Ruger SR556E Picatinny 9" Rails?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RazinKane69

Bearcat
Anyone know where I can get 3 9" Picatinny rails for my 556E? Is Shopruger.com the only place to get them or does another company make an aftermarket rail? I called Ruger and they have no expected date of delivery in which they will receive another shipment of the 9"rails.

tigerbat7

Bearcat
I have a brand new set of all 3 (both sides and bottom 9'' ruger rails for my SR556e that I have decided I'am not going to install on my rifle ! If you want I will sell them if you want them ? I would like to sell them as a packaged deal as I don't need them.

tigerbat7

Bearcat
just checking to see if you got hung up last Thursday ? the rails are still available! let me know what you want to do ?

hittman

Staff member
That member hasn't visited here since 2017.
Once you have 10 posts or become a Supporting Member you can use Classifieds here.
Welcome to the forum.

Placentasaur

Bearcat
What mounting type does Ruger use? M-lok, Keymod, or proprietary?
More M-lok and Keymod 'rails' than you can shake a stick at most anywhere you look.
For 2009 this was probably a great idea to reduce size and weight, but the Ruger SR-556E model came with only a single top rail. The bottom and side of the handguard are drilled and tapped to install them later but now it's discontinued and finding even something as simple as picatinny rails with the correct 2" hole spacing and curved bottom seems impossible. The handgaurd is installed with rivets and says in the handbook for it to only be removed in house by Ruger as it requires special tools to reinstall properly. Basically, it's extremely proprietary to Ruger. It also has a piston system integrated on the barrel so I'm sure going through ruger for a more modern handguard would also be like pulling teeth if they even still have any of then laying around.

Attachments

• 556e.jpg
    556e.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 47

NikA

Buckeye
@Placentasaur I wonder if you're measuring the dimensions you need correctly? 1.97" hole spacing would be an even number of Picatinny slots (5 center-to-center), which might be more generally available. Rails radiused to fit round handguards also seem to be somewhat available. Bottom line, I'd guess with some careful measuring you could find something that is not 10 years out of production.

Placentasaur

Bearcat
If that is in fact the case I would love a few suggestions as far as websites that I might find them. I'm sure you're correct in the 1.97 spacing and again the bottom would be rounded much like a rail for a 10/22. I'm not at all concerned with the manufacturer so long as they fit. Thus far I've learned that rail sections for Ruger SR-22, SR-556 and SR-762 are all compatible excluding the top rails and that the handguard on mine was manufactured by Nordic. Google searches lead to an abundance of M-lok and keymod references as the SR-556 did get more modern variations with updated handguards before it was discontinued. Every website I have found so far that did offer the rails I need have said discontinued, out of stock or no longer exists.

hittman

Staff member
Maybe this has been asked or answered before in this thread but ….. you call Ruger for info?

Placentasaur

Bearcat
Maybe this has been asked or answered before in this thread but ….. you call Ruger for info?
I didn't know this was going to be such an ordeal. I emailed them a week ago and just recieved a response today saying to call them for more information. So that's happening asap. I suppose I'll also inquire about the possibility of swapping out the handgaurd entirely to a more modern Mlok configuration. I appreciate you guys responses though.

hittman

Staff member
Oh it's not an ordeal …. Just an adventure.
I refuse to stress over my hobby …. just roll with the flow.

NikA

Buckeye
In my searching I found 2 possibly helpful items:

First, this inexpensive rail on Amazon that might just work for you (not 9 inch, but it took 2 minutes to find so there are likely other options): Amazon product ASIN B078WPMJV8
Second, these posts referencing cross-compatibility with Ruger SR22 rifle rails:

The SR-22 rails appear to be currently available, at least in Canada. Not sure about stateside. Amazon has a short section available:
Amazon product ASIN B017WR83I4

9x19

Hunter
If it's Nordic, you can buy this and chop it down however you like... some Birchwood Casey Aluma-Black on the ends, cured with a hair dryer and you're golden. I've done exactly that for my SR-22 rifles with Nordic hand-guards.

JnkHIm3.jpg

Placentasaur

Bearcat
Again, I appreciate you guys. I just got off the phone with Ruger. I was told I'm out of luck as far as getting the rails or handguards through them. The lady was nice as could be and lowered her voice to tell me "we aren't supposed to encourage aftermarket products but that, or finding a gunsmith is your best bet" lmao.

Those Amazon items were going to be my last ditch effort. I have looked at those, read every review, saw the terrible reviews with pictures and that people were complaining about even putting them on airsoft rifles and decided to not roll those dice. I very well may still try them for 11 bucks though. The Nordic link refers to "top rail" which deterred me from that as the holes for the top rail on the SR's are not the same as the sides, or bottom. Looks like my options are try the Amazon air rifle 2 star reviewed rails or roll the dice on the Nordic customs and drill some new holes if they aren't correct. I'm a licensed plumber/inspector. I could probably kinda sorta make that work. The curvature of the bottom is the only thing that would throw me off if it weren't correct. I did find nice looking "universal" rails on Amazon that looked like they'd be just fine if the bottoms weren't flat.

Latest posts