Ruger Subscription List

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Due to the "evolution" of who was a subscriber,, a truly detailed list isn't around as far as I know. Back in the beginning of things,, there were fewer "subscription holders",, and as the program grew,, and some stopped or passed away,, numbers got reassigned, as well as the addition of the number of subscribers.
Maybe chet15 has an idea of who may have been the owner of # 500-00244 in 1980.

..good info above and th e trouble is all too many of the "new" models ever got taken by the "so-called" low number, subscripton 'list'; we used to see many low numbered "new" models at any given gun show...folks used to bring them to me as I was THE Rugerguy locally....now days every dealer, table holder buys any Ruger before I ever see them now.........:unsure::(;)

chet15

Hawkeye
Does anybody know who might have had S/N 244 on the sub list in 1980? The gun was shipped to a Distributor in Kansas,

If the gun was shipped to a distributor, the only entity that "may" have been that subscriber would have been the distributor. Subscription guns were generally shipped right to the recipient.
Chet15

anachronism

Single-Sixer
Any ideas on how to value it? I'm certain it has been fired after leaving the factory, and I think I fed it a box myself several years ago, but if I mention this it could pass for new unfired. I bought it to cut to 4 in. as a belt gun, but if the values there I'll just find something else to tinker with. Most of the first year guns on GunBroker aren't presented as first year guns so the prices I see them moving for aren't high.

hittman

Staff member
More info needed for value. Honestly, the double actions aren't popular like single action Rugers …. At least not to most folks. Any premium on a low serial number will be minimal or at least you have a very very limited market of people desiring them.

Tell us about the whole package.
Original box with end label?
What condition is the box?
Is the shipper included and what is that condition?
Is the owners manual, plastic sack, etc. included?
Blued or stainless?
Barrel length?
I think it's 44 Mag …. Is that correct?

For example …. I know someone looking for a blued 5.5 inch. Not sure if "new in box" or low number means anything to them but …. Ya never know.

Last edited:

chet15

Hawkeye
As a note of interest, the early Redhawks could have one of three different front sight blades. The earliest to be shipped had a front sight without red insert. Then came a few with a "dovetailed" red insert. And after that was a red insert that is "V" shaped with rounded bottom.
Chet15

Last edited:

anachronism

Single-Sixer
Mine is a plain black ramped sight with the interchangeable base design still in use to this day. There was also an interchangeable plain black sight held in place with an allen head setscrew coming in from the front. I suspect these guns were press issue prototypes and are seen in the old magazines with black dots on the sides of the front sight riser. My Redhawk also has the correct stepped ejector housing that carried through into mid to later 1981 before being replaced with the current profile.

Latest posts