Ruger SR9 issues

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mobcittty

Bearcat
I have a sr9 that has problems from the day i bought it over a year ago.The first issue is the feed ramp. The bullets would get dented on the tip from hitting the feed ramp.Sent it in for the recall and to get a new barrel.Well i get it back and the bullets are still getting dented.I fired it 200 times and the barrel started peening. I got so pissed with ruger I threw the pistol in the safe and not have touched it since.I would not even sell this pistol to someone i dont know.

My question is What is ruger doing about these problems?It looks like a barrel issue.They need to redesign the barrel again.I wish they would give a refund.I wanted to ask here first before i call them again..

Thanks,
mobcittty

slippingaway

Blackhawk
I haven't heard of them giving refunds, the most I've heard of is them actually destroying the gun, and sending out a new one.

I know this isn't a fun process, but it seems the only way to get a good final resolution out of them is to keep sending it back. When you call them, politely explain the situation, tell them it wasn't repaired to your satisfaction, and request a pre-paid mailer. Unfortunately, you may have to do this a couple more times before they either get it fixed right, or get tired of dealing with it and give you a new one.

I'm not sure where you bought it originally, but in the future remember that sometimes it's worth $10 or $20 extra to buy it from a local gun store that will help you with these things. Of all the gun stores near me, I know that some won't help you at all once you buy the gun, some will help you deal with sending it back, but one will take complete charge of getting it fixed for you, or refund your money if you desire. They charge a little more, but it's a small price to pay if you ever have a situation when you need their help. Did you ever contact the dealer you bought the gun from for any help?

contender

Ruger Guru
First,, Welcome to the Forum!
Now,, as mentioned above,, you should contact Ruger directly,, & POLITELY explain your concerns & unhappiness. They WILL work towards making you happy. You can either leave the gun laying in your safe & be upset,, or be proactive & get it fixed.
Mine is enjoying a good run in the Production catagory in USPSA competition. (It's running fine,, but I'm not as used to it as my 1911!) :D

mobcittty

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies.Yes i have contacted to store where i bought it.THey told me to contact ruger.I will call them again.

Has anybody that has got there barrel replaced and are still getting the peening on the new barrel?What about the angle of the reed ramp where the bullet is getting dented.Have they redesigned the barrel are they just putting the same old barrels in them.

I dont think these problems be would happening if good ole bill was still alive.

Thanks,
mobcittty

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Three barrels and over a year later Ruger replaced my SR9. I did not have problems with the feed ramp. I have looked at current production SR9s barrel looks the same to me. Good news is so far my SR9 is problem free.

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
mobcittty":1dzt1a40 said:
Thanks for the replies.Yes i have contacted to store where i bought it.THey told me to contact ruger.I will call them again.

Has anybody that has got there barrel replaced and are still getting the peening on the new barrel?What about the angle of the reed ramp where the bullet is getting dented.Have they redesigned the barrel are they just putting the same old barrels in them.

I dont think these problems be would happening if good ole bill was still alive.

Thanks,
mobcittty

Hello, I called Ruger and told them about the barrel Peening and ask them for a Mailing slip + a box to sent it in with. Also it helps to write a note of your issues , put in with gun for their "smith " to see. Thats what I did, 10 days later I got it back with a better fitting new barrel. Hopes this help ya.....

graygun

Hunter
mike7mm08":3ts72p2p said:
Three barrels and over a year later Ruger replaced my SR9. I did not have problems with the feed ramp. I have looked at current production SR9s barrel looks the same to me. Good news is so far my SR9 is problem free.

How many rounds-fired has it been problem free?

mike7mm08

Buckeye
About three hundred. First SR9 showed extreme peening after a couple mags through each barrel. The last barrel began peening after working the slide about a couple dozen times and never firing it.

mobcittty

Bearcat
mike7mm08":39d0i0h7 said:
About three hundred. First SR9 showed extreme peening after a couple mags through each barrel. The last barrel began peening after working the slide about a couple dozen times and never firing it.

Does the pistol you have now have peening?How many round you have through the barrel?That crazy you got peening from just racking the side.They must be using some low grade metal.

Does anyone know if any company are making aftermarket barrels?If not someone needs to look into making some.

mobcittty

mike7mm08

Buckeye
New pistol has a shiny spot where the peening occurs but no actual peening yet. Been about three hundred rounds. I have not been shooting it much. Too cold and too much snow to be chasing brass. Once it warms up I am going to run a least a 1000 rounds through in one session. Any sign of peening it is going back and Ruger can write me check. I have put up with this crap for way too long.

P.Ted

Bearcat
i'm glad it is finally working out for you. i sent my sr9 back, they paid for shipping both ways, and the trigger is smoother, they polished the ramp, and everything is fine.

i called ruger for a separate incident, asking to buy a striker cover. it had been damaged. the ruger rep said they would send it to me for free.

i'm very happy with ruger's customer service. mike, hope this replacement sr9 works well for you.

Bagger

Bearcat
I hate to sound stupid ... perhaps I am .... but, I've seen this "peening" issue on several Ruger forums.

What exactly should I be looking for in my SR9 to see if peening is a problem for me?

Thanx.

Scott

Single-Sixer
use the search on this forum and you'll see pictures - enter "SR peening" or just "peening" or something similar. I have about 250 rounds through mine and no problems yet

Talegunner

Bearcat
Bagger":110qjeif said:
I hate to sound stupid ... perhaps I am .... but, I've seen this "peening" issue on several Ruger forums.

What exactly should I be looking for in my SR9 to see if peening is a problem for me?

Thanx.

DSC_0258.jpg