Ruger Super Single-Six Always Convertible???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
chet15 said:
Hondo44 said:
When the Stainless (K code in model number) new models 1st came out there as a shortage of SS cylinder barstock. So Ruger shipped guns for a short time w/ LR cylinders only and stamped w/a star as mentioned above.

Hondo44...I wouldn't say that was the case. I think Ruger was looking for more products to help fill every customer need. Most owners never put more than a few rounds throught their WMR cylinder if at all. But I think after the star marked production in 1975 that Ruger came to the conclusion (obviously through distributor orders) that everybody wanted the extra "added value" of the convertible model "in case" they ever did want to shoot Mags through it, so the LR only models were dropped.
Ruger continued to offer and manufacture the convertible models during the same time the star marked LR only guns were offered in the 74/75 time period.
A mere 11 years later in 1986 however, the old timers must have forgotten the sales lesson learned in 1975 as they again tried an LR only model in the four barrel lengths of their blue models (the arrow or "house" marked guns"). This time Ruger only offered the LR only "SSR" models and dropped the convertibles for a short period. The experiment worked and it was obvious after this that the public wanted the convertible.
Chet15

I bought my star KS 4 Single Cylinder # 63-30100 brand new on 4/16/75. All I know is I was very curious about the single cylinder and at the time, the writeups reported the barstock shortage as the reason and that since the stainless guns were new, Ruger wanted to get as many as possible out the door as fast as possible.

Big Larry

Bearcat
Good info. There are not a lot of guns around from bygone years still owned by the original owners. I have a 1954 Remington 513-T that I got for my 13th birthday. Still looks like new. Thanks for the great info. I can always count on the guys from this Forum. Thanks, Big Larry

chet15

Hawkeye
Hondo44 said:
I bought my star KS 4 Single Cylinder # 63-30100 brand new on 4/16/75. All I know is I was very curious about the single cylinder and at the time, the writeups reported the barstock shortage as the reason and that since the stainless guns were new, Ruger wanted to get as many as possible out the door as fast as possible.

Hmm. Hadn't heard that before. I do know their other SA production didn't drop off one bit though. In fact Ruger made tens of thousands more SA's than they did the year before.
Chet15

Hondo44

Hawkeye
chet15 said:
Hondo44 said:

Hmm. Hadn't heard that before. I do know their other SA production didn't drop off one bit though. In fact Ruger made tens of thousands more SA's than they did the year before.
Chet15

I remember also, the single cyl guns were looked at with disdain by prospective buyers. That told me to BUY IT (smile)! I wasn't that savvy about Ruger collecting at the time, but I immediately thought...hmm...future collectible??

Right after that I found another KS-4 Liberty Model convertible, but used, no box. Also bought it anyway and still have it as well. The KS-4s not being cataloged got my attention as well.