Ruger Sixguns abroad (greetings from Italy!)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GoFullAuto

Bearcat
Hello people!

I haven't been writing for almost 1 year, but kept visiting to read your experiences and see your fantastic pictures :)

Fall is when I throttle back on the bikes... and automatically get back on the guns! About 2 weeks ago, went into a new-to-me gun shop, and stumbled in one piece I've always dreamed about, but almost never seen here! Well, to you Yankees it's just the millionth SBH shorty, but you'll forgive my enthusiasm... i just HAD to take it! :D :D

Cute.jpg

I just LOVE the "gunfighter" shape of this barrel + extractor combination
Muzzle2.jpg

Obviously, my 1988 Redhawk came out to check the newcomer. It's a good thing revolvers don't care about "territory" issues. Rather than fighting, they had a good time POSING :D

DuoUp.jpg

Gate guardians...
Duodown.jpg

Acting duellists...
Duoduel.jpg

Naval muzzles :shock:
Duomuzzles.jpg

I've been enjoying my RH for so many years... only NOW, in comparing with the SBH, do I realize what a MASSIVE piece it is! The difference did show a lot in terms of recoil too! :shock: :shock:

Well, in Italy all we can do with these blasters is: having fun and whacking up the firing line :lol: , while punching paper. No hunting allowed with handguns here. Europe is a crowded place. :roll:

Hope you enjoy this modest contribution (many of the pics here are waaay too fantastic) :) :)

Ciao!

GfA

GoFullAuto

Bearcat
Aw, thanks a lot :)

Just finished cleaning 'em. Just one glitch with the SBH: today I started with my magnum reloads, about 2/tenths of grain over manual maximum (the RH eats them up with no issue). Five "booms", then I try to punch out the cases... turns out two cases were stuck, exiting about 5 - 7mm and that was it :shock: . Had to pull out the cylinder and hammer those out. They were (I don't know the exact word for it) "bellied out", or "inflated", about mid length.

Tried the loads in the RH, all perfect.

Tried again in the BH, again 2 chambers would allow the cases to "inflate". Again cylinder out, etc. :?

So I finished off the handloads in the RH, and proceeded to shoot the SBH with Blazer aluminum - cased 200-grain HP .44 specials

Idda.jpg

Yep, lots of fliers ( :oops: ), but I wanted a picture of my "maiden target" with the SBH :wink:

By the way, these specials really turned the SBH into a super - pleasant "target gun", evidently showing it could shoot lots better than I could! Finally did the last 10 - rounds one handed, so enjoyable are the ergonomics of this modern classic!!! :D :D I could REALLY give a meaning to all the famous "natural pointing" expressions normally referred to the "Peacemaker" layout :) :) :)

I hope there's nothing wrong with those two chambers. 1st thing, I'll run a box of Magnum factory ammo (tough job but someone gotta do it :D ), to reduce variables and decide what to do.

Man, this is the FIRST gun ever I enjoy dry - firing as much as shooting! It's opening new worlds to me! :D

Ciao

GfA

Motex66

Single-Sixer
The shiney side up the greasy side down. Means don't wreck the bike it hurts.
loved my time in Italy.
Have fun be careful.
John

contender

Ruger Guru
Do not be ashamed of entheusiam at getting a new gun. Especially when it's something you've wanted for a long time. And, those grips look very nice.
As for shooting "hot" loads, and the cases bulging a bit,,, study your reloads a bit to see if you are within the safety specs for most 44 mags. You bike racers do tend to push the envelope a bit,,,! :D

GoFullAuto

Bearcat
Thanks again, people :)

Yes, I'll definitely check the loads. What worries me a bit is that only 2 chambers showed the issue, I hope there's nothing wrong with them :?

For sure I'm no super - precise reloader. I'm especially doubtful about the quality of my crimping (when is it "not enough" and when is it "too much"?), which I feel can affect final pressures quite a bit.

Well anyway, that's a great excuse to just buy and burn a box of beautiful factory ammo :D

And keep the RH for those doubtful situations 8)

By
GfA

41 Magnum

Single-Sixer
When reaching for, or "exceeding" max loads, You must become a super precise reloader !!! 2/10 of a grain may not mean much in a mid-range target load, but when You are already at the max load, or above it, 1/10th. of a grain can mean the difference between a hot load & a destroyed revolver, . . . . OR WORSE !!! Reloading is not a hobby to be taken lightly ! No disrespect, but I'd just hate to see where You had blown of any body parts, or seriously injured Yourself or others.

Perhaps even now, You should have the SBH looked at by a competent gunsmith, just to be safe.

GoFullAuto

Bearcat
Advice taken loud and clear, .41 Magnum. Thank you for the info (I was honestly lacking in knowledge) :wink:

I definitely benefit from the vast experience here, and will throttle back on the loads. The Vihtavuori N110 looks like a very volume - eating powder too, easily filling all case capacity, probably another contributing factor. I think I was "spoiled" by the Redhawk stoutness (which I'm coming to appreciate more and more! :shock: )

I'll bet this forum already has a topic about "your favorite .44 magnum handload". I'll try searching. Alas, in Italy we are quite limited with components choice. Apart from the Vihta, maybe we can find some Hodgdon H110. >240 grain bullets are also quite rare. Not that we have any elk to hunt... it would be just to see how it feels :D

Thanks again :wink:

GfA

dougader

Hunter
Great pictures of great guns.

I loved my visit to Italy also... Milan, Firenze, Aviano, Mezzocorona. And everything we ate there was delicious.

GoFullAuto

Bearcat
dougader":u9haeqfc said:
Great pictures of great guns.

I loved my visit to Italy also... Milan, Firenze, Aviano, Mezzocorona. And everything we ate there was delicious.

Thanks a lot :)
I see even landscapes can be posted in the Gallery. This evening I'll go looking for some pictures of Tuscany, taken on my bike trips. Hope to come up with something good - looking! :)

By
GfA