of the Colt SAA grip frame. But not quite close enough for the Colt grips to exactly fit. So is the NM Ruger New Vaquero/Flattop Blackhawk steel grip frame which can be easily adapted to OM Rugers.

My favorite for a Colt size steel grip frame on a Ruger (and I've done several):
Get a used Ruger NM take-off grip frame, fitting to your cylinder frame is not usually needed and it's already blued. If you buy a new grip frame from Ruger lots of fitting to your cylinder frame is required as well as bluing the grip frame which comes in the white. But you can get it in stainless steel. (Note the Ruger steel grip frame is 7/16" wide instead of the 1/2" of all other Ruger grip frames and the Colt, although doesn't really matter).

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
It's been done before but as you have guessed, it takes a LOT of work....Once upon a time, I began posting photos of an OM-357 that I was doing using a Uberti (Colt copy) gripframe. I got about 2 or 3 post into presenting the process when Flatgate himself interrupted my efforts to explain that it had not only been done before, but that there had been a write up presented before....so....I took that to mean that for some reason he didn't much want me to post additional info, and that was that....I can say for sure that the conversion does make for a better balanced (as well as a much stronger) six gun than the el-cheapo pot metal XR3 grip frame that Ruger used......At any rate, all of that aside...yeah, it is doable.

DGW
Yeah when I looked at it I realized it would be a task if attempted. I may be just moving on from the grip frames and did something different down the road. Thanks

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
Adapting a Colt grip frame to a Ruger would take more work than it's worth and requires welding to use the Ruger hammer spring.

The Power Custom is an excellent choice but a little pricey. And as posted above requires fitting and bluing.

The OM Ruger XR3 alloy grip frame (1953 - 1963) is a very close copy of the Colt SAA grip frame. But not quite close enough for the Colt grips to exactly fit. So is the NM Ruger New Vaquero/Flattop Blackhawk steel grip frame which can be easily adapted to OM Rugers.

My favorite for a Colt size steel grip frame on a Ruger (and I've done several):
Get a used Ruger NM take-off grip frame, fitting to your cylinder frame is not usually needed and it's already blued. If you buy a new grip frame from Ruger lots of fitting to your cylinder frame is required as well as bluing the grip frame which comes in the white. But you can get it in stainless steel. (Note the Ruger steel grip frame is 7/16" wide instead of the 1/2" of all other Ruger grip frames and the Colt, although doesn't really matter).
Yeah I realized it would be a lot of work I just didn't k ow if someone had retrofitted something to make it easier. I have 2 brass frames I was hoping I could use some how but I guess I will just send them down the line and move on. Thanks

I have installed several grip frames from RW Gripframes. Ronnie makes CNC machined frames out of brass and aluminum to fit both NM and 3 Screw Rugers. There are both original style reproductions and custom designs available in brass and aluminum. He can supply rough fitted grip panels also.

They are not cheap but they are works of art. Aluminum is currently $300 and brass $350.

As far as fitting, there is minimal work required compared to Ruger replacement parts. I have never had to reblue or even touch up a frame- you sand down the excess and sneak up on a perfect match. I scribe a line on the new frame as a guide. Or, Ronnie will do it for you for $150 currently.

I can post pics of the fitting process if anyone's interested.

I just fit this one- Dealer model- to my .357. It's going out for E100 Cerakote soon.
IMG_7641.jpeg

And a brass one on a Single Six.
IMG_6337.jpeg
IMG_6336.jpeg

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
I have installed several grip frames from RW Gripframes. Ronnie makes CNC machined frames out of brass and aluminum to fit both NM and 3 Screw Rugers. There are both original style reproductions and custom designs available in brass and aluminum. He can supply rough fitted grip panels also.

They are not cheap but they are works of art. Aluminum is currently $300 and brass $350.

As far as fitting, there is minimal work required compared to Ruger replacement parts. I have never had to reblue or even touch up a frame- you sand down the excess and sneak up on a perfect match. I scribe a line on the new frame as a guide. Or, Ronnie will do it for you for $150 currently.

I can post pics of the fitting process if anyone's interested.

I just fit this one- Dealer model- to my .357. It's going out for E100 Cerakote soon.
View attachment 24496

And a brass one on a Single Six. View attachment 24497View attachment 24498
I saw some of his stuff earlier they are really nice. I have come to terms that the Colt grip frame will not be fitted to a Ruger by me at least. I will look into doing a different frame later. I was hoping to make something work I had laying around but I guess not. Thanks

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I saw some of his stuff earlier they are really nice. I have come to terms that the Colt grip frame will not be fitted to a Ruger by me at least. I will look into doing a different frame later. I was hoping to make something work I had laying around but I guess not. Thanks
If you look in on-line auctions you can find the NM Ruger Colt-size grip frame used, it's a bolt on if you're putting it on a NM Ruger.

Sharps40

Buckeye
No welding required. You can use colt or Italian parts or the very expensive made to order stuff. Screw grip panels or one piece. Conversion from flat to coil spring is easy. Works for om, nm and big vaquero frames. All doable with hand tools.

Samples of dozens I've done from odt site as the photos survived the imgur crash but not here. Also a few of my non coltish grips from tincanbandit blog.

Last edited:

Sharps40

Buckeye
@DGW1949. Your conversion may be different. Even if not it's valued work and worthy of posting. Had I listened to folks on my first, the 1860 Army Blackhawk, Dad wouldn't have a a custom gun combined from 2 of mine.

DGW1949

Hunter
@DGW1949. Your conversion may be different. Even if not it's valued work and worthy of posting. Had I listened to folks on my first, the 1860 Army Blackhawk, Dad wouldn't have a a custom gun combined from 2 of mine.
Thank you for the support and encouragement.The episode that I was speaking of took place at least a dozen years ago. During that era, 'Flatgate' was the man in charge of this forum and like I said, he didn't seem all that keen on my continuing to post about it. So being's how I was the visitor in someone else's house (so to speak), I let it go at that....Simply put, that ship has done sailed.

Respectfully,

DGW

Latest posts