Ruger SP101 22LR - is the DA trigger pull really a safety...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mikem2

Single-Sixer
One of these was lucky enough to finds its way home with me the other week. Perfect size and weight. Nice accuracy, built to last, sights are nice, the rear sight wind age adjustment isn't exactly smooth, but its fun to shoot.

The double action trigger pull is ridiculous, it's off my trigger pull scale! The spring is much heavier than necessary. I don't think any amount of polishing would improve the DA trigger weight.

Replacing the hammer spring appears to be the necessary fix. I know it has to remain at 12 or 10 to assure solid strikes. But this is way overkill for weight from the factory. I have read that sending it back gets a trigger fix. Can't be much to replace the hammer spring and check out the results.

I really like this Ruger 22.

DPris

Buckeye
It's heavy to ensure reliable ignition.
Sometimes a lighter spring works, sometimes it doesn't.
Denis

Karebru

Bearcat
I used the information in the above link to give mine a super good cleaning. Yes, there was a few flakes and some metal powder in there. I was afraid to start sanding on parts, but even the cleaning made it run smoother. I posted on the revolver forum about Wolff Springs. According to their website, their spring kit won't (or may not?) work with the 2011 and later SP101s, in 22lr ... No responses from anyone who's tried it.
I really like the gun. It's worth it to me to take it to my smith one of these days for some trigger work.

mikem2

Single-Sixer
I like the pistol. Any out of the box pistol should not require tear down, sand, polish, and springs, especially at $550+.

That said, I also was told the wolf spring kit would not work. Trigger and hammer springs on rimfires need to be just right or you have FTF/light strikes. I watched the videos and read the articles. Plan changing the hammer spring first and check it out for improvement.

It could shoot as well as my Smith 63 if the trigger was better....

Thanks for the input.

jadek44

Single-Sixer
Sadley Ruger wants us to be quality control.Even a Mark 3 entry level pistol should NOT have to be stripped and cleaned of the stuff left by manufacturing. After my last Ruger purchase I will NOT be buying another. Never had to send a S&W back. When a company has the piece more than you do something is not right.Thank goodness my dealer bought it back..My old 77,10-22, mini30 never had a hiccup.

mikem2

Single-Sixer
It is ironic that the MK series of 22 pistols seems to offer out of the box quality and accuracy.

The sp101 is like able but has quirks the factory process should address before it departs the factory.

paochow

Bearcat
The Wolff kit fits in the newer 22 SP101's but may give light strikes if you put in the lighter hammer spring. I ended up using the Wolff trigger spring and the 14# stock spring for a SP101 .357. That some polishing and a shim kit and I now have a great trigger.

paochow

Bearcat
It prevents the trigger and hammer from rubbing on the frame, increasing the pull weight and taking some of the hammer force away. Not necessary on all guns, but if you see drag marks on your trigger or hammer it can help prevent that contact.

mattsbox99

Hunter
jadek44 said:
Sadley Ruger wants us to be quality control.Even a Mark 3 entry level pistol should NOT have to be stripped and cleaned of the stuff left by manufacturing. After my last Ruger purchase I will NOT be buying another. Never had to send a S&W back. When a company has the piece more than you do something is not right.Thank goodness my dealer bought it back..My old 77,10-22, mini30 never had a hiccup.

You haven't owned very many S&Ws then. :)

Of all the new S&Ws I've purchased, I've sent back all but one. Granted they were fixed in a timely manner and with free shipping, so I'm not actually complaining.

In the 60+ Rugers I own, I just sent my first one back. That one is worthy of a complaint as the barrel and cylinder weren't lined up. Again, they are fixing it at no cost to me, so that is fair.

---

I have the Wolff trigger spring & 12lb mainspring in my new .22 SP101. Its reliable with Federal and CCI bulk pack, Remington was a no go though. I've had better accuracy overall with unplated bullets.

PO2Hammer

Single-Sixer
jadek44 said:
I've had to return several Smiths including their model 63 .22 revolver. The first barrel something had obviously gone wrong during rifling, there were deep gouges on top of the lands. returned/repaired. 2nd barrel not much better, still leaded terribly. Sent it back, 'within spec's' was their reply.
952, 624, Model 10 all needed attention.

When I bought my new GP100 I was comparing it to a 686 SSR. The Ruger had much better overall quality. The 686 SSR had quite a few visible issues.

IMO, Ruger quality is better than it was 10 years ago, S&W quality is less than it was 10 years ago.